Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:48 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,572,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Well many here know that back in December of '12, I won a brand new '12 Honda Civic LX 4dr sedan.

Thanks!
Yeah! I remember you. I am still jealous and hating on you! So, I have nothing to say to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 06:59 PM

4,665 posts, read 3,859,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
A car enthusiast's magazine is the LAST place you'd go for advice on a car, unless you're the kind of guy who spends his time fantasizing about being a Real Race Car Driver.

On the bright side, since these Real Race Car fantasizers enjoy pain, maybe they can hire themselves out as tokens to be beaten up by angry social activists. There could be a good business opportunity there.
What?
Using a quote from Car and Driver makes me one who fantasizes about being a Real Race Car Driver? That's a bit of a stretch.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:24 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Well in a week or so, I am planning on doing some test driving. I have already received several price quotes on some of these.

I have been quoted:

$20,600 for a brand new '14 Accord LX
$24,900 for a brand new '14 Impala LS
$29,000 for a brand new '14 Avalon XLE
$32,100 for a brand new '14 Lacrosse (base)

Still waiting on some quotes for a '14 Taurus, '14 Fusion, '14 Camry and '14 Passat. I think I am wanting to go with something under $25K however. I also want to price a '14 Buick Verano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Another perk for the 2014 Avalon Hybrid is that regular fuel (87 octane) is fine; that $3.27/gallon price in & around Knoxville certainly beats the stuffing out of the current $4.15 per gallon price out here in LA.
Yeah, I would LOVE to have a new Avalon, especially a hybrid, but even with my large down payment/trade in, I think the payment would be higher than what I wanted. I may could swing a base XLE non-hybrid. I have been quoted one of those around $29,000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannen View Post
I would definitely upgrade, Honda isn't what it used to be and most manufactures have caught up and passed them. Plus, their customer service is horrible.
Yeah, I thought why not get something I really want. Now I don't want to write Honda completely off, because I love the '14 Accord, it seems like a much more substantial car than the '12 Civic. I guess I am lucky with the dealer where I won my car... they roll out the red carpet for me, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Yeah! I remember you. I am still jealous and hating on you! So, I have nothing to say to you!
LOL! Sorry!

Last edited by Tennesseestorm; 04-15-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,318 times
I own both a 2012 Civic LX and a 2014 Accord EX-L. Although I like to toss the Civic around town and I like the gas mileage and the ease of parallel parking, the ride quality is way too firm. The streets where I live are barely maintained, which doesn't help matters at all.

I really like the Accord. The ride is still firm, but in a much more pleasant, less-jarring way. The steering feels better. The engine has a nicer sound to it. The cabin is much swankier and I love all the extra bells and whistles. It's a much more "adult" car.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:01 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,494,654 times
14 Camrys might drop in price a lil more.. personally, Id only go with the hybrid version of the Camry or Avalon. Real.world 40 mpg is a big difference vs 25_ 28mpg for only a 2k -2.5k premium.

2015 Toyota Camry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Well in a week or so, I am planning on doing some test driving. I have already received several price quotes on some of these.

I have been quoted:

$20,600 for a brand new '14 Accord LX
$24,900 for a brand new '14 Impala LS
$29,000 for a brand new '14 Avalon XLE
$32,100 for a brand new '14 Lacrosse (base)

Still waiting on some quotes for a '14 Taurus, '14 Fusion, '14 Camry and '14 Passat. I think I am wanting to go with something under $25K however. I also want to price a '14 Buick Verano.

Yeah, I would LOVE to have a new Avalon, especially a hybrid, but even with my large down payment/trade in, I think the payment would be higher than what I wanted. I may could swing a base XLE non-hybrid. I have been quoted one of those around $29,000.

Yeah, I thought why not get something I really want. Now I don't want to write Honda completely off, because I love the '14 Accord, it seems like a much more substantial car than the '12 Civic. I guess I am lucky with the dealer where I won my car... they roll out the red carpet for me, lol.

LOL! Sorry!

Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
I own both a 2012 Civic LX and a 2014 Accord EX-L. Although I like to toss the Civic around town and I like the gas mileage and the ease of parallel parking, the ride quality is way too firm. The streets where I live are barely maintained, which doesn't help matters at all.

I really like the Accord. The ride is still firm, but in a much more pleasant, less-jarring way. The steering feels better. The engine has a nicer sound to it. The cabin is much swankier and I love all the extra bells and whistles. It's a much more "adult" car.

lol, well I am glad someone finally agrees with me, LOL. Yeah, it is just too firm for me as well. When I was only driving around town on the weekends, it wasn't bad and our city actually does a good job on the roads... most are smooth. However since I sold my Lincoln I have been driving the Civic to work daily and it is 75% freeway - which is also smooth, but at 75-80 mph speeds, it really picks up every bump you can think of. Way too jumpy and since have had the shingles, this car has about killed me!! I am driving my S-Class on the weekends, no pain at all... it is like riding a cloud. I am just not comfortable driving it that far to work yet until I know it is reliable.

Yeah, I think I would be much happier with the Accord, but I will probably have to go with an LX model. I wonder if it rides softer than the EX? I will need to try both. Someone said the Camry may be even softer than the Accord (with the exception of the sporty SE). I am going to try a Camry LE and XLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
14 Camrys might drop in price a lil more.. personally, Id only go with the hybrid version of the Camry or Avalon. Real.world 40 mpg is a big difference vs 25_ 28mpg for only a 2k -2.5k premium.

2015 Toyota Camry
Yeah, I would love to spring for a hybrid and after seeing the '15 Camry, I think I will stick with the 2014.5 model. I am not a fan of that huge lower grill.

I also want to try the '14 Buick Verano... it is a small car, but I read it has a soft and comfortable ride.

Thanks all!

Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM

861 posts, read 1,335,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
It's hard to believe you're getting 50 mpg highway with a regular civic when epa highway estimate is 39. Maybe on a long flat road trip with the wind on your back. 50 mpg is entering Prius territory. The "unofficial MPG estimates from vehicle owners" on the epa website avg is 33.6 combined.

Compare Side-by-Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
I can get over 100 mpg too in a Viper while coasting downhill. It means nothing. MPG average for a whole tank at least or its not worth verbalizing.

54.7 mpg after 135 miles.

47.8 mpg after 400 miles.

with the a/c running all day.

can a viper do that?

Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM

486 posts, read 831,972 times
If you want a town car like ride you need a full sized truck or mid/full sized truck based suv.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 PM

Yeah, I don't think I will get that Town Car ride again, but I will try one of those trucks. I actually drove car #1 today... a 2014 Nissan Altima SV and wow, that car is smooth. The ride is supple and the seats are amazing!

Well here is more on that - I had a not so pleasant experience with my nearest Nissan dealer... I was only planning on stopping by for a quick look, but naturally the salesman snagged me and I actually ended up driving this car and love it. It rides so smooth! It is a 2014 Nissan Altima SV and it is loaded with features. It has XM radio, mood lighting, puddle lights, lighted kick plates, auto climate control AC, etc. It also has zero-gravity seats and it feels like you are not even setting down, very comfortable! The best part is that it is rated almost as good on fuel mileage as my Civic! Strange thing is though they quoted me a price that is $1600 more than they are showing on their website for the exact same car. Hmm. I think I will email and ask if this price is available. I can still get an Accord LX or Camry LE cheaper, but they do not have some of the features this car has. I am going to drive an Accord, Camry, Impala and Fusion here soon, so I can narrow it down more. If I want to go with Altima, I am going to shop around for the best price if I want to get this car. The price I got I am sure isn't the best deal I can get.

You know, they practically wanting me to buy the car on the spot. One (salesman) came out and said how their specials change from month to month and it may be more $ next month. He asked what other cars I was interested in and I said Accord, Camry, Fusion, etc. He said that the Accords were hard to get now and they were even having to go get them elsewhere (they sell Hondas too), that is a lie, because I have been eyeing a white one on that lot for weeks. They were just too pushy. He said they would give me full KBB trade in for my car, which is around $15K. He said my car was super nice and they wanted my trade and someone would pay top $ for my car. I am sure they would give me $15K and put $19K in the window when they went to resell!

He quoted me $23,500 for the car and said they would give me $15,000 trade-in, leaving the balance around $9500 - I guess that other $1K was taxes? Then I get home, look up the car on their website and it says internet price special, $21,995. I was like what in the heck? lol.

Well we have three other very local Nissan dealers, I will try those before doing anything. I guess I had DUMMY written across my forehead. lol.

Old 04-19-2014, 07:44 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,572,949 times
I think many Nissans used the expensive gas. Something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive