Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:47 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomadAK View Post
as they used to say-new oats are expensive, but after they've been through the horse we can make you a helluva deal!
Now that is funny, LOL.

3 hours and all the work is finished and I learned a few new tricks on how things work on these new vehicles. So, hopefully I'll get another 95,000 plus miles out of it before I decide to buy a new truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 02:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My one Son just bought a Lincoln Towncar to flip and the airbag light was on. Ford wanted $ 480 for the Airbag Control Module that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I went to the local pick and pull and got one for $25......light is out. Same with my Caddy, GM wanted $ 68 for an interior light relay and I got one at Advance Auto for $ 23.

But it all started with Henry Ford. His philosophy was "Sell them the car cheap and then get them on the parts."

Don
If a dealership or an IGO did something that foolhardy and there were an accident which resulted in a failed airbag, there would be a mufti-million dollar lawsuit..
Several dealerships I do business with refuse to touch any part of an airbag sytem, they farm it out to professionals who specialize in airbag systems. The liability is far to great to have untrained persons touching life or death systems..
If the car were in an accident and the bag deployed, they fix the car and sublet the airbag system and cover their azz..
Your son needs to think twice before putting all of his assets at risk to save a few bucks..

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 PM

929 posts, read 2,723,462 times
The average dealership makes about 1/3 in vehicle sales, 1/3 in F &I, and only 1/3 in parts and service.
Some dealers use matrix pricing on their parts, charging a crazy markup. But this is usually on parts you can only get new from them, not the maintenance parts your truck needed.
You are fortunate you can work on your truck yourself.

Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,971,215 times
I've done my own repairs and still do the easy ones. I stopped doing the harder stuff when it always seemed like I lacked a special tool or ran into something unexpected. Think rusted bolt breaking off in your hand on a Sunday. I came to realize I have my limitations, both mechanical and patience wise. I certainly admire those who choose to DIY, but I have some good Toyota Techs at my local shop. I know I pay more, but they treat me right and it does help during buying negotiations to mention that you use their service as well.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:24 PM

There will always be some things I won't be able to do myself, ie, the electronic, trans and the motor in general. But many of the others I'll be able to do, or find someone other than the dealer to do the job. But, if it gets to that, then its time to buy a new truck and make sure it comes with a good warranty.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:51 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Stealerships are in business to make money! The guy that called you to tell you of all the needed repairs was on commission so part of that markup paid him for his sales prospecting!

Old 03-30-2014, 05:54 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
My one Son just bought a Lincoln Towncar to flip and the airbag light was on. Ford wanted $ 480 for the Airbag Control Module that is about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I went to the local pick and pull and got one for $25......light is out. Same with my Caddy, GM wanted $ 68 for an interior light relay and I got one at Advance Auto for $ 23.

But it all started with Henry Ford. His philosophy was "Sell them the car cheap and then get them on the parts."

Don
To be fair, a used junk yard part for an airbag probably isn't something I want to save money on! Interior light relay, no problem.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Stealerships are in business to make money! The guy that called you to tell you of all the needed repairs was on commission so part of that markup paid him for his sales prospecting!
Well then I'm glad I turned them down and did it all myself. If that's how they make their money, by deception, then they don't need my money at all.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,497,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well it was $740 difference.

From that, I would guess maybe 4-5 hours of labor, at what, at least $100/hr? So call it $500 in labor/shop supplies (this is the true mark up).

Go buy the Toyota branded parts and compare them to your "OME" auto parts store parts. They won't even be close to the same quality. Yes, your "OME" (I assume you mean OEM) auto store parts will fit and have the exact same specification as the Toy parts, but the quality will be significanty inferior. Take this from someone who knows. People do this all the time on cars, original part lasts 150,000 miles they buy an "OEM" part that fits and it lasts 30,000 miles...but it was 1/4 the cost.

*Sometimes* you can find the manufacturer of the branded part and buy the same for slightly less, but it's not normally a significant savings if both are bought online. If bought locally from a Dealer, they do tend to price higher. However, I've actually noticed I can buy Toyota parts from my dealer for less than what I can get online.
If it was 1/4 of the cost, you' would still come out ahead using the OEM part (assuming your labor was free).... But I agree with your point. Manufacturer original parts are generally better.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
And your point is?

Yes, junkyard parts cost far less than new with a long term warranty and in some cases engineering revisions.

Yes, aftermarket parts cost less than genuine original equipment.

And your point is?

Don in Austin
My point is not that the junkyard part was so cheap, my point is that the original dealer part was stupidly expensive in the first place. There is no reason in hell for a simple little box to cost almost $500, just as there is no reason for a 5 pin relay (that everyone else sells for $20 some dollars) to cost almost $70 just because Cadillac sells it.

I am in the marine industry and I also build cars. I have seen the EXACT same part that was sold for a car cost $10 but when they sell it for a boat it suddenly becomes 3 or 4 times that figure. The reason they can get away with it is because the average shopper has no idea what it should be and blindly pays whatever the dealer says.

A fair profit is one thing, gouging a customer is something altogether different.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive