Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 12:36 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,391,831 times

Advertisements

It was just a wild guess based on experience.

With a little luck... problem solved!

More dome lights and courtesy lights have resulted in plenty of dead batteries around here...

Last week, on my way home I noticed a car with the dome light on... pulled over and knocked on the door... the couple was very skeptical... told them I noticed the dome light was on and didn't want them to have a dead battery... I live a few blocks away.

Seen them maybe 3 times since and each time they stopped to wave as I go by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
OP - You need an energy source to provide energy to the battery. This is either the engine driven alternator in the car or a battery charge/maintainer connected to the wall outlet. There are, as mentioned, solar energy collectors that can provide energy to the battery. They can operate inside the car if they can be located in direct sunlight.

In your case I suggest having the battery checked for capacity and voltage (load test) by someone. Also ask them to check for "parasitic loads" by disconnecting the positive lead from the battery and putting an ammeter between it and the terminal. These loads may be simply draining the stored energy out of a good battery. Determine the real problem and then have it fixed. Just adding a charger of some kind is not a fix it is a band aid.

Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,886,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Hi Mack Knife,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. I really appreciate all of the good tips. And you are right, the car is definitely falling apart lol! But, I'm hoping to keep it limping along.

The AGM batteries are way out of my price range right now, unfortunately. I did look online, and I just can't afford one.

What I did find, however, is a 5W solar charger on Amazon. I called the manufacturer in Canada just now, and asked if this is strong enough to fully charge the battery. I need to fully charge it, then maintain it - or that's my thinking anyway. He said that this one would do that (with a lovely accent BTW ):

Amazon.com: Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger: Automotive

This is bigger than what I'd ideally like to have on the dash - mainly because I'm afraid it will draw attention and someone may steal it. But, I was looking at buying a jump starter battery (which I learned will not charge the battery - they only jump start it) as well as a trickle charger, and still couldn't figure out how to get a full charge without having to 1) Call AAA and use my last service charge until Sept which I really don't want to do; or 2) find somewhere to plug the car into an electric outlet somewhere.

If I have to pay a shop to charge it, I'd rather buy a charger that I can use over and over.

So, that's my thinking right now - to buy the 5W solar charger.

Am happy to hear if you all think that's a bad idea. I really appreciate your help.
Try this and it is very inexpensive and doable:

Get a battery disconnect. They are super easy to install. Basically it is nothing more than a on/off switch for your vehicle battery. The cost only a few dollars and just about any car parts store will have them. Many of them will even install it for you but you can do it yourself.

Once installed, there is a key or sorts that when removed disconnects the battery. In that way, no parasitic drain and affect the battery, it is just sitting there. You just have to remember to "connect" the battery before trying to start the car but it takes just a few seconds and isn't any harder that unlocking your car door.

One word of caution though. Some cars need to "re-program" their automatic transmissions if the battery is disconnected but they do this automatically. The experience is that they will seem to shift roughly for a few miles but it doesn't hurt the transmission. Also, things like clocks on the radio and such might need to be reset.

Before you use a battery disconnect, check with the dealer, they can tell you if there will be any problems using a battery disconnect. Many people use them as a sort of poor persons theft prevention device because the casual joy riders are often prevented from taking your car because even if they get past the ignition switch with a screw driver or something like that, the car still will not start. Rather than fumble around, they just move on to some other car. It won't dissuade the professional car thief even for a second but it can do so for the "kids" looking to play with your car.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:54 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Thought I'd give an update.

So, I've been starting the car every day, and driving it about 3 miles from my apt bldg downtown to the Harbor Freight store, where I use a free coupon to get some gadget LOL!
Harbor Freight has a charger that I've used now for about 10 months. With the 20% coupon it's only $12.

1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger

It has clips that you can connect directly to the battery if you can't plug it in to your cig outlet.

I've used that charger because I have an older battery, rougly 6.5 years old, and winter time is taxing on it. I park for 3-4 days at a time and when I start it up, sometimes late at night, in the winter it would struggle. This charger kept my battery going over the winter and I suspect will be better long time when I get a new one, to keep it topped off and warm.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:23 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,258,091 times
UltraRunner - I checked to see if there was a light on in the trunk, and there was! I never noticed it, as I rarely drive in the dark. I have no idea if it's staying on all the time, but as I don't need it, I pulled out the bulb. Thanks so much for this tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
OP - You need an energy source to provide energy to the battery. This is either the engine driven alternator in the car or a battery charge/maintainer connected to the wall outlet. There are, as mentioned, solar energy collectors that can provide energy to the battery. They can operate inside the car if they can be located in direct sunlight.

In your case I suggest having the battery checked for capacity and voltage (load test) by someone. Also ask them to check for "parasitic loads" by disconnecting the positive lead from the battery and putting an ammeter between it and the terminal. These loads may be simply draining the stored energy out of a good battery. Determine the real problem and then have it fixed. Just adding a charger of some kind is not a fix it is a band aid.
You're absolutely right. I'm worried about the cost of the above, though. I'm on a frighteningly tight budget, and my disposable income is mostly already spoken for for May, as I'm moving into another apartment. So, can't afford to pay a mechanic. Or buy a new battery.

I am planning on buying a battery/alternator tester that plugs into the cigarette lighter for only around $7 at Harbor Freight. My hope is that this will at least give me some info on the battery, and I'll be able to see if it charges completely and holds a charge with the maintainer. My thinking is that the maintainer won't be a waste of money either way (whether or not I need a new battery).

I know my situation is trying. It's like a question on an impossible math exam lol! How do you keep this battery going by spending the least amount of money, without an available electrical outlet.... It reminds me of those awful questions on an LSAT exam. I never did end up taking that exam, but I studied the exam books with sample questions and they hurt my head lol! This is like one of those

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

Get a battery disconnect. They are super easy to install. Basically it is nothing more than a on/off switch for your vehicle battery. The cost only a few dollars and just about any car parts store will have them. Many of them will even install it for you but you can do it yourself.

Once installed, there is a key or sorts that when removed disconnects the battery. In that way, no parasitic drain and affect the battery, it is just sitting there. You just have to remember to "connect" the battery before trying to start the car but it takes just a few seconds and isn't any harder that unlocking your car door.

One word of caution though. Some cars need to "re-program" their automatic transmissions if the battery is disconnected but they do this automatically. The experience is that they will seem to shift roughly for a few miles but it doesn't hurt the transmission. Also, things like clocks on the radio and such might need to be reset.

Before you use a battery disconnect, check with the dealer, they can tell you if there will be any problems using a battery disconnect. Many people use them as a sort of poor persons theft prevention device because the casual joy riders are often prevented from taking your car because even if they get past the ignition switch with a screw driver or something like that, the car still will not start. Rather than fumble around, they just move on to some other car. It won't dissuade the professional car thief even for a second but it can do so for the "kids" looking to play with your car.
I admit, this solution intimidates me. But I will research it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Harbor Freight has a charger that I've used now for about 10 months. With the 20% coupon it's only $12.

1.5 Watt Solar Battery Charger

It has clips that you can connect directly to the battery if you can't plug it in to your cig outlet.

I've used that charger because I have an older battery, rougly 6.5 years old, and winter time is taxing on it. I park for 3-4 days at a time and when I start it up, sometimes late at night, in the winter it would struggle. This charger kept my battery going over the winter and I suspect will be better long time when I get a new one, to keep it topped off and warm.
Hmmm, now we're talking! Love love love the price! I just wonder if it would be capable of giving the battery the initial full charge. The one I was looking at will fully charge it, too. BUT, if I can't afford to buy the 7 watt solar charger I want from Sunforce next month, I can get this one and at least keep it charged enough so it will start. Then, in June, buy the 7 watt charger, and save the 1.5 watt charger for a Christmas present for a friend who loves gadgets (the friend I gave the toolbox to, if any of you remember that thread lol!). All of my friends and family are getting Harbor Freight freebie gifts this year he he!

And I always have the 20% off Harbor Freight coupons handy, too! Thanks so much for this idea. I think the Harbor Freight folk will be in shock when I actually pay for something .

So, another update:

This morning when I went to Harbor Freight to get my free goodie (he he), I got a multi-meter tester thingy (technical term). I was able to test the cigarette lighter with it, with the key off, and got a reading. I couldn't tell you what it meant lol! But, I figure if I got some kind of reading - it registered a "72" or so (72 of what, I don't know), that this means there is some power or an open "line" or whatever to the battery - even with the key off. I truly hope this is what this means, as it would mean I could just plug the solar panel right into the cigarette lighter.

Thanks so much for all of your help and tips.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,886,396 times
You mentioned that your battery is probably toast and if it has drained once, it is no longer reliable.

If you get a new battery, have them install it and they can add that battery disconnect at the same time for less than $10.00. Then you'll never have to worry about something on in the car draining the battery while it sits.

Think about it because the last thing you need is to buy a new battery and then have it go dead too.

The core refund (they take your old battery when you buy the new one) should easily pay for the disconnect switch. Easier to use than putting gas in your car.

Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,302,854 times
Turn it on to volts to see if there is 12v there.

Is your battery currently dead? If so the longer you leave it in that state, the more damage you are doing to it.

If I were in your situation, I would buy a battery charger, use it, then return it. Then buy the solar charger to keep it topped off.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

I use battery shutoffs on some of the older cars.

On new cars I do the opposite... I have a SnapOn brand 9 volt battery that plugs into the lighter socket when ever I change out the battery to keep the programming... too many people I know ended up at the Dealer with problems after replacing the battery... some cars with higher end radios simply would not work without a Dealer Code.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:44 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,654,221 times
I was going to buy this for my car a few years ago. Wonder if it would help the OP? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FRLO9Y/...I3Q3GUWIOEYMZG

Old 04-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonis View Post
I was going to buy this for my car a few years ago. Wonder if it would help the OP? Amazon.com: CTEK Multi US 7002 12V Battery Charger: Automotive

The pulse chargers will sometimes rejuvenate a partially sulfated battery.

I have a different brand and it works well as long as I have a place to plug it in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive