Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 09:28 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Most muscle cars/sports cars today whoop the snot out of anything in the past if you do a side by side. Comfort, power, economy, build quality, performance etcetera. Older cars are great, have nostalgia and look cool.
Drives me crazy when people say they don't build them like they used to. Yup they're better now. Old cars are great as a Sunday show off driver but as a daily I'll take a new modern car. In 30 years people will consider today's cars muscle car sand ohh and ahh over them.
Ahhhh, NO they don't! I think you've been spending WAY too much time watching Kia import commercials. The older built large block V8's with no emission crap, and a significantly larger cam, headers, larger rings and pistons simply make the newer generation plastic wanna be sports cars just go away in shame! All that technology put into today's cars FORGOT one thing... the K.I.S.S principle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 10:03 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,137,399 times
Ah the idea of K.I.S.S

Great in theory, but most people seem to forget most muscle cars were pretty well ragged out by the time they even got close to 100k on them.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:00 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,722,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Ahhhh, NO they don't! I think you've been spending WAY too much time watching Kia import commercials. The older built large block V8's with no emission crap, and a significantly larger cam, headers, larger rings and pistons simply make the newer generation plastic wanna be sports cars just go away in shame! All that technology put into today's cars FORGOT one thing... the K.I.S.S principle.
I have a modern twin turbo V6 that disputes this...

Old 03-08-2014, 01:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,012,857 times
Quote:
Well, the extra stuff that's being packed into cars going against the K.I.S.S. principle is being done because consumers are demanding it (they want blutooth, touchscreens, navigation, night vision, HUDS, Air Bags, Traction Control, etc etc etc).

As to the engines, I wouldn't consider different methods of fuel delivery to be a bad thing...we've been doing that since we first built engines....heck, we had mechanical fuel injection in the 1930's, superchargers had rapid use in aviation engines in the 1940's, and so on. The really impressive thing when it comes to modern autos is fuel economy, and fuel economy in lieu of the added weight of all that tech stuff mentioned earlier.

When looking at muscle cars only, I'll still say that today's "muscle cars" are better cars than those of yesteryear. Will they invoke the same "feelings" that are associated with the cars of the 1960's? Maybe in another 30 years or so...Stock for Stock the vast majority of muscle cars during the 60's didnt' come with gigantic loping camshafts, or manual transmissions...they wore out quickly, had terrible panel gaps, shotty suspension, and poor brakes. As someone else mentioned, at 100,000 miles, you were typically looking at an engine rebuild...If I was buying a car to drive on Sundays, I'd consider a classic muscle/pony car...but living with one daily, doesn't sound very pleasant to me.

Old 03-08-2014, 01:20 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,818,460 times
I'd daily drive a car from the 60s or 70s, all while modding it along the way. I know where a 76 ltd sits, that I want. The beautiful thing is it doesnt have those stupid hide-away headlights.

I can picture swapping out its 460 for something more mod friendly, redoing the suspension and wheels, what ever corner it cant carve, its sure to powerslide through.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:14 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I have a modern twin turbo V6 that disputes this...
Probably because no has bothered to shut you down on the strip yet.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:42 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,850,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Eh, pony cars and muscle cars have been used interchangeably for decades now, no matter what the original "definition" was.
I've owned muscle cars, been into cars for 40 years and have been to hundreds of car shows and no one would use the terms muscle car and pony car interchangeably....

Old 03-08-2014, 04:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,509,477 times
Quote:

What are you talking about dude? A Mustang Cobra or Camaro ZL1, Skyline, Supra turbo, hell a 90s Grand National would wipe the floor with old muscle cars in EVERY category. Have you actually driven a sports car today? Old cars hp numbers were grossly inflated. Some think the old muscle cars were these holy grail of automotive glory. What a crock. Most had s----y suspensions even crappier tires handled like crap and were done for at 100k.. Today's cars are better in every way from materials to performance to longevity. Sure I like looking at a restored 50-60-70 something but I guarantee you if you pop the hood take a look at the motor or look at the suspension it's all modern stuff with fuel injection and aftermarket suspension. If older suspensions, fuel delivery and brakes were good enough auto makers would still be using them.
If you're talking about strictly some drag strip tubbed out roll caged drag car you're comparing apples and oranges. I'm talking about street driven cars not dragsters.

Old 03-08-2014, 04:30 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
true muscle car was a car the factory made so it could compete on the road circuit, like the superb, yanko nova and camaro etc. the first trans am 75 was great, the 76 tran am was down hill for muscle cars. 400 cu inch with only 175 hp down hill

Old 03-08-2014, 04:35 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
I've owned muscle cars, been into cars for 40 years and have been to hundreds of car shows and no one would use the terms muscle car and pony car interchangeably....
You must live in a very tiny town.

2014 Chevrolet Camaro rules as king of the muscle cars - NY Daily News

Note the interchangeable use of "muscle" and "pony" cars nomenclature.

Mustang, Camaro, Challenger: Muscle Cars Across The Years

Huh. Look at that. Another example.

HowStuffWorks "1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28: A Profile of a Muscle Car"

Even the 60's "pony" cars were still called muscle cars.

If you've been into cars for over 40 years you should know something as basic as this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive