Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:41 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Ah, I get it now, the excuse is it is on the Zeta platform and no longer an F-body. It's still a Camaro that can be bought for under $50,000. Surprising I didn't see any Mustangs.
MSRP is $75k+ for the Z/28 you are referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 09:44 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,015,984 times
Quote:
Ah, I get it now, the excuse is it is on the Zeta platform and no longer an F-body. It's still a Camaro that can be bought for under $50,000. Surprising I didn't see any Mustangs.
Wait Wait Wait

Ok, so I can buy a Jetta for $15,999. This does not mean I can buy a 181 mph hybrid Jetta for $15,999...still the same car? Yes....but still, not the same car.

The Z/28 Camaro is a Camaro, but it's not a $30,000 Camaro. It's not a $40,000 or $50,000 Camaro. It's a $75,000 Camaro. This doesn't devalue its' accomplishments on the track, the car did a fantastic job and posted excellent times...but that doesn't make it a bargain, or mean that a $30k-$40k example will post similar numbers.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:49 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
MSRP is $75k+ for the Z/28 you are referring to.
You're most likely correct, and I was unable to see any pricing on GM's website. I also didn't realize it was an LS7. To the best of my knowledge these are all hand built engines, or at least they were. it's nice to see them restore the Z28 moniker too the special status it deserves.

I did see the ZL1 starting at around $56,000, and it is on that track record also.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
Wait Wait Wait

Ok, so I can buy a Jetta for $15,999. This does not mean I can buy a 181 mph hybrid Jetta for $15,999...still the same car? Yes....but still, not the same car.

The Z/28 Camaro is a Camaro, but it's not a $30,000 Camaro. It's not a $40,000 or $50,000 Camaro. It's a $75,000 Camaro. This doesn't devalue its' accomplishments on the track, the car did a fantastic job and posted excellent times...but that doesn't make it a bargain, or mean that a $30k-$40k example will post similar numbers.
Agreed, I did not realize it was a LS7. Past precedence has been to use Z28 as entry level. While a very nice car I doubt I'll be buying one anytime soon.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,724,546 times
Quote:
I've been taking a beating from a few here who seem to think American are not as good. Let's discuss working class sports (pony & muscle included) cars for under 100k that a guy working for a paycheck can buy?

Too me, American cars are like Baseball, and Apple Pie. The Corvette, Early Thunderbird, Camaro, Mustang are usually owned by people with a high rate of manual dexterity who personally take care of these cars, and some are even capable of complete frame off restorations.

On the other hand, foreign cars like the Porsche 911, BMW 3, 5, and 7 series, Honda 2000, or the Mazda Miata are owned by those who lack manual dexterity, but love and care for these cars just as much.

First, are these generalizations true, and is one better than the other, and why?

FWIW, I think the Corvette is better dollar for dollar in the under 100k class. The Mustang is right up there, but doesn't handle as well.
American cars being like baseball and apple pie is a pretty good analogy. None of those things are as popular as they once were. And the only people who seem to have a problem with that are people who are still clutching onto the past. If you like Corvettes and baseball and apple pie, then more power to you. None of those things interest me in the slightest. I'll take a 911, college football, and a less sugary desert like maybe some yogurt and fruit. Is that American? I don't know. I'm an American and that's good enough for me.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
So the guy who proclaims every American car is better than any foreign car doesn't even know what an F-body is?

That's pretty sad.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
So the guy who proclaims every American car is better than any foreign car doesn't even know what an F-body is?

That's pretty sad.
I feel sorry for your dog! Do you ever have anything positive to say, or are you always negative. Having owned 7 F-body I may know just a little after completing a complete frame off on a X33 Norwood DZ. Have you ever done this? Are you a car guy, or just talk?

Old 03-04-2014, 10:51 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,082,432 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for your dog! Do you ever have anything positive to say, or are you always negative. Having owned 7 F-body I may know just a little after completing a complete frame off on a X33 Norwood DZ. Have you ever done this? Are you a car guy, or just talk?
Are you saying that the only way to be a car guy is to do a complete frame off restoration? I didn't think you can get more ignorant than that. Quite frankly, if anyone here is full of hot air it is you. Sure let's exclude the vast majority of the auto enthusiast community who love wrenching on modern cars that don't need frame offs

Old 03-04-2014, 10:54 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,070 times
Quote:
It's not an excuse when he clear as day said an LS1 Trans am.

This

Has NOTHING to do with a 5th gen Camaro

Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Are you saying that the only way to be a car guy is to do a complete frame off restoration? I didn't think you can get more ignorant than that. Quite frankly, if anyone here is full of hot air it is you. Sure let's exclude the vast majority of the auto enthusiast community who love wrenching on modern cars that don't need frame offs
This analogy would be like claiming watching football makes you a football player. Your personal attacks mean little too me, and are more a reflection on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive