Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 12:54 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,389,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Before the oil change I put a can of Gunk Motor Flush through it.
Glad it worked for you, please people don't follow this bad advice. I can't tell you how many people use products like this and have a ton of oil leaks afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,883,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Glad it worked for you, please people don't follow this bad advice. I can't tell you how many people use products like this and have a ton of oil leaks afterwards.
Absolutely.

If one follows the manufacturers service and maintenance recommendations, all those nifty snake oil liquids aren't needed.

Isn't it funny how people in general have been conditioned to buy useless stuff?

Here is a fact: If you change your oil regularly, your engine isn't going to last any longer using synthetic oil compared to conventional oil.

What you can do though, with the difference in price you save is maintain the car for less money and then do it right.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:59 PM

8,221 posts, read 13,299,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar21 View Post
I have a 2010 honda accord that I hardly drive, I have only put 6000 miles on it since buying it new in 2010. It uses synthetic oil that only has to be changed every 7000 miles, I already changed it once in 2011. How often do I have to change it? Does it break down over time or am I good to wait awile more. It has been about a year and a half since I last changed it at about 3500 miles.
First off, I am not an engineer or a mechanic, my knowledge comes purely from obtaining information from reputable mechanic friends, web sites and my own experience.

That said, here is my $0.02's worth:

I drive maybe couple of hundred miles a month. At least 5 days out of a week, my truck sits on the street.
Even if I drove every day, much like you, my rides would be very short, local drives. What I do though, is to go two lane blacktop each weekend.
At least drive like 20 miles each way on the freeway (consistently 65+ mph). That helps burn off the junk the forms in the fluids and also moves the fluids around the components a bit.
I also use good quality synthetic and correct octane fuel. Plus, every other fill up, proper amount of Lucas gas treatment keeps the top part of the engine clean and gas in good condition while minimizing contaminant formation at a minimum.

Use quality and correct octane gas. Also, once every 2 or 3 fill-ups, use Lucas or Seafoam.
Make sure to keep your battery and spark plugs in good working condition. Better the spark better the gas burns, more mpg and also much less (if any at all) unburned gas will be left in the engine which will mean less crap in the oil!

Infrequent or more so, seldom short rides are the worst. Neither your battery gets the sweet charging boost it needs nor does the oil get hot enough to burn off the moisture (water) and other contaminants that gradually forms in the oil/gas.

Much like DOT brake fluid, mineral oil attracts moisture (water) quite a bit, synthetic oil much like DOT 4 brake fluid does too but, to a much lesser degree. So, even by sitting, fluids can and will degrade over time. So, even though you hardly ever drive, because you hardly ever drive, the contaminants would substitute for mileage and it is a wash.

Starting with my first oil change, I switched to Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w-30. Zero complaints. Far superior to other brand name so-called full synthetic oils without the premium price tag (~$6 /quart).

I do my oil changes between 7000-8000 miles, regardless of time. The oil goes in bright green and comes out light brown, no smells and more importantly the integrity of the oil indicates that it is still good. Another overlooked thing is filter, say no to Fram. Use a good quality filter that will compliment the synthetic oil and more importantly less frequent and/or high mileage oil changes.

FYI: Color of the used oil is not a proper way to determine the integrity of the oil.

Ultimately, it is all up to you! Whatever you and your budget is comfortable with.
I'd personally not go cheap on my baby (truck) but if you are using high quality stuff, then there is no point in wasting money if the product is still in good condition. If you have any doubts, as someone else suggested, during an oil change, collect a cup of your old oil and send it in to be analyzed.

It could be a very worthy investment indeed.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 03-21-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Absolutely.

If one follows the manufacturers service and maintenance recommendations, all those nifty snake oil liquids aren't needed.

Isn't it funny how people in general have been conditioned to buy useless stuff?

Here is a fact: If you change your oil regularly, your engine isn't going to last any longer using synthetic oil compared to conventional oil.

What you can do though, with the difference in price you save is maintain the car for less money and then do it right.

You can run a lot longer with syn over dino and for cars like mine, prone to sludge regardless of interval it matters.

Old 03-21-2014, 08:01 PM

23,262 posts, read 23,616,331 times
Once a year, should be fine.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:02 PM

12,931 posts, read 9,535,238 times
Quote:
I have a 2010 honda accord that I hardly drive, I have only put 6000 miles on it since buying it new in 2010. It uses synthetic oil that only has to be changed every 7000 miles, I already changed it once in 2011. How often do I have to change it? Does it break down over time or am I good to wait awile more. It has been about a year and a half since I last changed it at about 3500 miles.
If you hardly drive the car, why spend the extra money for synthetic oil. Regular oil is way better than it use to be. I use synthetic in my mustang gt because I drive it regularly, I have a 2001 Honda accord that I don't drive as much and I just use regular oil and it. I have never had a problem with it thus far.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM

696 posts, read 898,002 times
Quote:
so if you use regular oil and change it once a year and I use synthetic oil which lasts way longer do I only have to change it like once every 3 years?

does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
No because it's a guesstimate otherwise you could find it on Google

Old 03-25-2014, 08:55 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,617,896 times
Quote:
as noted, even in a car, make that especially in a car, that is rarely used, the additive package in the oil breaks down. condensation does form on the crankcase, and as a result acids form in the oil over time. and since you rarely use the car, it likely does not get to operating temperature for a long enough time to burn off the contaminants. this creates sludge formation among other things.

the gist of this is my advice is for you to change your oil at least once per year, twice would be better depending on where you live.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:41 AM

696 posts, read 898,002 times
Quote:
so if you use regular oil and change it once a year and I use synthetic oil which lasts way longer do I only have to change it like once every 3 years?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as noted, even in a car, make that especially in a car, that is rarely used, the additive package in the oil breaks down. condensation does form on the crankcase, and as a result acids form in the oil over time. and since you rarely use the car, it likely does not get to operating temperature for a long enough time to burn off the contaminants. this creates sludge formation among other things.

the gist of this is my advice is for you to change your oil at least once per year, twice would be better depending on where you live.
what is a additive package
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive