Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 02:34 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
or nothing at all.
Gee, I think I said that very thing in my post that you quoted, good to see you're paying attention...

Everyone has recalls, but let's count how many have died from the Dodge truck issue you mentioned, hold on while I add it up... zero
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 02:41 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Just look at how GM abandoned us loyal Saturn, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Hummer owners and you will know everything you need to know about how they treat thier "customers".

Yet, they have the audacity to periodically send us "loyal owner" special invitations to buy a new GM product.

Yeah, GM can sit on this and rotate.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:33 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
My takeaway is this.................Yes big corporate America does it's best to assume no blame and pass the buck............but Toyota had a good reputation for 20 plus years before having major complaints in last 5-10 years..............GM had a bad rep. and they need to be picture perfect for at least several years to regain street credibility with the public..............and this story shows epic failure.

That about cover it?

Feel free to amend

Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/25/bu...thal-flaw.html

Deny, lie, and threaten grieving families and customers! Diehard loyal GM fans (which I once was), defend this.
Diehard loyal GM fan here, and I can tell you all the mfg are the same under such conditions. They, like all corporations, are bottom line people, they deal with numbers and risk factors, not emotions..
Do I like it or approve? No, but nothing will ever change. If you wait to do business with a corporation with a heart, you will never own another product of any kind,ever. Life's a ******, then you die....

Old 03-31-2014, 06:44 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
OMG..! Old Gringo and I are on the same side, and it isn't even April 1st yet. The god's must be angry....

Old 03-31-2014, 06:57 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Gee, I think I said that very thing in my post that you quoted, good to see you're paying attention...

Everyone has recalls, but let's count how many have died from the Dodge truck issue you mentioned, hold on while I add it up... zero
Unknown with the GM one as well. May have, probably was, some, but it's similar to Toyota sudden unintended acceleration. Take the LEO and his family that died in San Diego, I think. In that case he was using several mats on top of each other that did not belong in the car. The mats pinned the accelerator down. He could have done any number of things but didn't. Design flaw? Yes. Improper use? Yes (wrong mats, installed incorrectly). User error? Yes. Culmination of all three had a very unfortunate outcome. At least one of the GM deaths was drunk. Not like as in just legally drunk, but definitely drunk. Did the power shutoff, or did the drunk drive into a tree? I don't know. Drunks do, for no apparent reason, lose control of their vehicle.

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Dodge Ram steering under investigation - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
They just issued the recall for the million and some trucks affected by that investigation toward the end of 2013, years after knowing about the problem and choosing to do nothing.

Same thing. Good thing Dodge and Ford don't have midsize trucks. So you'll have to pretty much buy a Toyota since you won't buy a GM, or nothing at all.
The Chrysler Concorde of the mid 90s was notorious for a complete steering failure that resulted in numerous accidents.

Starting to be a common thing, car makers knowing but not doing anything about serious problems.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:05 PM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
The Chrysler Concorde of the mid 90s was notorious for a complete steering failure that resulted in numerous accidents.

Starting to be a common thing, car makers knowing but not doing anything about serious problems.
Yeah, sadly so.

Old 03-31-2014, 07:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
I don't know why you guys jump just on GM because ALL manufacturers have some safety issues. There are tons of recalls. GM just got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Its a corporation that sells cars rather than computers. That's all. These giants have a battalion of lawyers ready to string out legal land mines and throw a protective force field to do Captain Kirk proud.
It's pretty sad that it took people dying to finally get investigations started. It's not like were all gonna stop buying cars and they know it. Hell do you remember the Ford/Firestone fiasco?

What I really wonder is how much more cost was incurred by adding the parts that made the key switch not fail. I am willing to bet it was so minimal you'll wanna scream. But you can thank some pencil neck bean counter that proudly was able to shave off a nickel off the cost of the car. And then all the GM suits patted each other on the back and went to a corporate lunch to celebrate.

Ultimately all car manufacturers have some safety issue they try and sweep under the rug.

Old 03-31-2014, 09:37 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
It's how you handle problems you created is what separates all the companies. When you recall 4.2 million cars in less then a month, your doing something seriously wrong. You don't fix a simple problem you've know about for 10 years, I won't ever buy your products simply because you don't care for me, I don't care for you. (plus I've never liked a gm made car)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive