Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2014, 09:31 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times

Advertisements

When I start my car in the morning (Honda Accord, 2013) and stop as I pull out of my driveway, my brakes always squeak. But, that's the ONLY time they squeak - that first stop.

Is that normal? Should I get them checked?

**I live in an area that has very moist air**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:41 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Several things cause this and one is that a slight film of rust builds up on the bare steel rotors overnight. As soon as the pads scrape that off it will sometimes quiet down. Pads also age and will do that until they warm up so if you change the pads it might help as well as turning the rotors.

Pads come in various materials too, some are soft (and quiet) but they dust badly and wear out faster. Some are harder (like ceramic ones) and they do not dust much but can be noisier and require more pedal pressure.

If you get new pads put the antisqueal paste under each pad. Some that I have bought lately have a backing that dampens out the harmonics (that is the root of the squeal you are getting) and they do not need that paste put on them.

In any event, it is just an annoyance. But since you have on 013 car I would take it to Honda and complain.

Don

Old 03-13-2014, 09:50 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Several things cause this and one is that a slight film of rust builds up on the bare steel rotors overnight. As soon as the pads scrape that off it will sometimes quiet down. Pads also age and will do that until they warm up so if you change the pads it might help as well as turning the rotors.

Pads come in various materials too, some are soft (and quiet) but they dust badly and wear out faster. Some are harder (like ceramic ones) and they do not dust much but can be noisier and require more pedal pressure.

If you get new pads put the antisqueal paste under each pad. Some that I have bought lately have a backing that dampens out the harmonics (that is the root of the squeal you are getting) and they do not need that paste put on them.

In any event, it is just an annoyance. But since you have on 013 car I would take it to Honda and complain.

Don
Thanks Don!

Old 03-14-2014, 06:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Brakes are covered under a 12,000 mile or 1-year warranty!!

This is caused by a sight glaze that forms on the pads and its a simple fix.

Remove the pads and scuff up the rotors using a semi rough sand paper sand down the pads and edges that have a ridge and then drive the vehicle.

Old 03-14-2014, 11:32 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,470,276 times
Mine do this as well. It is just from moisture or rust as previously stated. I don't think anything is wrong with your brakes.

Old 03-14-2014, 01:41 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Your rotor rusts overnight a little bit causing squeak. For Honda, you should also hear click from pads when put in reverse. That's almost Honda signature pads noise.
Just pay no attention to it. Also, you can run few shots of brake cleaner on pads and rotors, but it's temporary fix.
Are your rotors real shiny, glazed looking? This will cause squeak too.
Switching to softer pads, like semi organics, normally takes care of this, but leaves you with a lot of black dust on the front rims.

Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM

3,377 posts, read 14,627,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Your rotor rusts overnight a little bit causing squeak. For Honda, you should also hear click from pads when put in reverse. That's almost Honda signature pads noise.
Just pay no attention to it. Also, you can run few shots of brake cleaner on pads and rotors, but it's temporary fix.
Are your rotors real shiny, glazed looking? This will cause squeak too.
Switching to softer pads, like semi organics, normally takes care of this, but leaves you with a lot of black dust on the front rims.
Thanks for quoting what DON1945 already said. Your a wealth of other peoples knowledge.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:47 PM

19,027 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
Thanks for quoting what DON1945 already said. Your a wealth of other peoples knowledge.

Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive