Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 10:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
These Cobalt stories wouldn't deter me in any way from another GM purchase. Just as with all the other mfg problems over the years, it will be over with and forgotten in no time..
Most likely not by the families and those of the injured and killed by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 11:05 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
No denying that.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:42 AM

2,347 posts, read 3,334,280 times
This is GM we're talking about.

The rules and laws of the land don't apply to them.

They will be shielded from any and all liability.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I have always purchased GM vehicle, wouldn't consider any other brand. I currently own an '08 Cobalt purchased new in Dec 07. Great car, never had any problems with it.
Having been in fleet service my entire career I can tell you every manufacture goes through these same kinds of problems from time to time, even the expensive brands .
These Cobalt stories wouldn't deter me in any way from another GM purchase. Just as with all the other mfg problems over the years, it will be over with and forgotten in no time..
But how many of those other brands have a recorded history of putting out defective products for nearly ten years AFTER finding out something is defective and a solution to the problem is found? They did this with the intake gasket on the V6 engine and they did this with the ignition switch. I can forgive a defective part because it usually comes from an outside parts supplier. I can't forgive them continuing to install the known defective part while a solution part is available in the interest of saving money while knowingly sacrificing quality.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
GM management rewards the cost cutters no matter the future consequences. Despite this I continue to buy 100K+ big GM cars and run them for another 100k into their rusty fate. All the rest of the manufacturers do the same. That is the industry business model.

If I could afford to pay cash I might buy a GM car only 3 years old. I do not buy new cars because they are not worth the money. Let someone else take the depreciation.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:53 AM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
GM management rewards the cost cutters no matter the future consequences. Despite this I continue to buy 100K+ big GM cars and run them for another 100k into their rusty fate. All the rest of the manufacturers do the same. That is the industry business model.

If I could afford to pay cash I might buy a GM car only 3 years old. I do not buy new cars because they are not worth the money. Let someone else take the depreciation.
Please share when other car companies did this where they knew of a deadly defect and sat on their thumbs for 10+ years. Toyota didn't take 10 years to fix the deadly problem they made (I'm not a Toyota fanboi either) If they followed GM's business plan, they'd be bankrupt, and still denying a problem even exists.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:06 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,737,358 times
And to think the taxpayers bailed out this failing company.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,270,240 times
Does anyone else find it interesting that the NHTSA didn't come forth with their findings until after the government sold the last of its GM stock?

Old 04-16-2014, 10:32 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
...and just what would be the % of those people compared to the entire population of the car buying world? Ya got a nothing burger....

Old 04-16-2014, 10:36 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,641,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
But how many of those other brands have a recorded history of putting out defective products for nearly ten years AFTER finding out something is defective and a solution to the problem is found? They did this with the intake gasket on the V6 engine and they did this with the ignition switch. I can forgive a defective part because it usually comes from an outside parts supplier. I can't forgive them continuing to install the known defective part while a solution part is available in the interest of saving money while knowingly sacrificing quality.
Every mfg is the same and operate in the same manner. Nothing unique about GM, they just happen to be today's headlines. Tomorrow it will be another company. You apparently haven't lived in the real world very long..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive