Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 08:46 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times

Advertisements

I've been taking a beating from a few here who seem to think American are not as good. Let's discuss working class sports (pony & muscle included) cars for under 100k that a guy working for a paycheck can buy?

Too me, American cars are like Baseball, and Apple Pie. The Corvette, Early Thunderbird, Camaro, Mustang are usually owned by people with a high rate of manual dexterity who personally take care of these cars, and some are even capable of complete frame off restorations.

On the other hand, foreign cars like the Porsche 911, BMW 3, 5, and 7 series, Honda 2000, or the Mazda Miata are owned by those who lack manual dexterity, but love and care for these cars just as much.

First, are these generalizations true, and is one better than the other, and why?

FWIW, I think the Corvette is better dollar for dollar in the under 100k class. The Mustang is right up there, but doesn't handle as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 09:05 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
You can't ask if foreign sports cars are better than American without throwing a one term blanket over both groups. Judge one car vs another car. There are foreign sports car that I'd prefer over domestic ones. There are also domestic sports cars that I'd prefer over some foreign ones.

With regards to manual dexterity, I can say that's false right off the bat based on the many people I personally know who love to work on their cars whether foreign or domestic (including myself). Hell, my buddy is throwing a three carb setup on his 1972 BMW E9 this month.

The C7 Corvette is one of my favorite cars on the market (and a huge improvement on the rough around the edges C6) and even the Mustang GT is a great handler for its price and this is prior to the IRS suspension.

Last edited by iTsLiKeAnEgG; 03-03-2014 at 09:15 AM..

Old 03-03-2014, 09:32 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,088,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I've been taking a beating
Probably because you keep posting stupid crap like this.

Quote:
The Corvette, Early Thunderbird, Camaro, Mustang are usually owned by people with a high rate of manual dexterity who personally take care of these cars, and some are even capable of complete frame off restorations.

On the other hand, foreign cars like the Porsche 911, BMW 3, 5, and 7 series, Honda 2000, or the Mazda Miata are owned by those who lack manual dexterity, but love and care for these cars just as much.

Sorry, but people who own and work on Japanese cars have got to have FAR more dexterity than anyone working on an American car. They package their engines bays and everything else as tightly as possibly, but you wouldn't know this, having never worked on one.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:38 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I've owned sports cars from Italy, Germany, Japan, and the US. Each car has its pros and cons so I don't understand lumping them into groups or any reference to manual dexterity.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:40 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times
Not as good how? Compared to what?

With a price cap of $100K, I can name a TON Of cars that could be considered a sports car, performance car, or pony car... all with their own focus on what they are supposed to be to the driver.

How an of this has something to do with dexterity is beyond me. I see people passionate about working on their cars regardless of the brand's country of origin.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 AM

21,835 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Corvettes are usually driven by a white guy whose kids have finished college (50+) who is obese. It doesn't bug me, but a lot of people my age (20s) would not drive a Corvette because of that. It's also (new) a bit above what I'd like to pay (~30-40k). Not a problem since they depreciate and the demographic that buys them doesn't drive them harder than they did the Camcord/SUV they had before. Down side is they make the cars for the demographic so the seats are designed for 300+ lb whales.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:01 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Quote:
I've been taking a beating from a few here who seem to think American are not as good. Let's discuss working class sports (pony & muscle included) cars for under 100k that a guy working for a paycheck can buy?

Too me, American cars are like Baseball, and Apple Pie. The Corvette, Early Thunderbird, Camaro, Mustang are usually owned by people with a high rate of manual dexterity who personally take care of these cars, and some are even capable of complete frame off restorations.

First, are these generalizations true, and is one better than the other, and why?

FWIW, I think the Corvette is better dollar for dollar in the under 100k class. The Mustang is right up there, but doesn't handle as well.
You mean as appose to the Corvette where for most people all you have to do is put it in D and drive away? I would argue an NA Miata is a better value dollar for dollar. Same thing with the new GTR

Old 03-03-2014, 10:10 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,301,920 times
For a $100K price cap you could have a Used Ford SVT Raptor F150 and a used C6 Z06 both are great performance vehicle in different ways though.

But you could still use the SVT Raptor as a Dailey driver to tow/haul the weekend fun C6 Z06 in a car trailer with all your spare parts and extra tires and tools to the local track for a weekend event depending on how far away you live from said track.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Quote:
You've been taking a beating because you believe how "good" a car is depends upon the country in which the car company is headquartered.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
"Working Class" IMHO are the Miata and used Corvettes (60+k for a new 'Vett is way above "working class" 30k/yr income). The rest, Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers are sedans with stiffer suspensions. The latter are fun to drive but they are not Sports Cars. Hell, a Subaru Outback Wagon is fun to drive on packed snow but it is not a sports car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive