Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times

Advertisements

is a bulbless reflector light(lower left rear) that is only half there considered an inspection issue in NY? i got into a little fender bender when i was backing up and damaged the reflector light and the plastic bumper and the plastic bumper has a small tear where it meets the light housing.

Toyota says theyd have to look at the plastic bumper (theyre not sure if the entire bumper would have to replaced for that little tear but im sure theyd love the $$$ to do it)

ive put off getting this looked at because of my cancer treatments and i also developed agoraphobia unfortunately. inspection is in November.

pls dont hold this against me guys. i was tired and not feeling well and backed up perhaps a little too hard. sometimes the stress gets overwhelming.

now i use paratransit to get around so my car just sits there. so im minimizing my driving now
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 08:26 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
It's a reflector not an actual light housing with a bulb. I don't see it being an issue

Old 04-05-2014, 08:53 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,792,860 times
New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions

Inspection Program For Cars and Light Trucks

NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Since the reflector is on the lower bumper on your car, you should not have an issue as it is not a requirement in NYS. It is not part of the electrical system, and you do not have a cracked light housing which would cause a failure if not fixed.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Lights

All lighting must be of an approved type and inspected for operation, proper mounting, and broken or missing lenses. Side marker lamps, parking lamps, and additional flashing turning lamps mounted on the side of the vehicle are not inspected.

Headlamps (low and high beam)
Tail lamps
Stop lamps
Directional signals
Backup lights (1969 and newer)
License plate lights
Hazard warning/four-way flasher (1966 and newer)
Directional signal indicator

heres what NY DMV says. note the comment about broken or missing lenses. does my damage count as a broken or missing lens?

Old 04-05-2014, 10:04 AM

do you think the little tear in the plastic bumper can just be repaired by a good private mechanic? its right where it meets the light housing.

Old 04-05-2014, 10:14 AM

I think it could easily be repaired, and you can order a new reflector lens too, when you have the repair. It should not be expensive at all to get the reflector lens. I would drive over to Dale-Way on Tibbett, right above the diner, as the quality of work is excellent, and in terms of price, I find them to be reasonable, especially as they will fix a problem, if they can, as opposed to merely ordering new parts.

The reflector should not fail you as it is not an illuminable lens, and is separate from the tail lamp. However, a replacement is not going to be expensive. Just glancing online, I see replacement costs under $20 for the reflector lens.

City-Data FAQs

Old 04-05-2014, 10:16 AM

i remember Daleway thats where i had my old car repaired when a guy backed into me and damaged the grille and hood lock mechanism

Old 04-05-2014, 10:24 AM

I find them to be very fair, when not dealing with insurance, as was the case with my aunt's car that was damaged by the housekeeper who slid into it, owing to an icier than normal driveway. The trunk was dented by the SUV the housekeeper was driving, and the repair has been flawless. I think the repair was about $1200, much less than what the dealership's body shop wanted for the same repair.

City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive