Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Any car will last as long as you perform scheduled maintenance. We are talking reliability here, not capability. That does come at a higher price. The myths about certain brands from certain countries are just that: myths. And Consumer Reports is the last place I'd refer to for automotive information. All those people probably drive Camrys (gag).
Of course there are always exceptions as far as reliability because cars are complex machines subject to varying treatment.
I've been in the Car business for 22-years, and I know firsthand that the coveted Euro brands have just as many issues as any other make, only they cost 3-times as much to fix.
But who would want a car with 200,000 miles? No warranty, old technology, and outdated looks!

Based on the above, what car(s) do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 10:41 AM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
285k on my 93 Honda civic. Swapped in a motor from a 95 Acura Integra GSR in 2002 at 125k miles.
Between Street legal racing,serving up v6 mustangs and 60 mile round trip commutes all good

Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 AM

738 posts, read 999,736 times
Quote:
Let me guess. Your kitchen appliances are Harvest Gold, and you have a bathroom with pink tile!
You're close. But it simply doesn't make any financial sense to dump a lot of money into a new vehicle. Of course, it would make sense to the person selling me the vehicle...obviously...

I guess this means that I'm not a good consumer. Oh well...

RVcook

Last edited by RVcook; 03-31-2014 at 10:54 AM..

Old 03-31-2014, 10:59 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,961 times
Awesome, I have an f250 and a camry, the f250 top of the truck/suv list and also the camry on the car list.

Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Based on the above, what car(s) do you prefer?
I come from a family that only drove Fords since the beginning. With my ties to the car business, I have an Explorer, a
Mercedes and a Porsche(not new) in the driveway.
Never owned a Japanese car and likely never will.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:21 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Strange. There are no 1988-2000 Jeep Wranglers on there, and there are a crap load of them on the road, and a large chunk of them are over 200K. Especially with the 4.0 inline 6.
Doubt that many have that many miles.

People throw money into Wranglers, which is pretty much Consume Appliances (not that this even had anything to do with Consumer Appliances) major criteria. Anything will make it to 200k if you keep dumping money into it, which Jeep owners will do. Then again, Jeep buyers usually are aware of how unreliable and maintenance intensive Wranglers are and are fine with that since they aren't just buying a toaster to go from A to B as cheaply as possible.

Old 03-31-2014, 12:48 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
HAHA. An Audi is an incredibly expensive car to fix/maintain. Running an audi to 120k without a dime being put into it must be some kind of record
As I stated, I know how to drive. Most cars these days will easily go over 200K miles. Also, I drive a standard shift. This is a must if you are a real driver and want to have a car last. Automatics cannot see the road. They will shift unnecessarily when taking your foot off the gas and coming to a stop. With a manual tranny, you can keep the car in the correct gear to aid in slowing down. Again, people in the US don't drive manual vehicles because they are not trained to drive. It is all about cup holders, big clunky vehicles that don't handle well or brake well. People in the US love big trucks for some reason. They drive them around empty 99% of the time and haul someone's couch one day and think to themselves, wow thank goodness I have my big truck. Too funny. Anyway, it is what it is. I can't tell you how many times I see people driving up a hill and approach a curve in the road and have to use their brake. That tells it all. People wonder why their cars don't last. Goodness!

Old 03-31-2014, 03:13 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
I've been in the Car business for 22-years, and I know firsthand that the coveted Euro brands have just as many issues as any other make, only they cost 3-times as much to fix.
I don't think anyone usually thinks of European brands as the pinnacle of long-term reliability. Good craftsmanship, but they're usually complex, high-tech luxury cars. That kind of thing ages poorly in many cases. And they're all notorious for very high maintenance costs when they get out of warranty/get older.

Japanese cars are the ones known for lasting long-term and being cost-effective to keep running.

Quote:
But who would want a car with 200,000 miles? No warranty, old technology, and outdated looks!
Well, it all depends on the age of the car with 200,000 miles. I don't want a 1985 K-Car even if it's running great with 200,000 miles. On the other hand I have a Mazda Tribute that's now 13 years old with 200k, and it looks perfectly fine on modern roads. The lack of warranty coverage is certainly far cheaper than buying a new car is.

Why anyone would want technology built in their car is largely beyond me as a concept. It's another thing to break, and another thing to separate me further from the road.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:52 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Nonsense. Someone can cut you off and you make an emegency manuever and you flip, whereas in a car you would never flip. Someone can smash into you and you can flip. Someone can run you off the road into the grass and you can flip. You can lose control on ice and flip in the median. It's simple physics. Width vs Height vs height of suspension(top heavy). Roll overs are notorious for causing massive injuries. You're living in a delusional world where as long as you drive safely, you'll never have an accident. There are idiots all over the road and everyone makes mistakes. That will never change. Driving safely simply reduces risk. Having a car that's top heavy and likely to flip increases risk of rollover fatality compared to vehicle that is more stable. Let's be realistic, an suv for 90% of owners is simply a soccer mom's car meant to move kids. They don't want a minivan because for some reason that's not "cool" and doesn't fit their "image". I've heard parents say I don't want a soccer mom's car so I'm getting a ford explorer instead of a windstar. Well guess what.....#1 You ARE a soccer mom #2 That is a soccer mom's car. Just like people who have no need for a pickup truck. It has a "manly" image that's been sold to them by guys with deep voices on tv ads. Do some people need a pickup for a business. Sure. But a large percentage don't And that's another vehicle that has no reason to have a raised suspension. They can haul just fine for majority of needs with a 2x2 suspension height. Raised suspensions are for offroading, which 99% of stock suv's are useless at anyway.
Thanks again for your opinions and moronic generalizations.

90% of SUV owners are soccer moms? Man you must be super busy collecting all that data from the millions of SUV owners. How do you find time to post here?

Old 03-31-2014, 04:52 PM

418 posts, read 1,090,145 times
WHAT-- no Crown Vic. typical CR article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive