Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 10:54 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid in the 70's, people would go on vacation away from home and LOOK FORWARD to not receiving any phone calls! (At their hotel...)

My how things have changed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 11:21 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
I hope all people who text or use their phones while driving DIE
be careful what you ask for you may just get it;

Woman Killed Seconds After Posting About 'Happy' Song - Police say she had also been posting selfies while driving

Old 04-26-2014, 01:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
For those of you with AT&T, I would strongly recommend downloading their free "Drive Mode" app for your smartphone. It makes a lot of sense and while it's not perfect (see last paragraph about "Allow List" below), it works pretty well for me! ...
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that. I'd rep you, but apparently I did for something else recently.

Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
never text and drive, its far too dangerous.
This. I never text and drive, so I don't have to worry about being pulled over for that. Speeding? Now that's a different story!

Old 04-26-2014, 01:46 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
This. I never text and drive, so I don't have to worry about being pulled over for that. Speeding? Now that's a different story!
speeding is fun, besides the only speed that kills is pharmaceutical.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:17 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
speeding is fun, besides the only speed that kills is pharmaceutical.
I love speeding, both for the sensation of the speed and also from being outside the law by a wide margin. The risk of getting into trouble is a big part of what makes it fun. I've never outgrown that.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:18 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Young people never seem to learn the easy way, they always want to go to the school of hard knocks!

Anyway it DOES NOT MATTER what you say, what matters is what the cop says he saw you doing. Judges listen to cops.

Also can you say DUH? (You might be interested to know that digital devices and your cell phone provider have an ELECTRONIC RECORD of exactly what you were doing and at what time you were doing it!)

Not to mention many businesses have cameras these days, which many times capture things happening in the street or across the street. So if you are texting and kill someone, chances are high you will be on video and definite that there will be an electronic record of what you were doing.

Texting while driving now leading cause of death for teen drivers...
Study: Texting while driving now leading cause of death for teen drivers - Newsday
I've also read where some insurance companies won't pay off if you have an accident while texting.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
I don't do it but I sure am worried about the other people that do and may kill me......

I can bet you that the car that sits at a traffic light and doesn't go when it turns green, is a driver on a cell phone. It never fails. They are like zombies.

I had a guy make a right turn in front of me the other morning and I almost hit him as I came through the light. Of course, he was on a cell phone. Stayed on it, too, for many blocks, poking along.....

Old 04-26-2014, 04:50 PM

414 posts, read 930,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Thanks for the info. I didn't know about that. I'd rep you, but apparently I did for something else recently.
Glad to help, Jukesgrrl Not sure if T-Mobile, Verizon and the rest have a similar driving mode app, but hopefully they do!

Getting people to actually USE it is another story entirely though!

Old 04-26-2014, 05:06 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
even talking on phone while driving makes you distracted - drivers think they can do it because either they drive at a speed (usually below speed limit) and don't give a damn to traffic behind and in front (so basically everyone else is making sure driver on phone can drive) or they divert attention constantly between phone and the road (when they want to change lane they stop talking or kind of pause and look at the road and other times they are simply driving and not looking around at all and simply focused on the phone). Obviously even this is very dangerous now texting - I don't even know how it is possible for people to do it. It really is a shocking news for me that people can do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive