Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,866,675 times

Advertisements

I have a nearly 30 year old Pontiac Fiero in my garage right now. Despite it's reputation, it still runs just fine and has never left me stranded. I guess it is long lasting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,276,082 times
I have a Ford Explorer (2005) and a Fusion (2008) both with >100k miles and going great.

I expect my 2014 Focus to last a long time as well.

The three Saturns we owned over the years were pretty good, too. Although our 1993 gold SL1 bit the dust at around 160k.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:22 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
I've always thought the H-body cars from '86-'90 (LeSabre/Park Ave, Eigty Eight/Ninety Eight) were some of the best ones GM ever made. They were very solid reliable cars in a time period when most everything else was wasn't. The 3.8 was a darned good engine until GM messed it up in the mid 90's by putting too many plastic parts on it.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM

7,885 posts, read 11,315,810 times
Care to explain the great no recall idea GM recently displayed? I owned GM most of my life until a 1983 Cadillac Sedan De Ville stranded my wife multiple times with less than 40k miles on it. It nearly broke GM and me trying to keep it running. It was a diaster and I wont go back after having 12 flawless nice looking infiniti's and 2 good Lexus's. Without the Japanese pushing reliability neither US nor Euro manufacturers would be building a reliable car as they now do all because of competition not their leadership. Any company who pays workers that were laid off due to reduced demand, to sit in a room and do thing and yet pays them is going to get my $.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Care to explain the great no recall idea GM recently displayed? I owned GM most of my life until a 1983 Cadillac Sedan De Ville stranded my wife multiple times with less than 40k miles on it. It nearly broke GM and me trying to keep it running. It was a diaster and I wont go back after having 12 flawless nice looking infiniti's and 2 good Lexus's. Without the Japanese pushing reliability neither US nor Euro manufacturers would be building a reliable car as they now do all because of competition not their leadership. Any company who pays workers that were laid off due to reduced demand, to sit in a room and do thing and yet pays them is going to get my $.
I suppose it is no different than the "no recall idea" Toyota just got fined billions for.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:51 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,927,995 times
Here is my thought on this. I completely understand that there will be cars going 200K from both the domestic and import side, but what my concern is with jobs for your average worker. The OP talks about money going to Japan et al, and that your money should stay in America. The problem is that a lot of so called American cars aren't made in America at all. They are made in Mexico and Canada. So, if you buy that American car made in Mexico, your money supported Mexican employees, the dealership employees, and the CEOs bonuses at the automaker. Buy a car manufactured and assembled in the US, you are now supporting a whole slew of workers in the plants. These workers are your everyday Joe and Sue. These are the people who should earn our American Dollar. So, before people go all 'Murica' on cars, they should look to see if their car actually is American after all.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,864,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Most of my very hard earned money is NOT going back to the world standard of corporate greed, aka Detroit Big Three, because I am staying away from their products.
And American economy is down the sewers not because people buy what they TRUST with their hard earned money, but because Made in USA is no more world standard of quality. YOU, OP, let the quality out. Look into a mirror before blaming it on "you people".
otherwise to your original question. Our 86 Chrysler leBaron made it all the way through 168 000 miles and was a pleasant and "exciting" car, being GTS, but it does not qualify, as it was made in kahutz with dreaded by you Mitsubishi. Otherwise, every pure bread Detroit product I touched was much worse quality than it's Japan made counterpart.
Here's easy fix for your concern. MAKE BETTER VEHICLES. Buyers will come.
Um... you do know that the Japanese and German auto manufacturers are for profit and make very large ones? They are just as "greedy" as the American ones. Look at how many Toyota's were recalled.

Also, the parent car company doesn't really mean much about where a car is actually made and I think most people view "Made in the USA" as a very positive sign.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Here is my thought on this. I completely understand that there will be cars going 200K from both the domestic and import side, but what my concern is with jobs for your average worker. The OP talks about money going to Japan et al, and that your money should stay in America. The problem is that a lot of so called American cars aren't made in America at all. They are made in Mexico and Canada. So, if you buy that American car made in Mexico, your money supported Mexican employees, the dealership employees, and the CEOs bonuses at the automaker. Buy a car manufactured and assembled in the US, you are now supporting a whole slew of workers in the plants. These workers are your everyday Joe and Sue. These are the people who should earn our American Dollar. So, before people go all 'Murica' on cars, they should look to see if their car actually is American after all.
Not this again... but if we go here it would be best to really examine the total domestic economic impact of buying from a particular brand, or even down to a particular model instead of just using hyperbole about which worker where made what. Although following the money trail on particular models has been tried, it is very difficult. Still, there seems very little argument that more of the total profit of the domestic based companies remain in the US, than the profit of the foreign based companies.

So anyone who was truly concerned with "buying American" as their overriding factor would look at far more than just the final assembly location alone... and if they did it would heavily sway them back to the domestic brands since they DO build a lot of cars domestically too (just as the foreign brands build many cars off shore too), but the domestics still do many other things domestically which most of the foreign brands either do minimally or not at all.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:22 PM

16,882 posts, read 15,993,964 times
I love Japan. I wish I married a Japanese woman. I love Toyotas.
I think American cars suck, mechanically.

Old 04-24-2014, 12:31 PM

1,716 posts, read 3,556,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Not this again... but if we go here it would be best to really examine the total domestic economic impact of buying from a particular brand, or even down to a particular model instead of just using hyperbole about which worker where made what. Although following the money trail on particular models has been tried, it is very difficult. Still, there seems very little argument that more of the total profit of the domestic based companies remain in the US, than the profit of the foreign based companies.

So anyone who was truly concerned with "buying American" as their overriding factor would look at far more than just the final assembly location alone... and if they did it would heavily sway them back to the domestic brands since they DO build a lot of cars domestically too (just as the foreign brands build many cars off shore too), but the domestics still do many other things domestically which most of the foreign brands either do minimally or not at all.
This is the list people should be following:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive