Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:52 PM

2,391 posts, read 5,047,978 times

Advertisements

I'm not a subscriber and I use to be able to look at Consumer Reports for basic info. Is there a car or SUV that is reliable and not much issues from~? I know all vehicles have issues, but I'm considering a SUV over a Chrysler 200. Any opinions on Chrysler 200's~? I don't know what kind of SUV but thinking about the Ford Edge or the Chevrolet Equinox. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 09:06 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,574 posts, read 81,167,557 times
I have the subscription. In small SUVs, the best rated are 1) Subaru Forester 2) Ford Escape (We have a 2014 and love it) and 3) Honda CRV

For Midsized 1) Hyundai Santa Fe 2) Nissan Murano 3) Jeep Grand Cherokee

Edge is rated 10th best, Equinox 12th. The Chrysler 200 is rated terribly, 52 of 100 score. In it's class the highest rated in order are the Mazda 6, Honda Accord, Chevrolet Malibu, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Sonata.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)

IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing & Highway Safety

Old 03-28-2014, 07:36 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
The Chrysler 200 is a horrible choice. Just about as bad as the Dodge Avenger was (its cousin). Chrysler is years away from building a truly competitive front wheel drive sedan. They do a good job with rear wheel drive - Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:07 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The Chrysler 200 is a horrible choice. Just about as bad as the Dodge Avenger was (its cousin). Chrysler is years away from building a truly competitive front wheel drive sedan. They do a good job with rear wheel drive - Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger.
The current 200 is a holdover from before Fiat got Chrysler. The new one is supposed to be quite nice, actually, from all automotive magazine reports.

2015 Chrysler 200 First Drive - Autoblog

Current one:

new one:

Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,009,690 times
I do not understand why the choice is between the breadth of available SUV's, or a Chrysler 200? How does the 200 fit in? Is there just a great deal on one that you have your eye on for the value?

What are your real needs? What are you using it for? What would you like it to do? I could recommend all kinds of nice vehicles, but if they do not fit what you need it to accomplish it doesn't matter where it scores on a consumer reports study.

BTW, I would rank the 200 as basic, middle of the road transportation. It starts and goes, but there is nothing particularly great or noteworthy about it. It is a styling refresh on the Sebring version/platform which debuted in 2007. That Sebring wasn't particularly good in-class in 2007, so I cannot imagine the 200 fairs favorably to competitors in class, just about all which have had very significant redesigns more recently. (The new 200 looks good on paper, but being based on the Dart... I wonder if it will be up to the image they want it to have).

I have less bad to say about the Edge or Equinox, but not a ton of good to say either. The Edge to me is too pricey. I would look at a Subaru Outback or Toyota Venza before the Edge. The Equinox I think is a little better than it's reputation, but is not likely to top a lot of professional reviews against its competitors either.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:50 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
There is nothing made by Chrysler that I'd consider spending even a wooden nickel on; among SUVs, the Acura MDX has been the gold standard throughout its existence, but it requires premium fuel, so go with its trusty sibling the Honda Pilot, and you'll enjoy it until you trade it in on another one.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
The new Dodge Dart was supposed to be good too. The truth was different.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:26 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I'm not a subscriber and I use to be able to look at Consumer Reports for basic info. Is there a car or SUV that is reliable and not much issues from~? I know all vehicles have issues, but I'm considering a SUV over a Chrysler 200. Any opinions on Chrysler 200's~? I don't know what kind of SUV but thinking about the Ford Edge or the Chevrolet Equinox. Thanks for the info.
I'm confused. Do you want a car or an SUV? They are very different vehicles with very different purposes. If you have children, an SUV is a great advantage, especially if they still need to ride in child safety seats. They are also great if you need to haul cargo. If you want better gas mileage, a car is a better choice, of course.

I have had several SUVs and I'm a big fan. I just purchased a 2011 Mazda CX-7, and it's pretty nice. It has a lot of pep for a small SUV, and it is rated highly. Just before I got my CX-7 I had a Hyundai Santa Fe. I really loved that SUV, and honestly preferred than one over my Mazda. It is rated even higher, however, I wanted a pretty new car this time, and a newer Santa Fe was too expensive. I looked on US News for the ratings and features information. They helped me decide on my Mazda.

Top-Ranked SUVs | U.S. News Best Cars

Old 03-28-2014, 09:42 AM

347 posts, read 650,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The new Dodge Dart was supposed to be good too. The truth was different.
It is a good car, but it's not a great car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive