Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 02:12 AM

861 posts, read 1,335,816 times

Advertisements

Be careful, Altima suffers from poor quality and reliability scores.

2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 Sedan Ratings, Prices, Trims, Summary | J.D. Power
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/29/au...y-ratings.html

Purchase through this free service and you will get the lowest price: https://amexnetwork.truecar.com

I got my Civic for $17k when no dealer would go below $18k. Altima SV shows $20.8k here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:43 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Thanks for that info.

I think this Nissan uses regular gas.

On that "JD" report - I wonder what they mean my "quality"? As far as the interior, this Altima was well assembled, with great fit-n-finish, everything looked like high quality materials.

I am going to try a Camry and Accord out next week.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:02 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Toyota Avalon will be your best choice

Old 04-21-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
Toyota Avalon will be your best choice
I think it would be too, but even with my healthy down payment, I think I would be pushing to the limit on the payments.

The lowest price Avalon I can find is around $30K, for a base XLE. I have found some loaded Camry XLE's for around $27K.

I went ahead and "priced" my Civic to my boss at work for $16,000. That is right at KBB book value, but someone told me that due to the ultra low miles and the show-room new condition of the car that I could probably get $17,000 for it, but I don't know, I think you can probably get a '14 Civic for what, $19K?

Old 04-22-2014, 12:27 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
Since the Camry and the Avalon are both built on the same frame, you can indeed snag an XLE which is loaded to begin with and still save several grand if the Avalon is too rich for your budget.

You'd be very remiss not to check out the Hyundai Genesis as well; it's a phenomenal car for the price with more interior room than an Avalon or comparable sedans from Cadillac, BMW or MB, so check out the reviews @ Edmunds, KBB.com or elsewhere and you're bound to be impressed, starting with the ridiculously generous amount of interior room, which trounces a ton of $50K cars out there.

$25K-$30K will get you a nice used one with under 30,000 miles on it, and the V-6 uses regular gas as opposed to many of its competitors; I should have mentioned it a lot sooner.

Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
I think it would be too, but even with my healthy down payment, I think I would be pushing to the limit on the payments.

The lowest price Avalon I can find is around $30K, for a base XLE. I have found some loaded Camry XLE's for around $27K.

I went ahead and "priced" my Civic to my boss at work for $16,000. That is right at KBB book value, but someone told me that due to the ultra low miles and the show-room new condition of the car that I could probably get $17,000 for it, but I don't know, I think you can probably get a '14 Civic for what, $19K?
My ex wife paid 42k for hers,special order and had it shipped from long beach.
Not only is that car fast,it is the smoothest riding car I've ever been in. Toyota did a good job in 2013 of separating the V6 Camry from the Avalon

Old 04-22-2014, 12:39 PM

134 posts, read 471,960 times
Quote:
Do base XLEs come with Nav on Avalon?

Old 04-22-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Since the Camry and the Avalon are both built on the same frame, you can indeed snag an XLE which is loaded to begin with and still save several grand if the Avalon is too rich for your budget.

You'd be very remiss not to check out the Hyundai Genesis as well; it's a phenomenal car for the price with more interior room than an Avalon or comparable sedans from Cadillac, BMW or MB, so check out the reviews @ Edmunds, KBB.com or elsewhere and you're bound to be impressed, starting with the ridiculously generous amount of interior room, which trounces a ton of $50K cars out there.

$25K-$30K will get you a nice used one with under 30,000 miles on it, and the V-6 uses regular gas as opposed to many of its competitors; I should have mentioned it a lot sooner.
Thanks - good info. I love the '15 Genesis that is coming out, but I am sure no discounts there, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
My ex wife paid 42k for hers,special order and had it shipped from long beach.
Not only is that car fast,it is the smoothest riding car I've ever been in. Toyota did a good job in 2013 of separating the V6 Camry from the Avalon
Wow, yeah I think around here, I can get a top of the line Limited trim Avalon for around $42K, but even with a $15K trade in, that is still way too rich for this poor boy, lol. My cousin and his wife both have 2014 Avalons. He has the Limited and she has an XLE Touring hybrid. He really boasts how great his car rides and handles. I am glad they can afford them, because I cant. lol.

Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeGuy View Post
Do base XLEs come with Nav on Avalon?
No they sure don't, at least not in this area. It may vary from region to region. Around here, even the Avalon XLE Premium does not have standard navigation or even XM radio, but it is an option on this trim level. It is not even an option on the base XLE, nor is XM radio, which is strange for Toyotas largest premium car. You can even get XM radio on lower trim line American cars.

Another strange thing is that Toyotas website shows that XM radio is optional on the Camry LE, but I have yet to find one on a lot so equipped, nor is there a selection for it when you do the "build your own", but in the brochure, it shows it is optional.

I know for a fact that Honda does not offer XM radio on the LX Accord, even as an option. They do not even offer it on the EX with cloth. You have to get the EX-L (leather interior) Accord to even get XM radio.

I saw a strange new '14 Accord on one of the local dealer lots the other day... it was an LX with leather interior! It was the first I has seen with leather. Closer look at the window sticker revealed that is was apparently a "dealer add-on" option to the tune of $1500.00. I just think for that, I would just get an EX-L and get the other goodies that come on it. I am not even a fan of leather interior anyway.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
I goofed again; it is the Lexus ES300 with which the Avalon shares its platform and not the Camry.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:43 PM

134 posts, read 471,960 times
Quote:
No they sure don't, at least not in this area. It may vary from region to region. Around here, even the Avalon XLE Premium does not have standard navigation or even XM radio, but it is an option on this trim level. It is not even an option on the base XLE, nor is XM radio, which is strange for Toyotas largest premium car. You can even get XM radio on lower trim line American cars.
That is an interesting move by Toyota, I saw an XLE near me for $26.5k, I was wondering how it would compare to a Camry V6 that cost $26.5k. I would imagine a V6 Camry priced out at $26.5 would have Navigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive