Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 AM

10 posts, read 96,414 times

Advertisements

Hi ,

I really require help regarding used car.

I have seen one Toyota Corolla-S very nice and clean car, I took test drive runs nice.

I was about to make a deal, I have asked to my dealer to give me a car report, he gave me AutoCheck car report looks nice, no accident.

I have ran same VIN number to CARFAX it shows "Damage reported after
accident or other incident Damage to left rear" , I asked my dealer abt this he was also surprised by looked it.

After that we have checked rear part, it was perfect.

I like this car, but this stuff make me confuse.

Please help me guys !! What should I do ? to whom believe CARFAX or Autocheck ? or if say carfax is right then Shall I go for it cause it was rear ?

Thank you in advance.
Sagar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:18 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
There can be reporting issues such as this. It can also go the other way around with Autocheck having it and Carfax not.
If one of them says it had an accident, then it certainly did have an accident. There is always going to be a discrepancy, no matter how small, when you're talking about a third party agency reporting vehicle history. The only source that can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that there was an accident on such'n'such a date is the person behind the wheel when it crashed.

If you really like the car, get it checked out by an independent shop that deals with accident repair/body/frame to know the extent of the damage and if it's a safety/reliability issue.

Left rear, could mean a dent or scrape to the bumper, could be a ding on the side or broken tail light that was replaced or it could be a crumpled trunk. Who know?

Hammer Time: Carfax vs. Autocheck | The Truth About Cars

Old 03-30-2014, 07:09 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,787,041 times
If its on the report then it had damage because it was fixed at a dealership, its best to get the vin and call Toyota and get the true facts.

Support | Toyota.com

Old 03-30-2014, 07:37 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
Those reports are meant to be used as a helpful tool for assessing the car, but they are only as good as the data which was reported. There are so many cars that are repaired "off the books" after an accident and the damage is not reported at all. In this day and age, the only way to REALLY be sure there wasn't an accident would be to use a paint gauge... it measures the thickness of the paint. If there's been an accident, there will be a difference between the factory paint and the fixed part.

If you've looked at the area where you think there may have been an accident, and can't tell, then it was most likely repaired very well and shouldn't be cause for worry.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:54 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post

If you really like the car, get it checked out by an independent shop that deals with accident repair/body/frame to know the extent of the damage and if it's a safety/reliability issue.

Left rear, could mean a dent or scrape to the bumper, could be a ding on the side or broken tail light that was replaced or it could be a crumpled trunk. Who know?

Hammer Time: Carfax vs. Autocheck | The Truth About Cars
YES! My manager says that you can tell when previous work has been done.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:27 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,623,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarvyas View Post
Hi ,

I really require help regarding used car.

I have seen one Toyota Corolla-S very nice and clean car, I took test drive runs nice.

I was about to make a deal, I have asked to my dealer to give me a car report, he gave me AutoCheck car report looks nice, no accident.

I have ran same VIN number to CARFAX it shows "Damage reported after
accident or other incident Damage to left rear" , I asked my dealer abt this he was also surprised by looked it.

After that we have checked rear part, it was perfect.

I like this car, but this stuff make me confuse.

Please help me guys !! What should I do ? to whom believe CARFAX or Autocheck ? or if say carfax is right then Shall I go for it cause it was rear ?

Thank you in advance.
Sagar
I think the Corolla is in the top 3 best selling cars in the world, that means there are plenty of them out there. If you have any doubts about this car my suggestion would be to move on.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM

10 posts, read 96,414 times
Thank you everyone for really good reply, Appreciated !!

One more question ? When I will sell this car this report cause the problem for me ? Well I can always argue that Autocheck is shows No Accident but though.

Thank,
Sagar

Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
Can someone please explain these services?

It's not mandatory that dealers or mechanics report accidents and repairs be reported to these services is it?

If not, if I don't want my car info reported can't I just ask my repair place if they report....or if they do ask them not to report my info.

I just don't want my info reported. If I want my info reported I PERSONALLY will report it. I'm just so tired of my info -- in general -- being shared by third parties. Whose business is it if MY car gets repaired?

Old 03-30-2014, 10:03 AM

19,014 posts, read 27,569,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarvyas View Post
Thank you everyone for really good reply, Appreciated !!

One more question ? When I will sell this car this report cause the problem for me ? Well I can always argue that Autocheck is shows No Accident but though.

Thank,
Sagar

YES. As you are not the only one smart out there to pull Carfax.

If you plan on reselling this car, do not buy it. Or, get a price that reflects a car with reported collision.
IIf you plan to drive her till wheels fall off, take her to a reputable body shop. All it takes is for one of their techs to step out and look at the car. I have seen trained eye spot ANY repairs in a heartbeat, on a car that has perfect Carfax. Replaced door and fender, and that car was bought from Lexus as certified vehicle with big fancy certificate. You didn't know dealers are lyres?
So, after a BODY SHOP guy assess the car, you can circle back with dealer and knock the price down.
But truly, why bother? Dealer will stick to his price, knowing that next buyer will not be half as smart as you are and will not notice nothing. So buy something else.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
AutoCheck and CarFax are the "messengers" in this case, Sagarvyas.

Mistakes happen but, if future resale value is important to you, the CarFax information needs to be verified as either accurate or inaccurate and then corrected if warranted or you need to find another vehicle.

Last edited by Bummer; 03-30-2014 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive