Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 03:18 PM

188 posts, read 974,444 times

Advertisements

Hi all..I have a 2005 Kia Sportage and the air conditoner is blowing hot air. Took it to the Kia dealer and had an test done on it and they have said I need an new ECM. They first said it was still under warranty and then a week later they said no, it is not under warranty. (It has 92,00 miles on it)Unfortunnately the ECM is only covered for 8 year, 80,000 miles. The ECM will cost me around $1,300 to get it replaced (at the dealership). Here is my question..there is a garage in a nearby town that says they can rebuild the ECM for around $500. Can this be done? I have had other people tell me that you cannot fix an ECM, that it needs to be replaced. I called Auto Zone to see if I can buy the ECM there instead of at the dealership...I can..but they can't find the price for it. Any ideas?? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:02 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Hi all..I have a 2005 Kia Sportage and the air conditoner is blowing hot air. Took it to the Kia dealer and had an test done on it and they have said I need an new ECM. They first said it was still under warranty and then a week later they said no, it is not under warranty. (It has 92,00 miles on it)Unfortunnately the ECM is only covered for 8 year, 80,000 miles. The ECM will cost me around $1,300 to get it replaced (at the dealership). Here is my question..there is a garage in a nearby town that says they can rebuild the ECM for around $500. Can this be done? I have had other people tell me that you cannot fix an ECM, that it needs to be replaced. I called Auto Zone to see if I can buy the ECM there instead of at the dealership...I can..but they can't find the price for it. Any ideas?? Thanks!!
It's electronics... I can't imagine that there is a shop that can rebuild one unless there are a few main components that commonly fail. I would say no, it cannot be rebuilt.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:07 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,866,412 times
Check with some area salvage yards. They may have just what you need.

I'd take used over Autozone any time.

The real question is-does it really need an ECM? Can you get a second opinion?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:17 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
Many ECM's can be "rebuilt".

The problem with most sources, however, is that they don't actually "rebuild" the units, but locate discrete failed items in them and repair/replace them on an as found basis ... which is only a "repair". Some automotive electronics shops do see a lot of units coming through, and know generally what are the prime failure items in a given ECM ... and will actually replace all of those failed and potentially failing items as a matter of practice, even though your ECM may only present one of the failures at this time.

The problem here is that unless you have a trusted shop that has seen a lot of these items coming through and is backed up by a competent electronics rebuilder, you don't know what you're getting for the quoted $500. OTOH, if your shop has a trusted source for "rebuilt" automotive electronics, this may be a viable way to go for you.

Perhaps a "used" unit from a boneyard is a good alternative, if the price is right.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:54 PM

188 posts, read 974,444 times
Thanks everyone!! Have considered going to a "bone yard" but was told that ECM has to be keyed to the car, that a used one like that will not work. I don't know..may just try to tough it out for the rest of the summer. You know how the saying goes...If it wasn't for bad luck...wouldn't have any luck at all!! Just still thankful that the car does still run..and riding with windows down is not to bad...untill a bug flies in and hits you!! LOL!!!

Old 07-12-2010, 09:01 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam531 View Post
Thanks everyone!! Have considered going to a "bone yard" but was told that ECM has to be keyed to the car, that a used one like that will not work. I don't know..may just try to tough it out for the rest of the summer. You know how the saying goes...If it wasn't for bad luck...wouldn't have any luck at all!! Just still thankful that the car does still run..and riding with windows down is not to bad...untill a bug flies in and hits you!! LOL!!!
Getting a junkyard ECM and having a dealership reprogram it for the new key still may be your cheapest option.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:54 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times
Search google for ecu/ecm rebuilders because some have a large stock on hand ready to be shipped and you receive credit for your core when sent in and they usually include waurentees. I've replaced many ecu's over past 13 yrs owning 3 - 1st gen mitsubishi eclipses/talons ('90-94's) since substandard capacitors from factory often leaked on mitsubishis and several other car companies during those years. I've bought good used ecu's off ebay for $100 but only would buy with a no questions asked refund policy and I've bought several $50-$75 good used ones off forums dedicated to my particular car. I would never pay $1000+ for an ecu ESPECIALLY on an older or cheaper car if good used ones or rebuilt ones are availble for a fraction of the cost. See if there are any forums dedicated to your car or brand and if there's a parts buy/sell section someone with a parts car may have a perfectly good ecu for sale. That or try ebay like mentioned or scrap yards who offer a guarentee. Get ecu part # off the unit and type it in on ebay or wherever you may look. You can also try pulling your ecu out of car and opening it and inspecting to see if you can spot the problem like a leaking capacitor and if it hasn't leaked all over replacing one and getting one soldered in professionally would not be a big deal.

If you don't know much about cars in general and a shop 'SAID' it needs to be replaced doesn't always make it so since there's big bucks involved and not everyone's always on the up + up. One time pep boys said I needed a new ecu AND tcu (tranny computer) for $2000 total so I had them push my car out into the parking lot. I got a junk yard ecu for $150 installed it myself and drove off with no problems afterwards and I never needed a tcu either. Lots of rip-offs out there

Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM

460 posts, read 3,546,450 times
Oh just read your 1st post and sounds very suspicious to me that a/c blows hot air and dealer wants to replace ecu. When there's that much money involved I'd be very cautious and if car runs good other than a/c isn't operating 100% I'd definately get a 2nd opinion and would go to a place that does a/c service and see what they say. But yeah ecu going bad in 5 yrs time is unusual and having a simple leak somewhere in your a/c system or perhaps a bad compressor sounds more likely.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,193 times
I work with dealerships with the business i work for, and in my experience i have learned that the dealer repair guys know as much or less than the independant shop down the road. Also, I don't know if it's an ecm problem. ECM stands for engine control module. The A/C systems, unless it's auto climate control are still basically a mechanical component, not really controlled by the computer. Honestly, you may simply have a leak and the system needs to be recharged. Or the compressor needs to be repaired or replaced. It's not uncommon for the dealers to try to shake you down for money. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2012, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 32,282 times
There certainly are rebuilt ecms a available for most cars they often come with great warrantees at 1/4 to1/2 price of new . New car dealers often use them without your knowledge or consent and charge new price while telling you they cant be rebuilt .
I have had. Dealers say i needed to pay first and collect from factory for reimbursement of warantee only to call customer service for confirmation from eaton a d being told they would send a wrecker to bring my truck to a reputable. Shop on thier dime for warrantee work. Take dealers words with due caution they arent all out to save you money on repairs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive