Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:24 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times

Advertisements

Go here, download the file (I hope you can *open* the file).
Keep it for reference.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...303O00020C.pdf

We only buy Honda cars, not because they are somewhat reliable, and fairly economical to operate,
but more because we have a mechanic who *only* works on Honda cars,
plus we trust him !

So somewhere, sometime, you have to find that specific shop who you can trust.
It may take time, but neighbours are a good resource.

Reading the schedule, the 90K service is not that difficult.
The *only* item, I would be concerned about, is :
*Inspect valve clearances*
That takes a bit more then backyard mechanic knowledge !
But ... , as a matter fact, any of these checks or replacement procedures are available *on the net*.
Google is our friend !!

If problems with the file:
below the required items to take care off.
Attached Thumbnails
Where To Get My Car's 90,000 Mile Service-90kschedule01.jpg   Where To Get My Car's 90,000 Mile Service-90kschedule02.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 04-23-2014 at 10:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:17 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Pull out your owners manual. In the back you will find the 90k service and what it entails.
Even dealers negotiate. I would go by the dealer. Ask for the service manager. Ask the cost of the 90k service and then ask if they can discount the work. Some will drop the price.
You can always call and ask their price for the service over the phone so when you go in you know the price already to see if they try jacking your rate up. You can go one step further and have a guy call. See if they give him a different price

Last edited by Electrician4you; 04-23-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 09:16 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
And how do you go about finding this "qualified independent shop"?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
And how do you go about finding this "qualified independent shop"?
The last line where you pulled this statement from, kind of suggest how to do that !

Old 04-27-2014, 08:09 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,283 times
Default 90,000 Mile Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Pull out your owners manual. In the back you will find the 90k service and what it entails.
Even dealers negotiate. I would go by the dealer. Ask for the service manager. Ask the cost of the 90k service and then ask if they can discount the work. Some will drop the price.
You can always call and ask their price for the service over the phone so when you go in you know the price already to see if they try jacking your rate up. You can go one step further and have a guy call. See if they give him a different price

Hmmm....That would be sexist of them, but I hear what you are saying. Thanks for the tip!

Old 04-27-2014, 08:51 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A Honda dealer will KNOW what all should be checked and WILL check / replace all those things as recommended by the factory. They will follow the instructions in the factory service manual for that vehicle. And will also use the correct parts, lubricants, etc.

A 3rd party mechanic may not have the factory service information and if they did, might not even bother looking at what all should be checked. And they may not replace something because they don't have the parts on hand. Also they may not use the proper grease on something because they don't have it.

As an example I have a trailer axle which specifies a certain specification of grease. It holds up to heat better. I went to an auto parts store and the guy there said "Any axle grease will work". (They did not have the correct specification grease.) Anyway that is WRONG and the mentality of some people who are not factory authorized mechanics. They are not going to make a special trip to buy a special grease or part.

That is my experience at least.
The Honda Civic is a common car. They sell more of these than Impalas. There is nothing exotic about a Honda 4 cylinder engine.

Dealer service departments make up their own recommendations. They might tell you the factory recommends a transmission flush, but if that were true it would be in the owners manual. As for "factory service information" this stuff is all available online to garages. They subscribe to a service that gives them all of this.

The 90K service probably means a timing belt and water pump. Probably a good time to change the drive belt too - unless it was changed recently. It could be due for a transmission fluid drain/replace. The coolant will be replaced if they replace the water pump. If the OP's city has a reputable independent mechanic that works on Japanese brands - this is the first place I'd call and ask about.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The 90K service probably means a timing belt and water pump. Probably a good time to change the drive belt too - unless it was changed recently. It could be due for a transmission fluid drain/replace.
Why use all these assumptions, when the required services are all listed in the manual ?

As a matter fact, NONE of these *Probably's and Could be's* are required for a 90K service !

Old 04-29-2014, 10:54 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,683 times
I have a local independent Honda-only dealer that I have been going to and trust. Their labor rate is about $60 cheaper per hour than a full fledged Honda dealer.

Here is why I started going with them: My 2008 Odyssey had a problem with the sideview mirrors not moving in the down position. Two of the regular Honda dealers wanted to replace both mirrors that would have cost $800. The independent one looked at it and knew that a $30 part needed replaced. The part came in, took 30 minutes to replace, and only spent about $90 to fix it instead of $800. I also asked them about 75,000 mile service and they said it is no different than what they do for oil changes. So I stick to them. Plus it is easier to get an appointment with them.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:32 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Why use all these assumptions, when the required services are all listed in the manual ?

As a matter fact, NONE of these *Probably's and Could be's* are required for a 90K service !
chill. He's obviously not a Honda owner...he's just listing what is usually done on most cars around the 90k-100k mark. He was simply giving the OP an idea of what could be required. It's up to the OP to figure out exactly what needs to be done.

In my opinion, only suckers go to dealerships or people who dont value money and quality work. Find a reputable shop, make a list of what you want done, and get a price and maybe check it with another reputable shop. Either way, go this route and save a ton of money and probably get your car back quicker.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:02 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
[/b]

Hmmm....That would be sexist of them, but I hear what you are saying. Thanks for the tip!
Yup you're absolutely right it is sexist and wrong and it still happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive