Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:39 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

So, I don't even have a truck, lol! I saw this crossover truck toolbox listed for free on Craigslist, that didn't have keys, and I ran over and nabbed it. I was thinking I'd look into getting keys for it, then selling it.

I actually got the thing in the trunk of my Toyota Corolla with a bunch of bungy cords lol!

It's an old Delta model that isn't made anymore. I was able to find a source for the keys, though and I ordered two.

So, today I try the keys in the locks, and they go in and turn, but the gull wing sections don't open.

I called the key guys and they told me it makes no sense that the key goes in and turns, but the doors don't open. They're going to talk to some service they use that helps people get things open or something, and get back to me. It's been a few hours, so I thought I'd post here.

I don't see any button to push or anything to get these bat wing sections open. Is there some trick to it that I need to know to get them to open up? Or do you think the mechanisms inside are rusted up or something?

Any clues or ideas would be great. The key guys say it's the right key. If I can't get this sucker open by tomorrow, I'm putting it back up on Craigslist for free myself lol! It's in my apartment right now and seriously in my way. I don't even have a balcony or a yard. This is the photo from the original Craigslist ad.

I wonder if this thing just keeps getting listed over and over on Craigslist lol!

"Free - Crossover Full Size Truck Toolbox with Keys. Just Figure Out How to Open It, And What A Score This Will Be!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:45 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
An end view would be a lot more helpful.

I have one of these, although I'm not sure it's the exact same model. Are you sure there's no button? Mine has a button that the key goes in, once it's unlocked you push it to pop it open.

By the way, I hope you're not counting on retiring from this deal. I see these sell at auctions all the time for five bucks or so. I think I paid a buck for mine.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
An end view would be a lot more helpful.

I have one of these, although I'm not sure it's the exact same model. Are you sure there's no button? Mine has a button that the key goes in, once it's unlocked you push it to pop it open.

By the way, I hope you're not counting on retiring from this deal. I see these sell at auctions all the time for five bucks or so. I think I paid a buck for mine.
LMAO!!! That's so hilarious. I had this wild notion that I would look for free things listed on Craigslist that I could turn around and sell. Grabbed it without doing any research. I think my new rule should be that even if it's free, if it doesn't fit in my closet, forget it!

I think I need to retire from the Craiglist business idea :-) I think this one cured me.

I'll try seeing about the button idea...

Old 04-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Where the key goes in, it is a button that goes in and out, but it didn't work as a button to open the toolbox. I tried different ways, with key, without key, no luck. Here are photos of the end:

Old 04-09-2014, 04:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
The lids can get stuck. All turning the key does is move a J hook shaped post away from a U shaped latch. In some cases the key tumbler is also a push button. It's probably just stuck. Spray some WD 40 in the lock.

Old 04-09-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
The lids can get stuck. All turning the key does is move a J hook shaped post away from a U shaped latch. In some cases the key tumbler is also a push button. It's probably just stuck. Spray some WD 40 in the lock.
Oh man, I'm out of WD-40. Do I waste any more money on this monstrosity? I guess it wouldn't be a waste to have WD-40 on hand.

Well, my dog has been oh so good all day watching me mess with this thing. I'll take her to the dog park and go buy some WD-40.

Old 04-09-2014, 05:01 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Oh man, I'm out of WD-40. Do I waste any more money on this monstrosity? I guess it wouldn't be a waste to have WD-40 on hand.
It's always good to have some WD40 and duct tape on hand.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
LOL! So true! I had a friend who was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, then a bush pilot in Alaska. He called duct tape "100 mile an hour tape." Said they could tape anything to the helicopter if there was no room inside. He said they regularly taped beer cases to it lol!

So, drum roll please......I got one of the doors open after saturating the locks with the WD-40. Then I dinked around with the lock mechanism and now it seems to be stuck in a way so I wouldn't be able to latch it closed lol! So, I just doused it some more and I'm letting it simmer until tomorrow, and will see what happens next.

I have a friend with a pickup truck. I think I'll see if she'd like to have it. At least now there are keys that work, and it might be worth it to her to take it to a locksmith to get good locks that work?

Anyway, will let you all know if I can get the other side open.

But, you were right, whoever said it. It appears you turn the lock, then take out the key, and push the button. Then, in a perfect world, the door opens.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I AGREE . . . a garage is not complete without WD40 and Duct Tape.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
After you conquer the locking mechanism, NoMoreSnow . . .

Hose scrub it down real good and then after it dries completely . . . a hefty coat of Tire Dressing will bring it back to "Good As New" condition.

Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive