U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM

861 posts, read 1,090,878 times

Advertisements

I've had a few.....

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 10:23 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,193,786 times
Yes

Old 04-18-2014, 10:28 PM

5,996 posts, read 15,448,092 times
I've only had one where I can honestly say an inch or two to the left would have probably killed me. I was 19 (near 28 now) and driving with my buddy and for reasons I can't explain (because I generally drove safely even then) I thought it was a good idea to drive 120mph+ in my 1995 300ZX in light traffic. As I entered a highway tunnel, a car suddenly switched into my lane without signalling and I swerved to avoid it which when you're going that fast (and that inexperienced) means that I'm suddenly doing multiple 360's throughout this tunnel, the first of which grazed the wall of that tunnel enough to pull most of the paint from the rear bumper. I stopped facing the wrong way with my buddy yelling holy **** and traffic coming to a crawl. I booked the hell out of there and when I surveyed the damage I knew a bit more impact with that wall combined with that kind of speed and the cars in that tunnel would have likely spelled certain doom for me. I felt stupid for a good while.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:22 PM

1,008 posts, read 1,624,868 times
Yup. In July 1988 I bought a 71 Grabber Blue/White Tu-tone 4dr Maverick which I still own. I was visiting a friend in Burkburnett (12 miles north of Wichita Falls) and was coming home around 9pm one Saturday not long after I bought the car. Back then I-44 was not nearly as lit up as it is now and it was a totally dark moonless night. Even though the speed limit then was still 55, I was feeling comfortable enough that I was going around 65 or so. About a mile ahead of me was another car and that's it. We were tooling along when the car in front of me suddenly swerved into the left lane and a saw a quick flash of light. In my mind ( I still remember it vividly) I thought there was a beer bottle in the lane. So I eased on over with no rush. I had just hit the left lane when I passed "it". "It" was a black 1970's Camaro parked in the right lane with no lights visible, not even the dome lamp, with both doors open and four or five teenagers standing around it. It was parked as square in the lane as if in a parking lot! I know now the "flash" was the reflection of the front's car's headlights on the taillights of the Camaro. I have no doubt what so ever that if that other car had not been in front of me, I would have plowed straight into the Camaro at 65 or so and would not be here today! I still shudder when I think that only a mile and less than 60 seconds (plus the pure luck that there was someone in front of me) kept me from dying that night. That's the closest I've ever been to dying in a car.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:15 AM

211 posts, read 267,134 times
My first time driving to New York City, I was just behind and to the right of a car that I was trying to pass when I saw its right rear wheel wobbling. It made me nervous and I backed off a bit. Less than 5 seconds later the tire blew out and the car did a perfect 90 degree spin, cut across 3 lanes and smashed head-on into the wall under a bridge. Had I not slowed down I would've been right beside the car and it would've t-boned me on the driver's side at around 60 mph. Ever since I always drive for myself and the half-dozen idiots driving around me and no more close shaves in the 16 years since

Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 AM

12,581 posts, read 14,712,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I've had a few.....

Yeah I brought an out of warranty Mercedes to the stealership for a repair......

Old 04-19-2014, 08:28 AM

2,600 posts, read 7,198,622 times
Yuuuuuuuup

Old 04-19-2014, 08:29 AM

12,581 posts, read 14,712,020 times
Also out joyriding a Ferrari owned by a mobster, spun the car after entering a corner too fast....no damage but had I wrecked it, I might have had trouble swimming in my new concrete shoes!

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 AM

6,545 posts, read 4,560,235 times
My dad and I were out making deliveries on day on a back road in Georgia, we came to a stop sign, and had to cross over a major highway 4-lane. We looked both ways and dad pulled out, I look up to see a one ton van about 50 feet from his window, I screamed, he hit the brakes, and the guy in the van jerked left. Well I don't know how but the guy driving the van had it up on two wheels, landed it and never slowed down. We estimate he was doing around 80-100 mph and I'm sure he had to clean up after that experience. I know I had to.... I know it's cliche' but my life flashed before my eyes.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:04 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,778,490 times
When we were driving down to FL for a little vacation, it was about 2 in the morning, and I saw headlights coming toward us. I was like, "Dad, are those headlights?" He was like, "No, someone just doesn't have covers on their tail lights." Then I said, "Dad, it's getting closer."

Lo and behold, it was a drunk driver. We were in the far left lane, so my dad got extremely close to the median to avoid getting hid. He clipped a few cars behind us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive