Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 12:44 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times

Advertisements

Hi, how often should I change the air filter in my 94 Acura Integra (155k miles on the odo)? I drive 3k to 5k miles per year in the city/surburb. The environment is not dusty typically, but in the winter there can be a mist of road salt kicked up by other cars when the snow melts. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by mmyk72; 03-07-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 05:41 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Your owners manual should give a maintenance schedule for all aspects of the car including the air filter.
I usually change mine once a year its not expensive and easy to replace, i do it before winter in my annual maintenance blitz on the car.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I live in southern NH and change oil, oil filter and air filters (engine and AC/heater) every spring after the rains have washed the salt/sand/debris off the road. Our winters are very dirty due to the salt and sand used to make the roads drivable. Actual mileage is not a major factor in change interval due to local conditions.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
It's hard to give a specific time or mileage figure because the life of the filter depends on how much crud it ingests. A filter that lasts 20,000 or even 30,000 miles on a vehicle that's driven mostly on expressways may last only a month or two in a rural setting where the vehicle is driven frequently on gravel roads. Changing it annually or every 15,000 miles for preventative maintenance may be a good recommendation for the city driver, but not its country cousin.

Regardless of the mileage or time, a filter should be replaced before it reaches the point where it creates a significant restriction to airflow. But when exactly that point is reached is subject to opinion.

A slightly dirty filter actually cleans more efficiently than a brand new filter. That's because the debris trapped by the filter element helps screen out smaller particles that try to get through. But eventually every filter reaches the point where it causes enough of a pressure drop to restrict airflow. Fuel economy, performance and emissions begin to deteriorate and get progressively worse until the dirty filter is replaced.

Many heavy-duty trucks have a "restriction" meter on the air filter housing that signals when the filter is dirty enough to need replacing. But lacking such a device, the best you can do is guess.

Removing the filter and holding it up to a light will show you how dirty it is. If it's really caked with dirt, it obviously needs to be replaced. Trying to shake or blow the dirt out is a waste of time because too much of it will be embedded in the filter fibers.

NOTE: Many filters that appear to be dirty are in fact still good and do not really need to be replaced. So it's up to you. If you think it's dirty, replace it. If you don't think it's dirty enough to need replacing, then don't.

How often should I replace my air filter? — Yahoo! Autos

Old 03-07-2014, 07:09 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,227,081 times
Air filters are usually in a very convenient place to get to.
Instead of going by mileage or time intervals, I would just inspect them every now and then and replace when necessary.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:45 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Whatever you do, do it yourself.

I've yet to see a quick lube or dealer that charges a reasonable fee for a filter change (it requires zero tools, and no more labor than what it takes to check it, yet these places charge $40 a pop for filters that run 15-20).

Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
The effect of an air filter on fuel economy or power is grossly exaggerated. There is a reason most manufacturers recommend a new one only 15000-30000 miles. It is because they don't get that dirty and a moderately dirty one doesn't affect the engine much at all. Your engine needs maximum airflow when it needs maximum fuel - during full throttle operation. Since your car doesn't typically spend much time at all in a range where it needs maximum airflow a moderately dirty air filter has no effect.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,792,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The effect of an air filter on fuel economy or power is grossly exaggerated. There is a reason most manufacturers recommend a new one only 15000-30000 miles. It is because they don't get that dirty and a moderately dirty one doesn't affect the engine much at all. Your engine needs maximum airflow when it needs maximum fuel - during full throttle operation. Since your car doesn't typically spend much time at all in a range where it needs maximum airflow a moderately dirty air filter has no effect.
And depending on your car it's no so easy for crap to get to the filter. On my civic the intake is 20" or so below the filter (just behind the bumper) and has a resonater that lessens noise and acts as a barrier to large particles).

Old 03-07-2014, 10:37 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,825,240 times
Thanks for all of your responses. I will definitely do the change myself and not let the shops rip me off.

The last time I changed it, I remember the filter which had been in there 5+ yrs looked slightly gray color with no crud / leaves on it. It's now up to the 5 yrs mark again (well, roughly since I lost track), so wondering if I should do another change.... it sounds like I should from your answers.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:41 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,422,980 times
Check it once a year and if it's dirty, replace it. If not, wait 6 months and check it again.

Or substitute your own timeframe. Point is, it's easy to check, rather than buying the filter first. Unless you want to buy one and store it away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive