Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 10:40 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times

Advertisements

Besides...anything over 100k miles is going to auction. Many lenders won't finance them (typically 5 year/under 100k miles for financing) so the dealer will either have to sit it on the lot and hope for someone with stellar credit or cash...or send it to auction where one of the secondary used car dealers will pick it up and offer someone buy here pay here terms on it. Nothing to worry about...I am sure the dealer is WAY ahead on your deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2014, 12:27 PM

552 posts, read 834,685 times
sounds to me like the OP got suckered.

The dealer can turn around and say, nope, we'll only give you $3k for your trade in since it's not what you stated.

Since you already drove the new car and signed the paperwork, you are at their mercy.

And if you say no, they can say you made an attempt at fraud and legal action can be taken

Old 03-12-2014, 06:55 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,583,957 times
There is usually a 3 day waiting period to go back on a deal. I assume you didn't go past that? Anyhow It's not like they rush to the DMV was the title application the minute you leave the dealership.

Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
There is usually a 3 day waiting period to go back on a deal. I assume you didn't go past that? Anyhow It's not like they rush to the DMV was the title application the minute you leave the dealership.

Depends on the state. Most states do not have a cooling off period. And you're right they don't rush to do the paperwork. Once its titled it can ONLY be sold as a used car. It can take up to two weeks to get it titled. It gives the dealer time to make sure financing went through, your. Trade came in the deal is in their favor etc.
They can take the truck back if his trade isn't what they expected. But sight unseen means they DGAF. They will auction it off for what they got in it.

OP i would just hand over the keys and title to your old ride. If the dealer doesn't like it they will either ask fir more money and threaten to take the truck back. If that happens let them.
I had a buddy who did a similar thing on a mega cab 4x4 diesel dodge. They made the deal then wanted to give less fir his trade ( that was there on the lot to see) and they couldn't finance him. Two days later he was back in his old truck and they took their truck back

Old 03-12-2014, 09:38 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Once its titled it can ONLY be sold as a used car. It can take up to two weeks to get it titled. It gives the dealer time to make sure financing went through, your.
It doesn't need to be titled to be considered used...
Once it is driven off the lot onto a public street it can legally only be sold as a used vehicle...

Old 03-12-2014, 09:55 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Once it is driven off the lot onto a public street it can legally only be sold as a used vehicle...
While you're right, paperwork gets lost, oops look at that it got torn in two, now what did I do with that paperwork darn it?
A dealer is not gonna lose money. You would have no way of knowing if the vehicle was "sold" and then returned and resold as new. The only way you would know its used is. If it was titled. At that point its a trackable proven thing if there is a issue. As I said my buddy was able to get his truck back.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinc83 View Post
i went to look at jeeps at the dealership i told them i wanna trade my old jeep in for a new one , but i didn't have the old jeep with me at the time so the dealer guy said he can still make the deal happen without seeing the old jeep i was like okay , but i told him i don't know how many miles are on the old jeep could be like around 100,000 i think , so he made a deal told me he'll trade my old jeep for 13,000 and we sign papers and took off in the new jeep after we where done with paper work , when i got home i look at the old jeep it had 157,000 miles on it i was like ohh noo... but he made the deal with 100,000 miles not 157 .. whats gonna happen ?
Okay...it has been a couple of days...update?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You sure? If I take a test drive in a new car then they can only sell it to me as used? I thought it had to go over 1500 miles and have been only titled to the dealership?

Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 AM

2,052 posts, read 5,872,503 times
Quote:
It may depend on state laws, but you can buy a demo vehicle with a decent number of miles on it, like 3,000 or so, and it is still sold and titled as a new vehicle in Texas. Usually you get a good discount on it, but as long as it was not titled by the dealer for a free loaner car or something, it is still considered a new car.

Can Buying a Demo Car Save You Money? on Edmunds.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive