Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

734 posts, read 1,082,189 times

Advertisements

If we are basing this on the looks of the car, I would choose the Camry. I don't know why the folks over at Honda keep changing the body style. The Accord looks like every other generic sedan that is on the road right now. The Civics aren't cute anymore, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM

865 posts, read 2,161,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
If we are basing this on the looks of the car, I would choose the Camry. I don't know why the folks over at Honda keep changing the body style. The Accord looks like every other generic sedan that is on the road right now. The Civics aren't cute anymore, either.
The Accord was really something special up to about the 7th generation. The 8th Generation really didn't stand out and the 9th generation is no different ... doesn't even have double wishbone suspension any more.

The Accord had a GREAT suspension design, relatively sporty. Camry was a reliable appliance that you can drive for 300000 miles reliably.

The Camry is still a reliable appliance. The Accord is pretty much the same now.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:40 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Fleet sales and cheaper prices through rebates boost Camry over Accord. Neither make Camry a better car than Accord.

That said, even though they compete in the same market segment I think they both attract a different driver. As was said earlier, the Accord has a definitely more sporty feel to the ride and drive dynamics than Camry.

My wife had a 2008 Accord, which was fun to drive. The rest of the car seemed a little cheap to me, but not as much as a similar year Camry.

I personally would not touch a Camry for the ride/drive alone. I could drive an Accord, but it would not be my first choice either. The Optima or Fusion IMO are much nicer, more complete vehicles these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I agree with this. I've had two Camrys. Both were very reliable as far as their components are concerned. But both also rode really loud and a little but rough. I've had a couple of co-workers with Accords and the ride was much more pleasant.

I'll probably stick with Camry due to price and the fact that the Accord's center control console is a colossal mess of buttons.
You had the prior gen Accord dash. Here is the current (I want to say this is the EX center console). More buttons would in lower trims without the touchscreen.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:59 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
The Accord was really something special up to about the 7th generation. The 8th Generation really didn't stand out and the 9th generation is no different ... doesn't even have double wishbone suspension any more.

The Accord had a GREAT suspension design, relatively sporty. Camry was a reliable appliance that you can drive for 300000 miles reliably.

The Camry is still a reliable appliance. The Accord is pretty much the same now.
No biggie. Macpherson struts have been pretty much worked out these days. Mazda dropped the double wishbone on the new 6 as well. It's really a question of good enough. On the regular M3, it's strut front multi-rink rear. It's good enough for an M3. On the club racer, they ditched the setup and went wishbone.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:11 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,564,559 times
Camrys are seen as cheaper than Accords. I don't think they really are, both are super reliable, but Honda has that stigma of costing extra.

When I lived in Southwest Houston which is heavily Indian/Pakistani, every parking lot was at LEAST 50-60% Camrys! My indian relatives have 4 drivers and 3 camrys in their driveway. It's all they will buy. No corolla, no rav4, no sienna minivan. They buy a used camry and drive it until it falls apart.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,497,096 times
Forget the MSRP pricing of the cars, what matters also is the deals. You can get a better deal at a Toyota dealership than a Honda one. Plus Toyota offers more incentives, better financing, lease deals etc.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:41 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
Interestingly Accord is fourth in sales so far this year. Between it and the Camry are the new Altima and Fusion.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:03 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,902,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Wrong type of car. In Japanese cars and modern American cars, the purpose of suspension is to control the body movement of the car. It's not a 1950s Amero Barge where you're isolated from everything except the gentle bobbing of the car up and down for the next 500 feet after it goes over a bump on the freeway. Older Accords probably had worn out shocks and thus behaved like an Amero Barge, although not nearly as bad. Camry has always been horrible underdamped, which does make it comfortable if you like that driving on the high seas feeling.
As a driver/passenger, I felt less of the road in a Hyundai ('09/'10) than the newer Accords. So, if there are degrees to the seasickness, the Hyundai is lesser. At least the make/model year I was privy to.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Peeps feel comfortable driving around in an appliance.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:31 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
The Detroit Three have been irrelevant here in California as it relates to passenger car sales for well over 25 years for not taking the Japanese seriously four decades ago; they've been paying the price ever since--heavens knows it's cost them untold trillions of $$$ in revenue.

Even back when Ford breathlessly touted the Taurus as the best-selling car in the nation for five straight years IIRC, the Accord actually walloped the Taurus annually back then in retail sales, much as it and the Camry continue to do to Detroit's products these days.

Except for the Prius, the best-selling car in California in 2012 and 2013, the rest of the ten best-selling cars in California are all manufactured stateside, except for the BMW 3-series, the 10th best-selling car in the state last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive