Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 03:02 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,212,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> How much will it add to the sticker cost?

A lot less than you think. The electronics is cheap already and getting cheaper. The only reason it seems to cost a lot now is because it is a serious profit generator.

My guess would be less than $100 once it is mandated for all cars.
Crap like this is for the people who refuse to turn around and LOOK behind them. You can buy these cameras for $60 at walmart, as a aftermarket device far cheaper than the automakers and NSA free since they are not wired internally to your car.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 PM

2,310 posts, read 6,822,896 times
I've only driven a car with the BU camera once... really I'm so busy looking at the side / rear mirrors that I don't have a 3rd pair of eyes to look at the BU camera screen. If it's really a 100 built in cost to new cars, fine.

Parents should teach kids to watch out for cars and don't play behind them .... When I was a kid, we know better than to step out into the street because we were told cars don't stop for people. Cars win, people die....SIMPLE. I guess kids are babied to death here in the US and people don't teach their kids about danger of cars.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:15 PM

966 posts, read 1,344,706 times
another toy to fix a problem that does not exist,

Old 03-31-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
Well said! What ever happened to turn around and LOOKing?

Old 03-31-2014, 03:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,090,187 times
We had this discussion on the forum several months ago. I'm all for it. A backup camera is only operational when backing up, so it's not a "distraction" while driving.

I've had several cars with very poor rear visibility, a backup camera is really the ONLY way to get by, short of having a passenger get out of the car and direct you.

Cost to install some aftermarket rear view cameras is less than $20. Yes, $20. That's nothing to pay for added security and a better chance of seeing some kid behind you.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:39 PM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
While I want my next vehicle to have back up camera, I don't want the government to issue a regulation "requiring" all vehicles to have them.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:43 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,420,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Phx Native View Post
http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/NRD/M...25579-0002.pdf

Backovers

http://www.nhtsa.gov/DOT/NHTSA/Vehic...eTechStudy.pdf

There is a problem.

However small or large that problem is, there is one. And NHTSA isn't just studying nothing. There is study and statistics behind the decision.

Most technology implemented has only lead to safer vehicles and less deaths.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest61021 View Post
Well said! What ever happened to turn around and LOOKing?
Whatever happened Model Ts in only black?

Some people don't look. Some people who look may not see everything. Sometimes it's dark, sometimes the Sun is in your eyes. A camera can adjust for these things better than we can, and it's not like you can't use both your turnaround and the camera depending on the situation or even in the same scenario.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
It's just one more toy to make the cost and price go up. It might be something that a city person would use but where I live it's worthless.

There was a time when you purchased a car you had to order a heater with defrost, ($400), Air conditioning (800$), A radio ($250), surround sound for the radio with Bose speakers ($1500), Carpet ($300), Power steering ($200), Power brakes ($200), Tinted windows ($250), Power widows ($300), Power seats ($600), Cruse control ($300), Automatic transmission ($2000), etc..

If new cars could be ordered like I did in the 70's a new car could be purchased half of what it's price is now.

Maybe they should just install every options they have and charge $60,000 for each car. That should make the masses happy.
A lot less driveways with kids playing in them in the city than in the suburbs and rural. Also less Lassies, pigs, and baby chickens.
Also,
Last I checked, A/C, radio, surround sound with Bose, carpet, P/S, Power brakes, tinted windows, power windows, power seats, cruise control, automatic transmission ALONG with ABS, electric steering, navigation, dual climate control, heated seats, BACKUP CAMERA and a bunch of other doohickeys are all standard on a lot of cars that are available for a lot less than $60,000. Actually several cars with all this available for less than $25,000.
Most people end up paying more than a car is worth anyways, by financing a new car over sticker price, high APR, and long terms.

But seriously if you want a car that doesn't have all those options, you can buy an old 70s, 80s, or 90s car without them, and spend less than 10,000 on restoration and paint including purchase price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> How much will it add to the sticker cost?

A lot less than you think. The electronics is cheap already and getting cheaper. The only reason it seems to cost a lot now is because it is a serious profit generator.

My guess would be less than $100 once it is mandated for all cars.
I agree here. Scale will bring down the price considerably.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:44 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,478,727 times
No reason for the government to mandate this.I know plenty of people that rely on their backup cameras and most of them cannot park worth a crap when they use it. I used to work in the insurance industry and you'd be surprised how many people rely on it and end up swinging the front and into another car or a house or a pole.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:46 PM

17,602 posts, read 17,635,928 times
It's not as simple as "turn around". Look at cars built in the early/mid 90s and further back. The rear windshield and trunk is much lower than today's cars. Today's cars have a belt line that rises towards the rear causing a reduction in rear visibility. Try this experiment with your daily driver. Sit in the vehicle. Have someone take something that's about 3 to 4 feet tall (like a baseball bat or a yard stick). Have them stand at your bumper with the object touching the ground then slowly walk away from the bumper with the object still touching the ground. When you see the top of the object, tell them to stop. Get out your vehicle and walk to the back to see how far it was before you could see the top of the object. This is about children walking or on bicycles. A large pick-up truck without a load in the bed will have a raised up bed making visibility virtually zero. Some cars have horrible rear visibility even if you turn around to look out the back window.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
It's not as simple as "turn around". Look at cars built in the early/mid 90s and further back. The rear windshield and trunk is much lower than today's cars. Today's cars have a belt line that rises towards the rear causing a reduction in rear visibility. Try this experiment with your daily driver. Sit in the vehicle. Have someone take something that's about 3 to 4 feet tall (like a baseball bat or a yard stick). Have them stand at your bumper with the object touching the ground then slowly walk away from the bumper with the object still touching the ground. When you see the top of the object, tell them to stop. Get out your vehicle and walk to the back to see how far it was before you could see the top of the object. This is about children walking or on bicycles. A large pick-up truck without a load in the bed will have a raised up bed making visibility virtually zero. Some cars have horrible rear visibility even if you turn around to look out the back window.
True, but then I'd never drive a new car, much less something that doesn't allow me to see my rear. I started driving in a day when things were much simpler than they are now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive