Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 06:07 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Like gloves?
If it was only gloves, I'd still have plenty of room. It's kleenex, 1st aid kit, flashlight, and assorted other stuff I cram in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I got into a discussion with some buddies, the talk got around to where your car registration/insurance documents are kept. Personally I keep my papers in my wallet next to my license. My reasoning: In these days of identity theft, if (God forbid) your car is stolen or vandalized, the thief has your name/address/driver license number and insurance policy number. I suggested that ppl should keep that info in their wallet, NOT in the car. Also, in the event that you're stopped by law enforcement, you'll need to get your wallet (which contains your license) out anyway, so why not just keep your registration and insurance with it. Logical?
Great question, ItsRick . . .

About five years ago, after learning about a friend's "grief" directly related to a vehicle theft and the papers located in the locked glove compartment, I decided to change my ways.

I now keep Insurance and Registration right next to my Driver's License in my wallet.

Leaving too much information in a glove compartment, locked or unlocked, is far too risky nowadays.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
I just looked at my vehicle registration (AZ) and insurance card and they state "must be carried in Vehicle at all times".

So if you carried it in your possession (wallet) then you'd need to make a copy for everyone who drives that vehicle, spouse, child, friend, etal to carry with them also.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
What is registration?
We don't have paperwork for that.
Just a sticker.

Insurance card is in the glove box of each car.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:42 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
What is registration?
We don't have paperwork for that.
Just a sticker.

Insurance card is in the glove box of each car.
Some states call it an owner's card.

MD's has vehicle make, model and year, class of vehicle, address, license plate number as well as the sticker number, the VIN on it plus a couple other things. If you get stopped and don't have it you get cited for "failure to produce registration".

Old 04-18-2014, 07:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,952,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Great question, ItsRick . . .

About five years ago, after learning about a friend's "grief" directly related to a vehicle theft and the papers located in the locked glove compartment, I decided to change my ways.

I now keep Insurance and Registration right next to my Driver's License in my wallet.

Leaving too much information in a glove compartment, locked or unlocked, is far too risky nowadays.
If someone steals your car, the registration and insurance information inside the car are the least of your problems.

In 5 minutes they can find out who the owner is, their address, their home phone number, where the car was last serviced, any loan information on the car etc.

Having to get out of the car to show your registration and insurance information just creates a hazard for you, something that needn't happen. The safest place if you are stopped by a police officer is inside your car, not going through all the rigmarole to explain why you need to get out of the car, then stand close to traffic where any fool that drives a little to close can run over you etc. Now you are outside the car where anyone who decides to do so can throw whatever they want at you or the police, it happens.

Having the registration and insurance documents in your car isn't going to make your life one bit more difficult if it gets stolen.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Ashtray, which has no other useful function. Otherwise, glove compartment, but I guess I'm showing my age if I still think cars have ashtrays and glove compartments.

If I keep them on my person, nobody else can drive my car, including family members.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
I got into a discussion with some buddies, the talk got around to where your car registration/insurance documents are kept. Personally I keep my papers in my wallet next to my license. My reasoning: In these days of identity theft, if (God forbid) your car is stolen or vandalized, the thief has your name/address/driver license number and insurance policy number. I suggested that ppl should keep that info in their wallet, NOT in the car. Also, in the event that you're stopped by law enforcement, you'll need to get your wallet (which contains your license) out anyway, so why not just keep your registration and insurance with it. Logical?
I keep a copy of insurance in wallet and glove compartment.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,865,954 times
I read something (or heard it somewhere) that leaving the information in the car also opens you to burglary since valets and parking attendants will know where you live. I keep mine in my vehicle just because it's easier, but I take it out if I plan to use a valet or garage. I rarely get pulled over (twice in my lifetime) so I probably should check to make sure it's still in there. ;-)

Old 04-19-2014, 08:51 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I keep them in each of our cars. In fact, there are many years worth of documentation in one of the cars!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive