Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
I don't text while driving but I do watch Youtube and surf the web. I know, not much better.

It just gets boring driving 3-4 hours with nothing to do other than listening to boring talk radio or songs I've heard a million times.

I try to do it safety as possible while I am driving in the slowest lane and without cars around. Luckily I have never gotten in to an accident and no cop has pulled me over in the many years I have been doing it.
I would listen to audiobooks- business related, language courses, there are the Great Lecture series,etc. many alternatives to texting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Even messing with the phone GPS means taking eyes off the road for a couple seconds at a time. I don't feel comfortable even doing that even though I am fully confident I am a capable (some would say aggressive) driver. You know how you're supposed to be aware of your surroundings at all times and actively be a defensive driver? Can't do that when you're looking away every few seconds. Texting is so much worse than just messing with your GPS settings.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I text all the time while driving even though it is illegal in my state. The cops don't care - they just go after speeders.
Quote:
I don't text while driving but I do watch Youtube and surf the web. I know, not much better.

It just gets boring driving 3-4 hours with nothing to do other than listening to boring talk radio or songs I've heard a million times.

I try to do it safety as possible while I am driving in the slowest lane and without cars around. Luckily I have never gotten in to an accident and no cop has pulled me over in the many years I have been doing it.
I am stunned at both the idiocy AND the arrogance -- that your wanting to be "entertained" while DRIVING is more important than the people you could easily kill or maim while doing something so incredibly stupid and dangerous.

In the past week or two there have been more stories about people dying while "entertaining themselves" while driving. One woman was killed a minute after posting to Facebook about the dangers of using Facebook while driving. She could easily have killed others as well. Someone else was killed after texting/posting about how the "Happy" song made her happy. Again, she could easily have killed others as well.

Maybe this sounds mean, but I have zero sympathy for these people killing THEMSELVES -- their level of idiocy is almost beyond comprehension. I DO have sympathy for any innocent people who are killed because people like Ram2 and Ramkobe (and some other C-D posters) think their need to be entertained while DRIVING trumps other people's need to be safe from such idiots.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:59 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Winter Soldier View Post
In the few seconds that your eyes are off the road and your immediate surroundings to look at the text message, any number of things can happen!

The text message is NOT that important...better to let it wait until the car is at a complete stop, IMHO!
60 MPH= 88 feet per second!!!!

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,288,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am stunned at both the idiocy AND the arrogance -- that your wanting to be "entertained" while DRIVING is more important than the people you could easily kill or maim while doing something so incredibly stupid and dangerous...
This is starting to sound familiar to me. (When in the past people have tried to educate certain people)...

As it turned out, those people did not care if they harmed or killed other people. Totally selfish people. The psychiatric term is "Sociopath".

Anyway it is sounding like this is the case with these texters as well? Maybe they are so selfish, they just don't care if they kill or harm someone else?

Maybe the place for them is a Lunatic Asylum or Jail - Lock them up up so they can not harm others!

"People with certain types of personality disorders can occasionally present a danger to themselves or others"...
Involuntary commitment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Or at least immediately revoke their driving privileges when they are caught (no warnings!). Write your elected officials and tell them what these people are saying above.

Contact Elected Officials | USA.gov

Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Zot

468 posts, read 681,594 times
I solved this problem by never texting, or I guess ISTPBNT.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 AM

850 posts, read 3,717,131 times
A woman just died in North Carolina for posting that she was "happy" on Facebook while driving. Ran into another truck head-on. If it wouldn't been a truck, she would have killed someone else too.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:32 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,448,803 times
Quote:
I just learned that in California, it's legal to use your cellphone if it's GPS. So that's the excuse I'll be using if I ever get pulled over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I text all the time while driving even though it is illegal in my state. The cops don't care - they just go after speeders.
We have a few new nominees.

Darwin Awards. Homo sapiens decline; Neo Sapiens rise! February 2013

Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM

303 posts, read 595,674 times
I check and respond to texts at stop lights. Once the light changes, the phone is put down and off I go.

The only reason why I upgraded to a '13 Altima is for Integrated Bluetooth, because I was tired of having to forward calls to voicemail (I refuse to have a phone up to my face like a nitwit while I'm on the highway).

Cops seem to think they're impervious to these and other traffic safety rules, so I guess my big problem is that they aren't leading by example. Put the phone down, LEOs!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:56 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMillersWife View Post
I check and respond to texts at stop lights. Once the light changes, the phone is put down and off I go.
You write this as if it is OK. It's not. I can't tell you how many people I've been behind on the road, and the light changes, and they sit there with their head down. Gee, I wonder what they're looking at?

I can think of NO text that would be so earth-shatteringly important that anyone would need to read it and respond to it while in the car. NONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive