Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2014, 01:52 PM

299 posts, read 557,250 times

Advertisements

Statistically, there's a really large percentage of wealthy, upper-class families who own a Kia or Hyundai right now. I forget the exact numbers but it was somewhere near 40%.

There's a good reason for it.... They didn't get rich and stay rich by making poor purchasing decisions. They figured out that especially for one of the kids in the family or as a daily driver, they may as well get something relatively inexpensive that has good reliability, good fuel economy, and does a good job of mimicking a more expensive vehicle.

Personally, I'm tired of hearing all the crap about "patriotic duty" to buy American. I've owned more domestic cars and trucks than foreign, and not ONCE was a domestic a good, reliable vehicle for me. The closest I got it it was probably a Ford F-150 I bought used. It was just a bare-bones "base model" with crank windows and no electric locks - so not a whole lot of fancy stuff to break in the first place. Even with it, the air conditioner quit on it, and it turned out the evaporator developed a leak and required a replacement. I had, luckily, purchased an extended warranty which covered that $650-700 repair bill, but this was on a 2009 truck with less than 60,000 miles on it. I also had a problem where the odometer on the dash just went out.... Couldn't tell my mileage any more to know if I needed an oil change or anything. Warranty wouldn't cover that one, and it was another $450 repair to have the dash disassembled and the circuit board replaced that failed. Oh, and it also had a random problem where the engine would "run on", stuttering and popping for a while after you turned off the ignition. They never could "duplicate the problem" when it was in the shop so never got that one fixed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 01:55 PM

16,672 posts, read 17,437,937 times
In the bad old days of British cars, and I'm talking about the 1970s, there was a 'Buy British' campaign.

Essentially it was a campaign based on 'patriotism' trying to persuade car buyers to spend their hard earned cash on products made by the then nationalised British Leyland group.

This included Austin, Morris, Triumph, Rover, Jaguar, MG and so on.

To say that there were industrial relation problems and that the quality of the cars were suspect was to put things mildly.

For a company to use the patriot card I would say that it had lost the plot in terms of actually producing a good quality, reliable product that stood up to scrutiny on its own merits.

It took many years for the British motor industry to lose the stigma of those days, and it was not through blind allegiance to a product just because it was made in Britain, but by facing up to realities and following the best practices employed by other manufacturers around the world.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:00 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
In the bad old days of British cars, and I'm talking about the 1970s, there was a 'Buy British' campaign.

Essentially it was a campaign based on 'patriotism' trying to persuade car buyers to spend their hard earned cash on products made by the then nationalised British Leyland group.

This included Austin, Morris, Triumph, Rover, Jaguar, MG and so on.

To say that there were industrial relation problems and that the quality of the cars were suspect was to put things mildly.

For a company to use the patriot card I would say that it had lost the plot in terms of actually producing a good quality, reliable product that stood up to scrutiny on its own merits.

It took many years for the British motor industry to lose the stigma of those days, and it was not through blind allegiance to a product just because it was made in Britain, but by facing up to realities and following the best practices employed by other manufacturers around the world.
Excellent post.

Old 03-09-2014, 03:45 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
German car made in South Carolina.

My Isuzu was also built in Indiana.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:38 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,413,575 times
Why shouldn't American car makers build a car like the Infiniti I prefer to drive. Its reliable, high performance has a ton of safety features and nice looking. Why did the American car makers fail to build reliable cars until the Japanese competition forced them to do so to survive? Why should I pay for a car with costs for workers laid off to sit and do nothing yet get paid? Why should I pay for a car from a company whose employee and retiree healthcare benefits historically were fully paid for by car buyers when the competition did not do so.

I live in a free country and am free to buy the car that meets my wants and needs. I think OP has the question totally backward.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:48 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
I will drive a rear wheel drive car with a V8 until the day I die. While little econoboxes look like the added mileage is worth it I just can't lower myself to that level. Front wheel drive for me is pulling back on the tall lever on a Super Dana 18 and engaging the 33's both locked for added traction to the Powerlok in the rear.

My foreign this, or foreign that just means you buy your underwear at Victoria's Secret.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:54 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,430,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
I will drive a rear wheel drive car with a V8 until the day I die. While little econoboxes look like the added mileage is worth it I just can't lower myself to that level. Front wheel drive for me is pulling back on the tall lever on a Super Dana 18 and engaging the 33's both locked for added traction to the Powerlok in the rear.

My foreign this, or foreign that just means you buy your underwear at Victoria's Secret.

They're comfortable and efficent. What's the problem?

Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,161,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
They're comfortable and efficent. What's the problem?
I was going to respond seriously, but you beat me to it. I think a lot of punchlines MrWillys uses serve only to annoy and inflame while masquerading as poor attempts at humor, so kudos to you for keeping it light.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:55 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,102,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
I think a lot of punchlines MrWillys uses serve only to annoy and inflame while masquerading as poor attempts at humor, so kudos to you for keeping it light.
Possibly. Or, he loves thinking about men in ladies underwear, since he posts about it all the time.

You be the judge.

Old 03-09-2014, 07:06 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,296,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Possibly. Or, he loves thinking about men in ladies underwear, since he posts about it all the time.

You be the judge.
Shh, they're my secrets! Don't tell anyone, just get a front wheel drive car. B beep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive