Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:44 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,221,611 times

Advertisements

Only referring to interstates that have both spaces in center median and to the right of the road for police vehicles. Was wondering if anyone has noticed something similar: I do quite a bit of interstate driving and have noticed that the placement of police cars performing speed detection seem to cycle between the center median and the outside (right) of the road. Right now, placement has been overwhelmingly in the center median for what feels like a couple years at this point. However years back, I recall the opposite to be true, where there was very little median placement and mostly right of the road placement. My thoughts are that they are trying to train speeders where to look for them and then switch it up randomly to catch people off guard. Let some years go buy then cycle over to placement predominantly on the other side of the road. Anyone notice this in their area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 10:12 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Hmmm.....seems like a lot of time and effort spent to train the monkies, when you'd be bagging just as many speeders no matter where you place the cruiser. On the 401 in Ontario, I find the OPP like to sit in the median right at an overpass. There is usually a gravel u-turn in the median there for emergency vehicles to turn around. This way, I think they can get people going either direction.

One thing I've noticed some of the OPP doing, is actually parking in a high point of the "ditch" in the median, right at the overpass, amongst the cat tails. All you can see of the cruiser is the roof lights and maybe 3/4 of the a,b, and c pillars.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times
They are many times in your rear-view mirror!

Also parked on "on-ramps" where you can't see them when driving by, unless you turn your head to look, just after driving under the overpass. But again you will see them in your mirror, but then it may be too late. Best to slow down for every overpass.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,426,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
They are many times in your rear-view mirror!

Also parked on "on-ramps" where you can't see them when driving by, unless you turn your head to look, just after driving under the overpass. But again you will see them in your mirror, but then it may be too late. Best to slow down for every overpass.

That's how I got my one and only speeding ticket. lol

He cut the ticket down to the bare minimum with no points, so that was cool of him. He really, really could have stuck it to me good.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:58 AM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Here they park in driveways.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:59 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
I use the Waze App. In my area, it is really good at locating cops, even ones hidden on the on ramps.
I say "in my area" because the app is only as good as the amount of people in your area that use it too.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:01 AM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Only referring to interstates that have both spaces in center median and to the right of the road for police vehicles. Was wondering if anyone has noticed something similar: I do quite a bit of interstate driving and have noticed that the placement of police cars performing speed detection seem to cycle between the center median and the outside (right) of the road. Right now, placement has been overwhelmingly in the center median for what feels like a couple years at this point. However years back, I recall the opposite to be true, where there was very little median placement and mostly right of the road placement. My thoughts are that they are trying to train speeders where to look for them and then switch it up randomly to catch people off guard. Let some years go buy then cycle over to placement predominantly on the other side of the road. Anyone notice this in their area?
Part of the reason for this, at least in my state is due to the bi-directional laser is more effective and able to catch speeders from either direction if they are positioned in the center medians, as well as better line of sight.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 PM

67 posts, read 84,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here they park in driveways.
One was parked in front of my house for half an hour about 300 feet from the main road in a residential neighborhood, suddenly I heard a quick siren and he was no longer there, I assume to go give a ticket. Half an hour later he came back and I politely told him to get out the way because I had visitors coming over. He just scoffed and left but that irritated me.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:39 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,213,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach33 View Post
One was parked in front of my house for half an hour about 300 feet from the main road in a residential neighborhood, suddenly I heard a quick siren and he was no longer there, I assume to go give a ticket. Half an hour later he came back and I politely told him to get out the way because I had visitors coming over. He just scoffed and left but that irritated me.
They don't park in driveways here, unless it's their own. Private property owners tend to frown on cops in their driveways.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,975,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
I don't know if there is a method to where they place the cars when it comes to median vs side of the road. But I DO know that they like to stay hidden. If you just pass under an overpass, then there is a good chance a cop will be waiting in the median just behind that bridge where he is out of sight.

I was once caught in a speed trap, there were 2 police cars on the side of a road who had a car pulled over, I passed by them, only to notice 10 seconds later that the other cop was not assisting in that matter, he was speed tracking, and he ended up pulling me over
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive