Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:49 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,880,812 times

Advertisements

The problem I see with that limit is the fact there are a whole lot of cars out there that aren't in good enough mechanical condition to be going that fast. Suspensions, tires, brakes, etc that won't handle those speeds... too many people who will be driving their junk out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 12:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
Yes, here in TX, I don't drive the 80 mph as your mpg really goes down hill. I will keep the cruise on 70 and enjoy the scenery. LOL
There is a toll road outside of Austin with a speed limit of 85MPH. No one drives below 90MPH.

Old 03-27-2014, 01:31 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The problem I see with that limit is the fact there are a whole lot of cars out there that aren't in good enough mechanical condition to be going that fast. Suspensions, tires, brakes, etc that won't handle those speeds... too many people who will be driving their junk out there...
One solution would be to issue coded license plates. If you want to drive that fast, you apply for a coded plate, and have to prove that your car is mechanically capable of maintaining such speeds safely. Masny states alreadyhave annual safety inspection requirements, which could just be more stringent on cars with a high-speed plate.

Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
No complaints here. Yes those roads go on forever in a straight line and often you're the only one on the road for hours.

I did 90-100mph once to get from the middle of Wyoming to Northern Colorado in 4 hours

Old 03-27-2014, 02:14 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
I am a native Westerner who has driven in every Western state during over four decades of driving. I'm vehemently opposed to raising speed limits to 80 MPH and here is why:

1. Study after study has shown that typical drivers do not have sufficient mental reaction times to make good driving decisions at speeds above about 70-75 MPH. That is especially true of older drivers.

2. As others have noted, many vehicles on the road are not in good enough mechanical condition to be driven at higher speeds and that is a growing problem, not a shrinking one.

3. One of the biggest safety hazards on highways is when vehicles are traveling at very different speeds. Many over-the-road truck fleets are now governed by their owners to a maximum speed of 65 MPH. Having cars going 15, 20, or 25 MPH faster is a prescription for more accidents.

4. The higher speed limits waste fuel. The more vehicle speed increases over 65 MPH, the greater percentage loss in fuel economy. The LAST thing we need in this country is to use more fuel on the highways.

5. For the typical cross-state trip (even in the large Western states), the time saved with a higher speed limit is pretty minimal--and certainly not worth the extra cost and risk that it causes.

It's a bad idea that, no matter how popular, needs to die.

Last edited by jazzlover; 03-27-2014 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-27-2014, 02:28 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
I'm still a cheapskate, and also prefer not to get killed. Have seen the charts that show how badly gas mileage plummets as speed increases. With gas creeping back up to nearly four bucks, the caluclator is churning again. Even in states with 75-80 mph limits, intend to plod (?) along at a steady 70 in the right hand lane where I belong, with the trucks, rvs, and fellow slowpokes.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Another little something people need to consider is that infrasonic sound levels increase with the velocity of a vehicle. This can lead to depression, and a great many other problems. Current thought is that it can be a factor contributing to Deep Vein Thrombosis. Just look up the harmful effects of infrasonic sound.

I hate the idea of sharing the road with drunks and potheads. The thought that drunks and potheads will be able to legally drive at ridiculous speeds compounds their dangerousness (and reduces the likelihood that they will be pulled-over and thrown into jail where they belong, before they have a chance to kill innocent people).

There are so many reasons why these insanely high speed limits are examples of criminal misgovernment.

Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
I hate the idea of sharing the road with drunks and potheads. [/b]
Drunks will never be legal behind the wheel. Medical marijuana is legal and does not impair judgment.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post

1. Study after study has shown that typical drivers do not have sufficient mental reaction times to make good driving decisions at speeds above about 70-75 MPH. That is especially true of older drivers.

Then how do some of those very same people pilot airplanes at 400+mph?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:38 PM

1,218 posts, read 3,469,529 times
I think he is saying older drivers should be banned from highways
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive