Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:40 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I had a rental car last month that came with a backup camera. There seemed to be a 2-3 second lag in catching objects. In other words, my eyes were much faster at seeing danger than the camera was. The only plus was that it made my reverse parking a bit less sloppy. Other than that I don't see it being of much use.
That is odd that there was a delay. There WAS a problem with delay in the earlier cameras but I thought that had long since been corrected. I know the one in my 2010 Taurus is real time and the one in the wife's '13 Camaro is as well.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Oh, so your point of view doesn't have to meet the same standards that his does? And you call that "absurd"? You're terrible at this.
I haven't appealed to the ridiculous, indeed, to argue that people should be wary of over confidence is quite reasonable, a quick glance at history will show many examples ("they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance").

You're evidently a lively and clever lad, I'd like to see you make a well reasoned, rather than mocking argument for your case. Work a little harder. Anyway what is ridiculous is this turning into a Pee Wee Hermanish "I'm rubber, you're glue" debate. We've both stated our views, I'm confident of the merits and reasoning of mine.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,725,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
You know learning how to drive vastly helps situations like these. I'm not buying a car with a backup camera ever. It would never help me.
You can make that claim and that is fine. I guarantee you I see more with my camera than you do looking over your shoulder backing up.

Oh and by the way, many of them are low light cameras. I would bet good money that I see better in the dark with my camera than you do.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:57 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Evidently.

Doing something about both is aces with me. But that both are not dealt with doesn't affect the merit of dealing with just one. But yeah, locking out drunks would be good. But that would probably be politically impossible; the anti dealing with drunks lobby is probably much stronger than the anti dealing with fender benders and dead kids lobby. Personally I think the cameras have their most use helping prevent fender benders.
I'm in complete agreement with your final point. I put backup cameras (2) on my vehicle just because the rear view is so lacking both from the view in the mirrors but also the rear window. I still walk around the car (just as easy to take a path around the back to the driver's door) and check because you never know.

I do see though, "it's for the children" being used so often as the reason for things that after a while, it means little other than the appearance of a money grab in one way or the other.

Since it will take so long to replace all the cars on the road that don't have backup cameras, I can't help but wonder how long it will take this measure to make a difference. Sure, any life saved is worth what it takes but then how do we justify doing more for one life than 10 or 100? Obviously not all solutions can be implemented but somewhere, someone is probably making a bundle on this. Saying it is for the children makes it rather untouchable or unquestionable. A sad state of affairs.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:00 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
I haven't appealed to the ridiculous
Sure, you have. The problem is you can only identify it when someone else is using the same argument.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:01 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,304 times
Quote:
And you discount the possibility of screwing up in the future, eh?
We might as well prepare for doomsday because it might happen as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You can make that claim and that is fine. I guarantee you I see more with my camera than you do looking over your shoulder backing up.

Oh and by the way, many of them are low light cameras. I would bet good money that I see better in the dark with my camera than you do.
That means nothing if at the end of the day that I can back up without hitting anything. You needed a rear camera yet I didn't and I still didn't hit anything.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:53 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just heard that the Government will be requiring backup cameras on all new cars by 2018.
I think it makes sense for safety but do we really need this. How much will it add to the sticker cost?
Is it just another thing that will erode a drivers skill or take some responsibility away from the driver so he will have more time for texting? Soon the cars will be driving themselves.
What do you think Do we need a Gov. mandate for back up cameras?
many people think this "regulations" come from "Big government trying to take over"

I bet anything that all this regulations come straight from the insurance companies.
Insurance companies are gonna be the biggest beneficiaries of having backup cameras on all cars.

Old 04-03-2014, 06:58 PM

1,136 posts, read 942,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
many people think this "regulations" come from "Big government trying to take over"

I bet anything that all this regulations come straight from the insurance companies.
Insurance companies are gonna be the biggest beneficiaries of having backup cameras on all cars.
You'd lose that bet because the regulation comes from the government.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

Insurance companies are usually pushing for automobile safety equipment and advances. It reduces the chances of them having to pay out for injuries and deaths, which are far, far more expensive than the cost of a car.

Not that there's anything wrong with that. It's a winning situation for all parties. Insurance companies win because they don't have to pay out. Drivers win because they don't get points on their record, have to pay a deductible (in the case of damaging their own vehicle) and/or get sued by the victims. Victims win because there are fewer of them.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:34 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownblues View Post
Sure it was. And you never got hurt from a toilet, but thousands of people did last year. What do you plan to do to address this horrifying problem?
When people start falling off toilets and hurting someone else who just happened to be nearby, then maybe this analogy will apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive