Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 05:10 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Isn't the Avalon bigger then the ES? Me personally I would rather have the larger car.
No. But even though the ES is based on the Avalon, the Avalon drives MUCH better than the Lexus. I cant stand the ES interior/dash/idrive type mouse pad either. ESPECIALLY compared to the gorgeous dash of a top level Avalon. Unfortunately Lexus went all "bad years of Buick", soft and floaty and totally disconnected to the road. In comparison the current Avalon went a good deal firmer feeling, enough to upset many traditional Avalon buyers. The hybrid version is a lil softer though. Closer to the ride of the previous Avalon and real world 40+ MPG and still 0-60 mph in a lil over 7 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 08:53 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
It comes down to build quality. If you look back at the recalls, the Toyota versions were recalled yet their sister Lexus versions were not. Both now manufacture outside of Japan. The difference I've found (We have a Toyota and a couple of Lexus') is the parts. Toyota's are using parts that are more or less locally made and Lexus is using Denso. Outside of maintenance my Lexus' have needed no repairs (one of them is now at 225,000 and the wife refused to let it go even though we purchased the new version of it). The Toyota has not had any mechanical problems, except for sensors failing. So that is one thing. The other is Dealership experience. With Lexus' they give you a rental car for free which is another Lexus' no matter what your warranty status is. Once they finish whatever they are doing, they wash and vacuum the car (light detailing) at no charge. Toyota dealerships are not consistent in service from city to city, but Lexus is. The only thing I strongly dislike is the mouse control on the center console.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
. The difference I've found (We have a Toyota and a couple of Lexus') is the parts. Toyota's are using parts that are more or less locally made and Lexus is using Denso. .
I dont know what your "locality" is but here in the U.S. that is not true at all.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
I dont know what your "locality" is but here in the U.S. that is not true at all.
I ordered parts for a friends Highlander. Even though the package had the Toyota label on it, the part itself didn't. When I've ordered parts for a friends Lexus RX, the label said Toyota and the part said Denso on it. They were both A/C related parts. It's not all parts, but it is many.

FWIW I have a connection in the Master Toyota Warehouse for the US, so I can skip all the middlemen and still have a Toyota warrantied part.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I ordered parts for a friends Highlander. Even though the package had the Toyota label on it, the part itself didn't. When I've ordered parts for a friends Lexus RX, the label said Toyota and the part said Denso on it. They were both A/C related parts. It's not all parts, but it is many.

Wrong. That means nothing. In reality the bulk of Densos products are not labeled with their company name. You do know that Toyota owns Denso, dont you? LOL..

Old 04-26-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Wrong. That means nothing. In reality the bulk of Densos products are not labeled with their company name. You do know that Toyota owns Denso, dont you? LOL..
You really know nothing about US manufactured Toyotas.

Quote:
Parts and materials for our Kentucky-built Camrys, Avalons and Venzas flow into Georgetown from some 33 states. We rely on 92 suppliers from our home state of Kentucky alone, and hundreds of others scattered across the continental United States.

Toyota Kentucky -|- The Official Website of TMMK

Yet for Lexus:

Quote:
For the first time, a Lexus vehicle will be produced in the United States. The Lexus ES 350 will be assembled at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Kentucky (TMMK) in 2015....

Old 04-26-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
You really know nothing about US manufactured Toyotas.

Yet for Lexus:

Your opinion is dead wrong as your assumptions about the "difference" in suppliers for Toyota/Lexus products built on the same/similar platforms. I KNOW this from personal experience, not from assumptions by your less than expert visual examination of replacement parts. Ive worked for Toyota and Lexus for over a decade on and off. Sometimes at the Kentucky facility. What I am saying is you are wrong if you THINK that a toyota/lecus product that is built on the same platform uses DIFFERENT parts from a Toyota to a Lexus. They are the same on the same platforms.

And in reality, there have already been Avalons built in Kentucky. Not production models yet. I know from driving it off the R&D line myself.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:21 AM

134 posts, read 472,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J View Post
Isn't the Avalon bigger then the ES? Me personally I would rather have the larger car.
AOL Auto Specs claims Avalon is bigger in most of inside dimensions

Old 04-29-2014, 08:37 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
it was only a matter of time before Lexus, Acura & Infiniti started making cars in the US due to the strength of the yen among several reasons, and the new Acura ILX is made at the Civic plant in Greensburg, IN, so Infiniti would appear to be next.

Drive both of them and then decide.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I could give less about looks, but my Q is: where is Avalon made? Lexus is hell of reliable cars. Hard to find still made in Toyota City breed.
Georgetown, KY. It was designed in the US for the US market as it is considered too big a car for most of the rest of the world. All the Avs I've seen and driven are well-finished and quality cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive