Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 04:22 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,591,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
That's the merge lane. Get out of it.
No that is the right lane, the main lane that most traffic should be in when not passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
They don't pull people over for doing it because they do it themselves
This is true, I have seen many cops turn without using a turn signal. And I'm sure there are way more serious things and unsolved crime that they could be working on instead of giving everybody a ticket for not using their turn signal. But I agree 100% that people need to use them all the time and I hate when people turn at the last minute and don't signal. I just don't believe its a top priority with so much serious things going on today.

Old 04-08-2014, 04:59 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
I've been think about becoming a state trooper and one of my biggest pet peeves are when people change lanes or turn without signaling, I mean it's so easy to turn on your signal and let people know you're coming over. I spoke with a former police officer and he said when he was a cop, if you turned or changed lanes without signaling, you were getting a ticket PERIOD. I agree with him...If there are any state troopers, highway patrol, or city cops who could answer this for me I would much appreciate it.
Good post; it always seemed to me that most of the near accidents I've seen in 40 years of driving have been from unsafe lane changes, not from going over the speed limit. However speeding tickets can be written in assembly-line fashion. Speeding tickets are simply the most lucrative form of traffic enforcement, so that's where the emphasis is for most departments.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
If people need to know which direction I'm driving, I will let them know. I absolutely don't understand why someone will get in an exit only or right turn only lane, then turn on their turn signal. Duh. I know which direction you are going, moron.
No you don't. You don't have any way at all to know whether they're turning right, or if they're just some idiot who misread the lane markers or signs and thinks they can go straight through the intersection in that lane. If I see someone in a right-turn only lane and their signal isn't on, the only thing I "know" for sure is that they're either too stupid to know how to operate a motor vehicle, or they don't understand what they're supposed to do in that lane - and either way, I'm giving them a wide berth, because I don't have any way to know what stupid thing they're going to do next.

Old 04-08-2014, 09:39 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
I religiously use my turn signals, I was just taught that way and it has been my habit all these years. I even use my signals when pulling through our complex or on a road with no one else on it. Not only does it let others know what you are intending on doing, it is also a courtesy to them as well.

Don

Old 04-08-2014, 09:47 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I religiously use my turn signals, I was just taught that way and it has been my habit all these years. I even use my signals when pulling through our complex or on a road with no one else on it. Not only does it let others know what you are intending on doing, it is also a courtesy to them as well.

Don
And if you do it EVERY time, even when you THINK there's no one else around (and that's not always the case), then it's a habit and you're not as likely to forget to do it when it's important to do so.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:59 PM

1,607 posts, read 1,945,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
No I'm saying they should have never started.
Well, that horse has long left the stable.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:37 PM

44,632 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Not signaling is like not wearing a seat belt law, the cops here won't pull you over and ticket you unless there is a serious violation or another good reason to do so.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:41 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times
I think from now on, I won't stop at stop signs when there's nobody around. Why bother? It's stupid. I'll just roll right through. Because I'll never make a mistake, you know? There's no possibility at all that anyone would ever be there and I wouldn't notice them, because I'm too smart and too good a driver. Stop signs are for morons, not superior drivers like me.

Red lights, too. Come to think of it, I'm done with them, too. Why just sit there like an idiot, when there's nobody coming? A guy like me has more important things to be doing, damn it.

And headlights! That's another thing. Why should I bother turning my headlights on if there aren't any other cars coming? I'm too smart to need headlights when there's nobody else around.

I'm tired of always driving in the right-hand lane, too. If there's nobody around, I think I'll just straddle the middle of the road. I'm too good a driver to stay on the right side all the time; if someone else is coming, I'll see 'em in plenty of time.

Yeah... good drivers like me don't need to follow all those dumb laws. What's the point? We're smart enough that we can drive any way we want to, any time we want.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:32 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
On Long Island, I've noticed more and more people changing lanes while approaching an intersection, even a red light, just to avoid being behind a truck or to be the first car when the light turns green. It achieves very little, and seems dangerous as well as rude. Isn't there a law that says no lane changes within so many feet of an intersection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive