Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 03:31 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,857,446 times

Advertisements

Ok - so, I have a 2006 with 134k miles Toyota Corolla. Last year - I went to Merchants because one of my tires kept losing air and Merchants told me my tires had dry rotted and that I needed new ones. Ok, the tires did appear pretty 'cracky' and I'd had them for 5 years and god knows how many miles so I wasn't happy but I was like, ok, give me new tires. However, I'm not going to be keeping the car for too much longer so I don't want to spend a ton of money (needless to say - I still have the car). They put on Sumitomo tires and then told me that my alignment was off. So - I get an alignment, have the tires put on with hazard warranty and go on my way. A short time later, I start getting a bad vibration in the steering so I take the car back and they rebalance the tires...seems to correct the issue. I wasn't pleased with the tires and they are horrid in the snow but again I'm not keeping this car right? Fast forward to two days ago and about 11 months later. I am driving home from work and going about 50 mph when my steering wheel starts shaking violently and it sounds like I've run over something. I pull off and don't see anything so I get back on the road and it's the same deal. I finally make it home and yesterday after work I take the car into my local mechanic. He tells me that it sounds like a bad belt in the tire and that if they are under warranty - take 'em back to Merchants. I take the car to Merchants and the guy feels all my tires and says they are really bad and cupping, etc. He tells me that Sumitomo won't give me any warranty on the tires because I voided the warranty since I should have gotten new struts put on at the time. I tell the guy that Merchants didn't tell me that and that all they suggested was an alignment. He says that an alignment may only last a few hours and can go back out and that I should have been coming in for alignments like every 4 months or so and that voided any warranty as well. I said I wasn't told that and that they didn't tell me my warranty was voided the day I got the tires. He says he can give me some kind of a store credit to put on new tires and change the struts, new alignment, etc.... This time - I really am getting rid of the car in a few months....this is an expense I certainly didn't want. I ask him why I would want to give the store more business after I feel pretty duped with spending almost $600 on new tires a year ago and now they are ruined. I bring the car back to the mechanic and they are going to look at it and get back to me.

What do you guys think? Have you heard something like this before? I'm pretty miffed about the whole thing. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 03:44 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Bad struts can cause your tires to cup out, yes.

Go get used tires if you're getting rid of the thing.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:04 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
I'll take paragraphs for $200, Alex.

I've never heard of an alignment going out after a few hours, or needing to be done every few months.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:13 AM

I understand that my shocks may be going...the car has a lot of mileage on it. But - I didn't have premature wear on my old tires and I've had nothing but issues with these tires. Also - it doesn't explain to me, the car driving fine... I stop at a stop light and then all of a sudden my steering wheel starts shaking violently ( I mean about 6 inches in each direction ) going about 50 mph and it sounds like I've run over something.... I don't know - I know that cupping can definitely be caused by bad struts....but is this a symptom that happens suddenly?

You made me laugh vmaxnc - should have broken it up a bit, lol. And yes - the gentleman said that an alignment can go out of whack in a matter of just a few hours and that's why it should be done every 3/4 months at the minimum.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
If you are actually getting rid of the car I suggest replacing the tires with take offs from a local recycle yard. The struts do not need replacing but the inserted shock absorbers do. Have your mechanic replace them as well. It is unethical to sell a car that has repairable wear to a safety related system. Also quit kidding yourself and plan on keeping the car until the rust eats it our. That is cheaper than replacing it.

Find another tire dealer. $150 each for a set of rim protectors and not honoring the warrantee is robbery.

Addendum: A properly aligned car does NOT go out of alignment in a "few hours" or months unless the roads are really bad with curb to curb potholes and frost heaves. I live in Northern New England and our back roads are horrible this year and neither of my cars need a new alignment. As I said find another shop.

The steering wheel shaking can be caused by either cupping, worn strut inserts or worn out suspension bushings and should be repaired ASAP. The shaking can lead to sudden loss of control of the car.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:17 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
1. Yes bad struts can cause this.

2. Yes they can void the warranty because of this since its not a tire failure.

3. Yes buy a second hand good use tire for now.

4. You went in for tires and not a full inspection of the vehicle.

5. Goodyear owns a percentage of Sumitomo and they have a good reviews.

Old 03-07-2014, 06:35 AM

Well, I was going to get rid of the car because I am moving back to Northern Vermont and my trusty Subaru is used for up there. This car is a commuter car. My husband lives up in Vermont already and I'm waiting on the house to sell down here, etc., etc. It is a class III road up a mountain....Corolla wouldn't be driven all winter...time to let her go.

This particular tire has really been the worst tire ever, it was ok for a few thousand miles and after that - that was it. It's like skis in the snow and I used to take this car out in the snow all the time even with my old tires that had little tread left. Bottom line - I will never get this brand again. Generally, I research the tire but didn't this time because I figured they were temporary.

I don't plan on selling the car to anyone, I'll just bring it to car max and let them give me 'whatever' for it. I've never felt good about selling a car especially when it's older. I have a neighbor who was interested in the car and I told her mother that the only way I would even consider selling it is if they brought it to a shop to make sure it would be safe for the daughter.

Just on a side note: I didn't actually go in for tires. I went in for a tire that wouldn't keep the air - I am a nut when it comes to tire pressure, etc., and it drives my husband crazy. Merchants told me I needed new tires because the ones I had were dry rotted. I replaced them. They told me I needed an alignment - I got it. They didn't tell me I needed new struts to keep the warranty valid. They told me yesterday that the struts need replacing every 50k miles and that it should have been done at the time I purchased the tire.

Last edited by vermonter16; 03-07-2014 at 06:47 AM..

Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
Check alignment. $60. Struts could do it too.

Old 03-07-2014, 12:28 PM

792 posts, read 2,874,250 times
Why not go to another tire place, or your independent mechanic for a second opinion? They will have an opinion on whether your struts could have cause that huge amount of cupping in 11 months.

Old 03-07-2014, 03:07 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,873,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Just on a side note: I didn't actually go in for tires. I went in for a tire that wouldn't keep the air - I am a nut when it comes to tire pressure, etc., and it drives my husband crazy. Merchants told me I needed new tires because the ones I had were dry rotted. I replaced them. They told me I needed an alignment - I got it. They didn't tell me I needed new struts to keep the warranty valid. They told me yesterday that the struts need replacing every 50k miles and that it should have been done at the time I purchased the tire.
Sounds like they just want money, plain and simple. True, your struts may be worn out now, but I seriously doubt they needed replacement every 50K miles. I have 72K on my 2010 Vibe, and it drives just fine, with a very similar suspension to your Corolla (both are Toyota based). I got about 150K on my Mustang before I replaced those struts. I replaced them on our Villager at about 85K just because one was leaking. It sounds like they did not do any kind of inspection when they replaced them a year ago, or they should have caught bad struts. Especially since it is a big money maker for them.

I'd have another shop look at it and try to get some used tires like was suggested.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive