Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 01:58 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,385,620 times

Advertisements

I've have issue with Consumer Reports and I subscribed for years.

Case in point... Consumer Reports absolutely panned the Suzuki Samurai... just about the lowest rating across the board.

My 1987 has well over 100,000 miles over some of the most rugged back country terrain plus I use it around the ranch to keep the tractors maintained.

In 24 years I not had a single issue... absolutely not one.

How is a vehicle that is so rugged, economical and dead reliable is deemed by CR to be the worst of the worst.

As an added bonus... my vehicle is worth substantially more than when I bought it in 1990.

I'm an engineer by training and profession.

Also have several Chevrolet work trucks in the fleet... a 1985 G20 Service Van and a 91 Silverado tow vehicle... no issues with either and they were bought new... both V8's and worked hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 02:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
Pay not attention to the fanboys. There are plenty of good domestics still going strong with over 200K miles, and many years on them. and No, they were'nt just lucky.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 5,021,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Start with a Toyota or Honda. If you really look at how they are put together, you will. "get it". Next, use FULL synthetic day one IF you are truly going to keep it. And by that I mean in excess of 120-150,000 miles/10 years.
Fully synthetic oil keeps the engine running far smoother. Not to use a fully synthetic oil these days is pretty stupid. It is about the only thing an owner can do to keep the car running smooth and last. The wear factor is reduced dramatically.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,140,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
Fully synthetic oil keeps the engine running far smoother. Not to use a fully synthetic oil these days is pretty stupid. It is about the only thing an owner can do to keep the car running smooth and last. The wear factor is reduced dramatically.
One could also say that it's pretty stupid to pay three times a much for an oil change when personal experience has indicated that 200K+ is attainable using store-brand crude with 6K service intervals.

But congratulations on being an obendiant consumer.

Old 04-14-2014, 03:59 PM

44,884 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Quote:
I just bought a new F150 (3.7L), expected that the oil required would be synthetic. It's not, regular old 5W-20 dino is recommended.

My 2003 (4.2L) requires semi-synthetic, as does the 2002 Taurus (3.0L).

Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 PM
miu

17,758 posts, read 40,010,815 times
I don't use synthetic oil in my Civic. Never saw a need to. *shrug*

Old 04-14-2014, 10:28 PM

Never used on my domestics... I do change the oil on the service truck every 2500 miles which works out to be about once a year... it's a 1985 and fully weighted down with tools and supplies... so far 160k miles since new.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 AM

4,717 posts, read 5,021,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
One could also say that it's pretty stupid to pay three times a much for an oil change when personal experience has indicated that 200K+ is attainable using store-brand crude with 6K service intervals.

But congratulations on being an obendiant consumer.
Fully synthetic oil is not three time the price where I live. All quality oil now IS fully synthetic. Supermarkets even sell their own brands of "fully synthetic" oil. Mineral oil is the cheap and nasty stuff. Understand the protection qualities of fully synthetic oil which you obviously do not understand. I did some work in a oil lab - not oil related. They tested engine wear, oils, etc. They would run engines 24/7 controlled by a computer to accelerate wear. I asked the “tribologists” "what was the best oil?". They replied “fully synthetic”. One bought a SAAB with 60,000 miles on the clock. He put in Mobil 1 and changed the filter @ 6,000 miles. He would test the oil in the lab every few months and ran the same oil for over 50,000. Great benefits were: thin in below zero temperatures so gets to the bearing very quick, no boiling & did not compress (they called this shearing) and a host of other benefits, keeping metal away from metal. They mentioned that a car in city bumper to bumper traffic has the water and oil pumps running too slow. This can cause mineral oil to boil in the hot spots of the engine. They emphasised that "fully synthetic" oils benefit engines in this sort of driving. I have used it ever since.

I did ask about using cheaper oil and changing it regularly. They said it is not worth it as an oil with poor protection when new is just that - poor at protection. Changing oil with inferior protection qualities every week does not make that oil better at protecting the engine.

The argument of mineral vs synthetic is well played out over the past 20 years. There is no argument for cheap mineral oils and never has been. Changing oil at 6,000 miles these days is just plain ridiculous and unnecessary.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:19 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,140,076 times
Quote:
Fully synthetic oil is not three time the price where I live. All quality oil now IS fully synthetic. Supermarkets even sell their own brands of "fully synthetic" oil. Mineral oil is the cheap and nasty stuff. Understand the protection qualities of fully synthetic oil which you obviously do not understand. I did some work in a oil lab - not oil related. They tested engine wear, oils, etc. They would run engines 24/7 controlled by a computer to accelerate wear. I asked the “tribologists” "what was the best oil?". They replied “fully synthetic”. One bought a SAAB with 60,000 miles on the clock. He put in Mobil 1 and changed the filter @ 6,000 miles. He would test the oil in the lab every few months and ran the same oil for over 50,000. Great benefits were: thin in below zero temperatures so gets to the bearing very quick, no boiling & did not compress (they called this shearing) and a host of other benefits, keeping metal away from metal. They mentioned that a car in city bumper to bumper traffic has the water and oil pumps running too slow. This can cause mineral oil to boil in the hot spots of the engine. They emphasised that "fully synthetic" oils benefit engines in this sort of driving. I have used it ever since.

I did ask about using cheaper oil and changing it regularly. They said it is not worth it as an oil with poor protection when new is just that - poor at protection. Changing oil with inferior protection qualities every week does not make that oil better at protecting the engine.

The argument of mineral vs synthetic is well played out over the past 20 years. There is no argument for cheap mineral oils and never has been. Changing oil at 6,000 miles these days is just plain ridiculous and unnecessary.
So you're saying my cars haven't run over 200,000 miles? Or that when I look at the shelf at Wal Mart and the cheapest Dino oil is $2.50 and the cheapest synthetic is $7.50 that the shelf tags are wrong?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I typically don't run my engine 24/7. I also don't drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic in the city. So buying a product because it works better under those conditions is overkill, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not disputing that fully-synthetic oil is a better product than crude-based motor oil. But what you don't seem to understand is that many - maybe most - don't need that kind of protection.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:06 AM

I live in a mild climate... never freezes, seldom hot... year round about 55 to 80...

Now, when friends were working pipeline construction in the Tundra... they had to deal with extremes and the wrong oil could make equipment unusable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive