Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
GM's current recall involves a defect GM has known about since 2001 and chose to do nothing about. Only after the death toll rose to at least 12 with many more injuries has it gotten to their attention. It is an important milestone for the new CEO. Hopefully she gets it taken care of quickly.
Your point? Toyota had 34 deaths from sticking gas pedals. I seriously doubt GM didn't want to do anything about a problem that causes deaths. Obviously it would cause bad publicity and that obviously would hurt sales. It doesn't take a businessman to know this common sense. I don't care what the media says.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't have a fart muffler. And they aren't everywhere - except maybe where you live. Even in the places where imports dominate - California, Seattle, Colorado, Austin, the typical Honda is just a regular Accord, Civic, or Odyssey minivan.
Nope all over PA,NJ and NY you see hondas riced out. Yes their are regular hondas but you see the riced out ones everywhere.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:06 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I don't answer "questions" from trolls go away this will be the last response from me.
Because you yourself can not just answer a legitimite question with a coherent response without regressing to insults. Congrats.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
What is being ignored, is those goods shipped out of the country overseas, provide a lot of jobs, and taxes. Those imports provide a lot of jobs and taxes in the U.S. In fact, something like 25% of Washington State, economy comes from shipping goods in and out of their ports. And there are 3,000,000 plus jobs in the U.S. around the country linked to California ports. The port of Los Angeles produces $21.5 Billion dollars in tax revenue. And that is just a drop in the bucket of the money for wages, profits for business, and tax dollars to the government due to international trade when all ports in the U.S. are considered.

Economic Impact | Pacific Merchant Shipping Association

Imports produce a lot of jobs in U.S.

Imports and Jobs: How Imports Support U.S. Jobs

Some people on these treads blame NAFTA and other trade agreements for U.S. unemployment problems.
Because of Nafta a lot of Americans have jobs.

Imports and Jobs: How Imports Support U.S. Jobs

We keep reading on these threads BUY AMERICAN, as we have shipped jobs overseas. We don't see them telling us how many jobs that have been shipped from overseas to the U.S. Remember in just one industry Autos, we have 10 major foreign companies building cars in the U.S. We ship some jobs overseas and import jobs from other countries to the U.S. It is a two way street. If we stopped all imports to the U.S., other countries would stop all of our exports. You think we have a high unemployment problem, if we did that we would be back to t he depression of the 1930s. Most of you don't remember those times, but I do, and never want to see them in the U.S. again.

Old 03-13-2014, 05:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
I have an Audi A4 and America doesn't make a car as good as that. It is AWD, 6 speed and gets over 30mpg! It hauls my ski stuff inside because it has a built in ski bag. What do you want me to drive a chevy? Please. I buy ALL used cars, so the money is made by those selling the car. That being said they are 100% American as far as profit goes. What if I want a Porsche Cayman? It gets about 30mpg and is a dream car. What American car can compete? NONE!

Sorry, but I buy whatever is good, but used. I can't see buying new, so this subject isn't really about my purchase.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:10 PM

245 posts, read 298,478 times
Quote:
Every car manufacturer has issues with their cars. Just like everything in life some people will end up with duds and others will have no issues. Even the most sophisticated computerized machinery will make mistakes. When you pump out millions of vehicles out of a factory they are going to have some with issues. This happens with cars right down to buying a pizza.

I just look on the road and I see GM cars and trucks all over the place. They must do something right to have all of those vehicles all over the place. Also GMC and Chevy trucks are EVERYWHERE and used by emergency services like police, fire and rescue. If they were such garbage I doubt emergency responders would use them.
New immigrants can't afford trucks. Immigrants and the working class want cheap economic cars

Old 03-13-2014, 07:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
The fact remains as multiple media reports have explained is that German and Asian automakers are not only using their US factories as the manufacturing bases from which to send their cars overseas, but are doing so for many reasons, one of which is a cost-cutting move due to the very strong values of both the yen yen and deutschmark.

The new Acura ILX is being produced at the same plant in Greensburg, IN where the Civic is manufactured, so don't be surprised if Lexus and/or Infiniti start making their products in this country as well, which will certainly mean more well-paying jobs in the auto industry stateside.

New free trade agreements including the recently announced one between the USA & South Korea is certainly great news for all of us who want good paying jobs to proliferate here.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:43 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I have an Audi A4 and America doesn't make a car as good as that. It is AWD, 6 speed and gets over 30mpg! It hauls my ski stuff inside because it has a built in ski bag. What do you want me to drive a chevy? Please. I buy ALL used cars, so the money is made by those selling the car. That being said they are 100% American as far as profit goes. What if I want a Porsche Cayman? It gets about 30mpg and is a dream car. What American car can compete? NONE!

Sorry, but I buy whatever is good, but used. I can't see buying new, so this subject isn't really about my purchase.

Lol not sure if you know this but Audi used to be a big pile of steaming crap of a vehicle in the 80s early 90s. Besides they weren't really popular either. If anything they were worse than GM and I'm being nice. They were really unreliable. My GF mom had one and it was ALWAYS broken down. They didn't get better or noticed till the TT came out. Then all of the sudden they got popular.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Your point? Toyota had 34 deaths from sticking gas pedals. I seriously doubt GM didn't want to do anything about a problem that causes deaths. Obviously it would cause bad publicity and that obviously would hurt sales. It doesn't take a businessman to know this common sense. I don't care what the media says.
GM has now admitted it knew of problems in 2005 definitely and notified dealers. It did not notify owners or have a recall. That is why the justice dept. is looking into this now. Basically they knew exactly that it was ignition switch in notifying dealers ;so the reason for justice dept. review of criminal negligence in deaths. Started being reported in 2001 ;by own admission knew the ignition switches were problem by 2005 and just now notified owners themselves. Basically this is even bigger than Toyota because of admitting notified dealers but not owners of known ignition switch problem and further deaths occurred; plain and simple.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Because if you are an American born citizen raised in the most free society in the world and employed by a company that sells to Americans, your job depends on it.
Wait, people still believe that? We have a government that views its own citizens as one of its greatest threats (we're spied on constantly). Hell, the government spies on itself now (the executive branch spying on Congress). If this is the freest society that the Earth can muster, then we are well and truly screwed.

Quote:
Plus it is your duty to support other American workers.
Actually, it isn't. It's not my duty to pay for lavish union benefits, nor is it my duty to pay for skilled wages for unskilled laborers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive