Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After reading post, which would you recommend?
2004 armada 0 0%
2007 expedition 2 14.29%
2005/2006 navigator 0 0%
2007 durango 0 0%
2005 yukon xl 4 28.57%
2005 sequoia 2 14.29%
Other (please list) 6 42.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM

14 posts, read 35,640 times

Advertisements

While on the market for a used SUV, several different makes and models have caught my attention. Basically the deciding factors come down to safety ratings, space, and reliability. Whatever we purchase will be our family vehicle, three in car seats, and space for a dog, so third row is a must. My short list of vehicles was designed around the deciding factors listed above. A strong roll over rating is important. All vehicles listed below have about an average price of $9-$10k

1. 2007 expedition
2. 2005/2006 navigator
3. 2004 armada
4. 2007 durango
5. 2005 yukon xl
6. A 2005 Sequoia was an option for a long time, but theres no crash test rating available. It is also the smallest of the vehicles listed above

If anyone has opinions or thoughts on these vehicles as far as reliability, safety or etc goes, id be glad to hear them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,114,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckc3 View Post
While on the market for a used SUV, several different makes and models have caught my attention. Basically the deciding factors come down to safety ratings, space, and reliability. Whatever we purchase will be our family vehicle, three in car seats, and space for a dog, so third row is a must. My short list of vehicles was designed around the deciding factors listed above. A strong roll over rating is important. All vehicles listed below have about an average price of $9-$10k

1. 2007 expedition
2. 2005/2006 navigator
3. 2004 armada
4. 2007 durango
5. 2005 yukon xl
6. A 2005 Sequoia was an option for a long time, but theres no crash test rating available. It is also the smallest of the vehicles listed above

If anyone has opinions or thoughts on these vehicles as far as reliability, safety or etc goes, id be glad to hear them!
I suggest that you also add the Volvo XC90 and Nissan Pathfinder to your list.

The Volvo XC90 is one of the safest vehicles, period. They're so good that owners tend not to trade them in but usually pass them down to their kids.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2004_Volvo_XC90&ReviewID=3044

The Nissan Pathfinder is another good reliable vehicle and you probably have a better chance of finding one of these than a XC90.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Nissan_Pathfinder&ReviewID= 4190

Either way, I wish you happy hunting.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:03 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,919,978 times
2004-2005 Infiniti QX56. Great SUV!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:02 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,425,765 times
I am an "other" voter. I would look at a Toyota Land Cruiser or Lexus LX470 before the Sequoia, though both do hold their value very well, so it would have to be older to meet the target price. However, of the models listed, I would look at the Yukon XL over the Navigator/Expedition, though the Durango would be last. The Armada is okay, but Nissans just don't tend to have the features/size for me that makes it worthwhile, IMO, though it is a decent SUV, but the Yukon would be the first pick, outside of the Land Cruiser.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 03-26-2014, 06:41 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,308,793 times
the Suburban can have all the features of the Yukon XL and cost a bit less. It all really depends on what you want to do with the SUV.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:50 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I suggest that you also add the Volvo XC90 and Nissan Pathfinder to your list.

The Volvo XC90 is one of the safest vehicles, period. They're so good that owners tend not to trade them in but usually pass them down to their kids.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2004_Volvo_XC90&ReviewID=3044

The Nissan Pathfinder is another good reliable vehicle and you probably have a better chance of finding one of these than a XC90.

http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-intro.cfm?Vehicle=2005_Nissan_Pathfinder&ReviewID= 4190

Either way, I wish you happy hunting.
Those are both midsize SUV/Crossovers, and the OP has posted a range of full size vehicles to choose from. Not good advice.

OP, out of your choices, I think I would actually pick the 07 Durango, as I think it would have had the most recent refresh, and your choice of engines is not limited to just one. (Like the Sequoia is.) If you could increase the budget a bit to get the 2008 Sequoia which is the first year of the 2nd gen, I would do that.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:10 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,681,558 times
Some Toyota 4Runners were built with 3ed row seating (exception is the Sport edition).
However you would likely be paying more than the price range you listed. this is a vehicle that does very well in the crash tests (2003 and up).

Seriously though in the OPs position (3 carseats and not a lot to spend) I would think a mini van would be totally more practical in just about every respect.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:23 AM

14 posts, read 35,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Those are both midsize SUV/Crossovers, and the OP has posted a range of full size vehicles to choose from. Not good advice.

OP, out of your choices, I think I would actually pick the 07 Durango, as I think it would have had the most recent refresh, and your choice of engines is not limited to just one. (Like the Sequoia is.) If you could increase the budget a bit to get the 2008 Sequoia which is the first year of the 2nd gen, I would do that.
We are leaning towards the durango actually. However Im wondering why there are so many durangos for sale on the current market, with VERY LOW miles for VERY cheap. It seems common. Personally, Im not very familiar with this year of durango, so i was wondering if anyone knew why there are so many for so cheap. Was the 2005-2007 durango bad, so people unload them quickly?

Actually we are quite happy with the amount we have chosen to spend on a vehicle, as we have been saving for three years now. It will be paid off in cash, no payments! Also we will only have to pay for parts during repairs. We have to have an SUV as we live in an area that gets alot of snow, we need the ability to tow and personally, I would never own a minivan. Ive heard great things about the 4runners, but unfortunately they are too small for us.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:52 AM

3,705 posts, read 4,862,670 times
I would chose the suburban/yukon XL. My reasoning is simple really as nothing else, except for an expedition xl (the long one, not the standard expedition) which I'm not sure when they came out, compares in room. You have the optional 3 rows of seats as well as usable space behind that 3rd seat.

Also, depending what you tow, a longer wheelbase makes a better tow vehicle.

As far as MPG's, I would think all the large SUV's get about the same so might as well get the bigger one and it sounds like you could use the room. If your not used to it, don't let the length intimidate you. I drive a quad cab, full sized, short bed pickup which is basically the same thing and length isn't a problem. However, that statement may not be true if you live in a congested city. But suburbs and towns are not an issue.

As far as the Durango, perhaps people are getting rid of them early on because the MPG's are no better then what they'd be getting with a larger SUV so perhaps they are trading in.

The suburban has always been the trailer towing vehicle for a family with several growing kids and a dog. Not much has compared to it over the years as it's still chugging along even as the old station wagons and full sized vans have disappeared.

Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,119,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckc3 View Post
We are leaning towards the durango actually. However Im wondering why there are so many durangos for sale on the current market, with VERY LOW miles for VERY cheap. It seems common. Personally, Im not very familiar with this year of durango, so i was wondering if anyone knew why there are so many for so cheap. Was the 2005-2007 durango bad, so people unload them quickly?
The first gen Durango had transmission issues. However, the 2nd gen with the 545RFE 5 spd auto was better, than transmission is used in a LOT of Chrysler vehicles with no issues. It looks like 2007 was the year of the update for the Durango too, so that would be the most updated choice among your list.

They do tend to be gas guzzlers in relation to their size (which was a criticism of Jeep models during that time as well), but other than that I have not heard anything bad about the 2nd gen Durango.

This link shows that the 2007 Durango was pretty reliable. Dodge Durango Problems & Complaints | DodgeProblems.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive