Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:58 PM

558 posts, read 1,121,066 times

Advertisements

I have a 97 Sidekick Sport (that's the 4 door 4x4 version, not the tiny ragtop) with 160k+ and this summer I will be driving about 5000k roundtrip. Being the frugal, or cheapskate, that I am I wont pay for a rental or hotel rooms. Tried trading her in for a van but nobody wants my old beater. I am setting off on an adventure by myself. I am working on my screenplay while traveling and plan on taking my time, enjoying the southwest scenery.
I have a schematic I measured out and I will be removing all but the driver seat and setting up my Coleman camper bed (yep it fits perfectly and leaves room underneath for storage). I plan to be on the road for several weeks, so before you say I am nuts think of how much the hotel bills would be. Plus I want an adventure. Sure maybe after 2 weeks I may treat myself to 1 night at a motel but most will be in my suv.
My mechanic says my car is in great shape for it's age. I plan to bring an extra belt, and a couple radiator hoses and tools just in case. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have faith or I wouldn't start off on a journey this big.
Have any of you made long treks in old cars? What advice would you give me?
(I have a similar thread in the rv section so sorry bout that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 02:46 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,607,234 times
Go for it. Those are known for dura and reli- ability.
Our all time favorite 84 Expo LR-V had well over 200 000 miles when I drove her from Nashville to OKC, then back. I had that little minivan all over the places, to WI and Chicago. Then my wife used her as cargo car, for topsoil and such.
160 000 miles is nothing.
Also, cruising on FWY is very gentle on cars. Make sure cruise works and if she does not have one, have it added.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
yes in fact i have. my aunt gave me her 64 falcon about ten years ago, and the next season i drove it to the park where i was working. the only issue i had was the transmission broke second gear, and i drive it home 2000 miles that way, pulling a small trailer. a few years later i bought a 66 falcon, in virginia, and drove it home 2000 miles.

Old 02-28-2014, 02:58 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,188,168 times
Sounds to me like you have the fundamentals well in hand for such an "adventure".

Other than a few emergency type items ... such as the belt and hoses (if you think they may be suspect) ... and your modest toolkit .... unless you are heading to very remote locations, is more than sufficient. Your vehicle in good condition will likely be the least of your concerns in the travels, but parts would be reasonably available almost anywhere and you can take care of issues there on a condition basis.

I'd focus on the creature needs: cooler for food, cooking utensils/eating gear, a water supply (5 or 7 gallons per jug, two jugs very handy for independence on the road), adequate sleeping gear, etc. (One of the electronic coolers can work well if you pay attention to battery life if you're parked).

For real boondocking convenience, consider getting one of the camper's battery powered (4 C cell) shower pumps. You can heat 1 gallon of water on a cookstove and add it to about 2 gallons of water in a pot or water jug, then have a camping shower (3 gallons is more than adequate; I've done this for years in my non-winterized Class B RV and it's a real convenience). Consider, too, that you can get a shower at many truck stops instead of getting a motel room just for this in your travels. A small porta-potty may be a benefit in your independence, too ... so you're not depending upon public facilities in your travels.

With a reasonable camper's set-up for food, sanitation, accomodations ... you can enjoy your travel adventure in comfort at minimal cost. Soft duffle bags are great for organization of your equipment, clothing, etc., and you can toss them into spaces as needed to maximize your interior use as required. A modest inverter hooked up to the electrical system gives you the ability to recharge all your electronics ... communications, computer, entertainment, etc.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:13 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,768 times
Please point me in the direction of where you will be posting highlights of your trip. This sounds like fun!

Old 02-28-2014, 03:26 PM

Hey thanks everyone!
My journey starts in South Bend Indiana, down to Indy, over to St. Louis, then on 44 to I40 straight to the Pacific. I've done this 3 times already in the past but under different circumstances. This time it's no time limits and true freedom, meaning I can take as long as I want and will be alone. I plan to shower at truck stops, it's only $3-4 bucks and well worth it.
I'm only bringing the spare belt and rad hose because it's cheap and better to have it and not need it. My suv is old but has been so reliable I don't see why It wouldn't make it.
My biggest concern is cruise control, it don't have it. My other vehicles all had CC. Thinking my foot is going to be cramped by St. Louis.
I'm really excited to hit the road. I also have a nice Eureka tent I am bringing just in case. And as an extra precaution I am even bringing my title, in case the engine blows up I can get a couple hundred out of it. Doubt that will happen, but ya never know better be prepared.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Many times. We've never had a car with less than about 120K, or that we paid over $3,000 for, and we have driven through 99% of the counties in the lower 48, and as far as Labrador twice, and a few times to southern Mexico. . Mostly station wagons or minivans that we sleep in. I drove to Panama and back in a Corolla with 200K on it.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:39 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
OP have you ever thought about selling your vehicle and going this route for your trip?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:44 PM

GTO, man that's my dream rig! I have been trying to trade my Sidekick for a Van or truck with cap for over 3 months on craigslist and zero results. Like I said before, my car's old and people are weary of it so they don't want to trade. So I have to make due with it. I'm on a strict budget so I cant just go buy something else. I just looked up aftermarket Cruise Control units and they don't make them for my specific model. So I better start doing my foot exercises now I guess

Old 02-28-2014, 03:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
GTO, man that's my dream rig! I have been trying to trade my Sidekick for a Van or truck with cap for over 3 months on craigslist and zero results. Like I said before, my car's old and people are weary of it so they don't want to trade. So I have to make due with it. I'm on a strict budget so I cant just go buy something else. I just looked up aftermarket Cruise Control units and they don't make them for my specific model. So I better start doing my foot exercises now I guess
Yeah it is the way to see the country if you plan to be using camp sites and have access to hook ups it is hard too beat but even after a week or two in one of those you do feel cramped anyways Good luck on your trip OP keep us updated and have fun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive