Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 06:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times

Advertisements

Recalls:

a) Is there a brand that's NEVER had one....or which brands have had the fewest and least serious recalls? Anyone know of a list or where I could fine out. Thanks.

b) Does a recall change your thoughts about a brand or company? Example: Toyota's acceleration issue...no doubt a major deadly issue, or this latest GM issue...did they turn you off from the company, an entire line of cars, or just the car involved. OR did it not turn you off at all?

c) How much do you think car sales suffer/slump because of a major death related recall? Has Toyota completely bounced back? Will GM/Chevy suffer do to this news that officials KNEW of the ignition issue for YEARS and it wasn't fixed?

As for me:
a)
I would look at a car brand that's never had a recall (or major one) before another brand. Darn right.
b) It does. I still don't have Toyota in the esteem I did. It's no longer on my "I'd buy one in a heartbeat" category.
c) Friends and co-workers I've talked with would definitely think twice to buy from these brands now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 06:47 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,784,742 times
All cars will have some type of recall and many are just simple non safety issues.

It doesn't change my mind, see above answer.

You can think all you want, it wont do anything.

Vehicle Safety Recalls - Cars.com

Old 04-08-2014, 06:59 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
I don't mind a car company that has had recalls... what's important to me is how it was handled. Were they forced to issue a recall after years of problems and complaints? Or was the company proactive in identifying a fault, and deciding to fix it on their own?

A company that is willing to do the right thing is still worthy of my business, every company makes a mistake or has a product that isn't quite what it was supposed to be. It's how they deal with it that matters.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:16 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,255,215 times
The fact that a company has some recalls in its history wouldn't sway me either way. In most cases it's simply and acknowledgement by a manufacturer that a certain model has an issue that they want to take care of before it creates widespread problems. As someone else said, usually it's not something safety-related anyway.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:24 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Recalls themselves do not bug me at all.

In all honesty, I would be very happy if the brand I did business with worked hard to identify problems and issued prompt recalls to address them. I understand the complexity of automobile engineering and can see how sometimes things are not perfect.

What could color my opinion are when automakers get caught covering up issues, particularly safety issues. It doesn't surprise me, but doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy about the company either.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:32 AM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,510 times
Yes how they handle it IS major....
IMO Toyota and GM knew about the DEADLY safety issues mentioned above and did nothing until forced to. IMO that's criminal. That's why I'm curious about whether people would not buy that brand or just not those cars? Or none of it would bother them at all.

This link is to an article listing the 10 largest car recalls in history. Most are not for deadly issues.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-la...lls-in-history

If any one has a list of car companies that have NEVER had a recall -- or a major death-related -- recall that's what I'd like to see. For example IF Audi or VW or Honda, or Acura, Infiniti or Lexus has NEVER had a recall -- or ONLY had minor recalls -- then those are the brands I'd consider buying before others.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,086,470 times
I won't buy GM, but that has more to do with their subpar build quality (which in turn seems to go hand in hand with all their recalls.) Toyota on the other hand, has a long reputation of reliability. It's been tarnished a bit, but they're still viewed as some of the most reliable vehicles on the road. GM doesn't enjoy the same reputation because they've messed up too much.

I would consider buying the new C7 after a couple years despite the recalls for other models if no problems crop up, they seem to have really paid attention to detail with it, so I would hope it's been built to a higher standard than their other cars.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM

486 posts, read 831,925 times
I research crash and reliability statistics for the individual models I'm looking at buying.

Where are a lot of car that don't have recalls but that are unreliable and/or unsafe.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:12 AM

417 posts, read 867,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
Recalls:

a) Is there a brand that's NEVER had one....or which brands have had the fewest and least serious recalls? Anyone know of a list or where I could fine out. Thanks.

b) Does a recall change your thoughts about a brand or company? Example: Toyota's acceleration issue...no doubt a major deadly issue, or this latest GM issue...did they turn you off from the company, an entire line of cars, or just the car involved. OR did it not turn you off at all?

c) How much do you think car sales suffer/slump because of a major death related recall? Has Toyota completely bounced back? Will GM/Chevy suffer do to this news that officials KNEW of the ignition issue for YEARS and it wasn't fixed?

As for me:
a) I would look at a car brand that's never had a recall (or major one) before another brand. Darn right.
b) It does. I still don't have Toyota in the esteem I did. It's no longer on my "I'd buy one in a heartbeat" category.
c) Friends and co-workers I've talked with would definitely think twice to buy from these brands now.

a) The Bugatti Veyron has not had a recall, I highly recommend it but don't do it only for that one reason, its also very expensive.

b) It depends on the number of recalls and nature of the problems, there are plenty of resources on the internet of reliability by brand. My personal experience with a new 2003 Nissan I owned until it had 130,000 miles on it had me switch to GM and id never buy another Nissan again, too many issues and recalls on the Maxima.

c) I don't think recalls have as big of an impact on the bottom line than other things like the competiveness of the market and the health of the economy enabling people to buy new cars.

Old 04-08-2014, 12:00 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
In this case its quite different from ones we have seen. Just the e-mail trail is very damning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive