Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 03:27 PM

1,136 posts, read 941,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
There are several posts throughout this thread linking to statistics showing people have been hurt/killed by being run over by vehicles backing up. What more evidence do you need?

Mike
Yeah, I saw that 60 people or so have been hurt by vehicles backing up per year. If that's your bar, you'd better start doing something about toilets. Maybe a government mandate or regulation.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:31 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,633,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Yeah, I saw that 60 people or so have been hurt by vehicles backing up per year. If that's your bar, you'd better start doing something about toilets. Maybe a government mandate or regulation.
You couldn't even get the fatality statistics right. Approximately 200 people per year die and 17,000 are injured but survive. The NHTSA estimates 60-70 of those fatalities could be eliminated if the vehicles had backup cameras.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
You couldn't even get the fatality statistics right. Approximately 200 people per year die and 17,000 are injured but survive. The NHTSA estimates 60-70 of those fatalities could be eliminated if the vehicles had backup cameras.
Hey, I read it off someone's post. Complain to them. What's your point? My statement about toilets still applies. Oh, and don't forget pools. Those things are terrible, aren't they?

Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,533 times
Oh lord. The people that believe that since we cannot eliminate EVERY source of danger, we should never eliminate some sources.

Every one of you that thinks only "stupid" drivers can back over a dog, toddler or similar are fools.

Old 04-02-2014, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Oh lord. The people that believe that since we cannot eliminate EVERY source of danger, we should never eliminate some sources.

Every one of you that thinks only "stupid" drivers can back over a dog, toddler or similar are fools.
Great, if it's that important to you, then buy a car with a camera. I guess you'll never have an accident again. Or if you do, then get the government to do something about it while tears run down your cheeks?

Old 04-02-2014, 04:07 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,108,580 times
I like the backup camera feature in my car.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Well said! What ever happened to turn around and LOOKing?
It's more than just seeing directly behind you. The camera can see from the ground to the sky. You cant see below your trunk. They are also "fisheye" lenses so not only can you see behind you, you can see around the car parked next to you. It gives you an added advantage with parked next to an SUV or truck.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,721,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by transdimensionalhottie View Post
Okay, that makes sense, you should only worry about privacy if you have something to hide.
But you DO know that the camera is OUTSIDE your car, right? Even if it was on it is only filming what is going on behind you. Are you concerned the guy in front of you is filming you? How is that less private that if I were driving next to you. If Im next to you I can see everything you are doing in the car. The camera only lets me see a fragment of what I can already see....

...assuming it is even active when you are moving forward. (which it isnt)

I dont see how this violates any form of privacy.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:44 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
[quote=Hesster;34131200]That doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It happens quite a lot, in fact. Approximately 200 people are killed and 17,000 injured due to backover accidents every year. That's not even counting the anguish and property damage from people hitting other cars, pets, shopping carts, fences, mailboxes and so on.

Here's a scenario for you... You're in a regular car, say a coupe or compact sedan. You go to a busy store, park your car and go inside. When you come out, you find a huge SUV on one side, and a minivan on the other. Both are longer and taller than your car, blocking your view from both sides. Lots of pedestrians are walking through the parking lot. You wait for a group to pass, and while you're waiting a toddler who came from the vehicle parked on the other side of the SUV and got away from his parent runs behind your car. A quick glance at a backup camera would tell you the way is no longer clear, but since you don't have one and you checked just a minute ago you start backing up. You're a responsible driver, and you looked, but you still run over the kid. You could say it's the parent's fault for not watching their kid every second, but how would you really feel looking at the crushed body under your tire?

Here's a scenario for you... You're in a regular car, say a coupe or compact sedan. You go to a busy store, park your car and go inside. When you come out, you find a huge SUV on one side, and a minivan on the other. Both are longer and taller than your car, blocking your view from both sides. Lots of pedestrians are walking through the parking lot. You wait for a group to pass, now that the way is clear, you look in the BU camera screen and start backing up. While you are watching a child's ball rolls under your car and he runs up to the side of the car and reaches for it under the front wheel you back over him. It was determined that the accident was caused by you looking at your back camera screen and not paying enough attention to your side mirrors. BTW if there are kids in the area forget about taking quick glances at the BU screen. If you just glance at it you can still run over the kid the runs behind your car.

I think that they should make side view cameras mandatory and the under carriage view cameras so you won't run over someone that's hiding under the car.. Something else they can add is a back-up alarm that go's off to make people look at you as you back out.

Humans are humans and even if every one had a BU camera only a small portion would use it, just like the mandatory seat belts, mandatory turn signals, mandatory rear view mirrors, mandatory brake lights, mandatory head lights, mandatory emergency blinkers, etc. etc.. Now if we can just keep the driver away from the whiskey and beer and illegal drugs. Don't forget keeping the driver free from stress so they can pay attention to their driving. Another thing that would help is making talking on the cell phone or texting on the cell phone illegal. Then the next step is to remove any source of music out of the car. The next thing after that is to put a wall up around the driver so he/she won't be distracted by the other passengers. Ultimately the best thing to do would be to make cars illegal. Oh wait a min, if we all had to walk we would still be running into to each other.

When I made my first post concerning this subject, I said it would never be useful where I live. I live on gravel roads and the camera would be dirty all the time and would be unusable. There are no children living within 1/2 mile of me, my closest neighbor is 1/4 mile away. Also, when I go to town I always park away from all the other cars and trucks. When you walk to the car you will have 50 yards to see around the vehicle, no chance of kids around.

Making BU cameras mandatory are just one more useless item on the car that will never be used by at least 50% of the drivers. For those that think that BU cameras are more then worth it then no one is stopping them from buying them, but why are they going to force me to buy it.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:50 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Hey, I read it off someone's post. Complain to them. What's your point? My statement about toilets still applies. Oh, and don't forget pools. Those things are terrible, aren't they?
I will add: And we need another law so soccer players wear a helmet and safety goggles, and another so that every kid playing in a playground wear a memory foam full-body armor, and a helmet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive