Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 03:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,991,441 times

Advertisements

I absolutely love everything associated with the GT-R name. I've had the pleasure of being in R32s while hauling ass down the road, but not a R35. If I had 100K burning a whole in my pocket, I would be at the Nissan dealership the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 03:21 PM

7,103 posts, read 5,982,719 times
I'm not an impulse buyer, I'm weighing my options, and researching and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I really enjoyed the couple of test drives my local dealer allowed me in the GT-R. I am most certainly impressed. I can't think of another vehicle that even compares to it, except for maybe an AWD 911 Turbo. If this isn't going to be an everyday driver, and strictly a track car, then I'm also considering an Ariel Atom... Those little things are just badass. And they are around $20k less than the Black GT-R I looked at. So, I need to decide if the GT-R is comfortable enough to be a daily driver.

Old 04-08-2014, 03:51 PM

819 posts, read 1,408,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Do you know what the track fee is? I can do the research, it's no biggie, just thought u might know off the top of your head
Chin is pretty cheap at tracks they hold events at; typically in the $450/day range. Tracks that offer HPDE events directly possibly a little less since they'd already have their own insurance. Chin's real claim to fame is they're very good about assigning drivers to the appropriate groups and giving long open sessions without taking too many sign-ups per day. You get a lot more usable track time than other groups that pack too many people onto the track.

Quote:
I'm not an impulse buyer, I'm weighing my options, and researching and I appreciate everyone's feedback. I really enjoyed the couple of test drives my local dealer allowed me in the GT-R. I am most certainly impressed. I can't think of another vehicle that even compares to it, except for maybe an AWD 911 Turbo. If this isn't going to be an everyday driver, and strictly a track car, then I'm also considering an Ariel Atom... Those little things are just badass. And they are around $20k less than the Black GT-R I looked at. So, I need to decide if the GT-R is comfortable enough to be a daily driver.
I'm not a fan of the Atom for a few reasons. My first real track car was a Radical SR3, which, like the Atom, is a tube frame open top vehicle. The Radical has more bodywork and far less ground clearance, rear engine, but is actually similar in many ways. In any case, I've seen what happens when these kind of cars go into the wall and it's not usually good for the driver. The car I race now is a true carbon tub that my head barely pokes out of and it has a roll hoop. I've also seen people crash bad in them and walk away, which would not likely be the case in a tube frame open vehicle. I would never get in one if my driving skills were at the point where I was starting to push anywhere near the limits.

Second; the few times I've seen them at the track in the HPDE groups, several have had electrical issues.

Third; a real street car that doubles as the track toy is far more practical when not at the track. If you have a daily driver perhaps it doesn't matter. I have a daily driver but I don't hesitate to drive the Lambos or Nissan if the mood strikes, but that would not be the case if they had no roof. :-)

As far as comfort goes, I find the Nissan to be pretty reasonable, but I guess I'm used to driving some very uncomfortable cars, like my 3/4 ton Chevy, the Benz G55 that preceded the Nissan (rode like you're on a wood bench), etc. It doesn't feel much different to me than my wife's Audi Q7 to give you a more mainstream frame of reference. I LOVE the way the Nissan grips your sides; the side bolsters on the seat are very deep and you will not move. Of course if you're a stocky guy that could also be uncomfortable quite quickly; one of my friends is about 250 lb and he hates riding in the GT-R.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
Quote:
Do you know what the track fee is? I can do the research, it's no biggie, just thought u might know off the top of your head
Sorry I don't know the fees. I retired as an instructor 10 years ago so I am out of the loop.
I suggest you do to a performance driving school before you attempt Open track. You will learn more in just one day with an in car instructor than you will ever learn by trying to figure it out for your self.

Not all instructors are equal and sometimes it takes a session or two to find the right one. Once you do you will really start enjoying you car no matter what brand it happens to be.

NASA schools are a good place to get a start.

NASA :: South East Region

Last edited by PDD; 04-08-2014 at 04:51 PM..

Old 04-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spbbound View Post
Chin is pretty cheap at tracks they hold events at; typically in the $450/day range. Tracks that offer HPDE events directly possibly a little less since they'd already have their own insurance. Chin's real claim to fame is they're very good about assigning drivers to the appropriate groups and giving long open sessions without taking too many sign-ups per day. You get a lot more usable track time than other groups that pack too many people onto the track.

I'm not a fan of the Atom for a few reasons. My first real track car was a Radical SR3, which, like the Atom, is a tube frame open top vehicle. The Radical has more bodywork and far less ground clearance, rear engine, but is actually similar in many ways. In any case, I've seen what happens when these kind of cars go into the wall and it's not usually good for the driver. The car I race now is a true carbon tub that my head barely pokes out of and it has a roll hoop. I've also seen people crash bad in them and walk away, which would not likely be the case in a tube frame open vehicle. I would never get in one if my driving skills were at the point where I was starting to push anywhere near the limits.

Second; the few times I've seen them at the track in the HPDE groups, several have had electrical issues.

Third; a real street car that doubles as the track toy is far more practical when not at the track. If you have a daily driver perhaps it doesn't matter. I have a daily driver but I don't hesitate to drive the Lambos or Nissan if the mood strikes, but that would not be the case if they had no roof. :-)

As far as comfort goes, I find the Nissan to be pretty reasonable, but I guess I'm used to driving some very uncomfortable cars, like my 3/4 ton Chevy, the Benz G55 that preceded the Nissan (rode like you're on a wood bench), etc. It doesn't feel much different to me than my wife's Audi Q7 to give you a more mainstream frame of reference. I LOVE the way the Nissan grips your sides; the side bolsters on the seat are very deep and you will not move. Of course if you're a stocky guy that could also be uncomfortable quite quickly; one of my friends is about 250 lb and he hates riding in the GT-R.
Appreciate all the feedback and thank you, the Atom would just be a toy, I am in no way comparing it to the GT-R really, two separate beasts.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Sorry I don't know the fees. I retired as an instructor 10 years ago so I am out of the loop.
I suggest you do to a performance driving school before you attempt Open track. You will learn more in just one day with an in car instructor than you will ever learn by trying to figue it out for your self.

Not all instructors are equal and sometimes it takes a session or two to find the right one. Once you do you will really start enjoying you car no matter what brand it happens to be.

NASA schools are a good place to get a start.

NASA :: South East Region
Great suggestions thank you!

Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
Appreciate all the feedback and thank you, the Atom would just be a toy, I am in no way comparing it to the GT-R really, two separate beasts.
There's a couple guys that have the Atom locally, since I live in Dallas where it doesn't rain much, they actually do use those cars as daily drivers on occasion, LOL. Pretty funny seeing them in traffic.

Old 04-08-2014, 08:52 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
I cant wait to see the Infiniti 4 door derivative of the GT-R. Its been rumored for a long time but recently a concept car was developed. Suggestion is it looks like and will compete with Maserati 4 door sedan. I like the GT-R looks but the concept of the Infiniti version was better looking imho. I cant recall if they play to twin turbo the V8 engine or not in the Infiniti.

Ive had a lot of Infiniti's which have been incredibly reliable and give a lot of HP and some great safety features with the reliability. I like the looks and have for the past 5 years.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
There's a couple guys that have the Atom locally, since I live in Dallas where it doesn't rain much, they actually do use those cars as daily drivers on occasion, LOL. Pretty funny seeing them in traffic.
WTH? Really?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:48 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Quote:
WTH? Really?
Yup. Used to take them to the local meets at this hamburger place we go to.

Here's one of them:

F/S: 2011 Ariel Atom 3 300 - DFW Auto Club Forums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive