Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2014, 10:40 AM

27 posts, read 69,726 times

Advertisements

Let me tell you the situation with the car first, it was my grandmother's which she let me drive after I graduated from high school, for one reason or another my father never got the title in his name just put the car on his insurance, and soon after this was all said and done, my grandmother passed. Now, from my understanding the title would pass to the next of kin or the heir so to speak, which would be my cousin since my uncle, her oldest waived his rights as heir when he became of power of attorney etc. But, there is always a but, here is the problem, I have tried to get the title in my name, but I have not had any luck. They just won't communicate with me.

Now the car is a Dodge Intrepid 2000 it has a little over 70K miles on. The computer went out, and now it won't run and I don't have the $600 to fix it. I have been driving my fiance's car for now, so the Dodge has just been sadly sitting in my drive way. I have been told from my neighbors that I can sell the car for parts, and I have seen listings for it on Craigslist. I have also read online that if I can sell the car for parts legally without a title in my state, everything is up for grabs except for the chassis. But I would not know what to do with the chassis after everything is said and done!

So here is my question, with the information I have provided above, what is the legal way, if any, of selling a car for parts without the title in the state of Texas. Well I can get the title with my grandmother's name on it, but since she is dead and the title is not in my name, I don't see how much help that can be.

In conclusion, if you have any information that could help me in my adventure to sell the car for parts, that would great!

Cheers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2014, 10:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Write a registered letter to the executor of the estate explaining that you have the vehicle in your possession, and you are holding it under a mechanic's lien for storage. Specify a reasonable per-diem amount that you are charging for storage. Tell them this is a final notice and that if the charge is not settled in ten days, you will dispose of the car at your discretion to recover up to the full amount in arrears, dating back to the date of your grandmother's death..

In Fort Worth it's $20 a day storage fee for cars impounded by the police. Consider that a statutorily fair rate. If it's been a year, you can charge $7,300.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-21-2014 at 11:15 AM..

Old 03-21-2014, 11:56 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,466,413 times
Maybe you could take the chassis to a scrap yard? Might be able to get a few bucks from that

Old 03-21-2014, 02:16 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,943,221 times
I would talk to the closest salvage yard about the easiest way to dispose of the car.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:44 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,147,988 times
Tow it to a junkyard and junk it. Problem solved.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:42 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
Try this ????

Call your local DMV office and get the true information that your looking for !!!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4speed2012 View Post
Try this ????

Call your local DMV office and get the true information that your looking for !!!
Did you ever actually talk to anybody on the phone at your local DMV office? Your call is important to them. Due to unexpected call volume, all operators are busy serving other customers. Your wait time is approximately nine hundred and ninety nine minutes (they don't have recordings that go into the thousands). For faster service please go to dmv.gov. Good bye. click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive