Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 10:56 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
OK Yuppie, as soon as my SS check gets here I'm going to run out (Or have somebody carry me) and buy one of those vehicles, then I won't have to put my phone down to open the door or start it. Who knew life was so hard ?

Not old enough to be a yuppie here, but I think if you are on SS you might be lol Maybe that new fangled push button is too complicated ! haha

Luckily my phone is small enough to put into my pocket! Or at least I am smart enough to put it there instead of trying to carry it all the time lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 11:02 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
My friend thought the same thing...that she had to have the keys to unlock the car, even though she had a push button start, then she had to put the keys somewhere. Chances are there's a small button on the exterior handle that you can press to unlock the car without the keys having to be out if your pocket. A lot if people don't notice that. She had had her car for almost 2 years when I showed her that feature! She has a 2010 Nissan maxima.
I rented a Maxima that had the push button on the door handle which was a pleasant surprise. The whole trip I never had to take out the key. I already have this perk on my own car (actually a door handle sensor, not a button) so as I said, it was a nice surprise that even a rented-out Maxima had it. With kids and often extra gear in hand(s), it is priceless not having to go into your pockets. Now if only I can get comfortable behind the idea of making my house's door lock keyless then I'd really never have to fumble around again.

Personally I think it's pointless to have push-start buttons if the rest of the car needs the keys (doors or ignition). If a model offers it but the specific car is ordered without keyless, they still need to insert the fob first then push the button making it seem like a gimmick. And of course they're not going to offer the traditional turn-key ignition in addition for manufacturing reasons. Bottom line, either offer it completely keyless as standard, or don't offer push-button start at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if you lose your keys, unless they are the laser cut, or other high end expensive ones, its costs about $35 or so to have a lock smith come out and make you a new one. if you lose your key fob, or need to get one of the expensive type of keys made and the car reprogrammed, you are talking several hundred to a couple thousand dollars to replace.
Even my wife's '13 Hyundai Sonata's key is considered laser cut and it doesn't have any keyless features nor a push-button start. Just the remote lock/unlock. I tried calling locksmiths but they wanted $75 for a copy. It's just all headed that way - can't hide for long.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-28-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 04-28-2014, 11:53 AM

558 posts, read 1,120,056 times
My brother was given a Grand Cherokee rental and it had the push button thingy, man was it annoying. Maybe just his rental had a flaw but the vehicle was really sensitive and would not start with the keys in pocket. So if you have to get the keys out anyway whats the use of this feature?

The only really cool newer feature I like is on a Ford Escape commercial it showed a guy waving his foot under the rear bumper and a motion sensor opened the hatch. Cool feature, but wonder how it works when covered in ice and snow.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:22 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Even my wife's '13 Hyundai Sonata's key is considered laser cut and it doesn't have any keyless features nor a push-button start. Just the remote lock/unlock. I tried calling locksmiths but they wanted $75 for a copy. It's just all headed that way - can't hide for long.
yep, as compared to my 82 fairmont where i can buy a copy for like $6 or less depending on where i go.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:23 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger76 View Post
My brother was given a Grand Cherokee rental and it had the push button thingy, man was it annoying. Maybe just his rental had a flaw but the vehicle was really sensitive and would not start with the keys in pocket. So if you have to get the keys out anyway whats the use of this feature?

The only really cool newer feature I like is on a Ford Escape commercial it showed a guy waving his foot under the rear bumper and a motion sensor opened the hatch. Cool feature, but wonder how it works when covered in ice and snow.
I wonder how much it costs to get it fixed when it breaks, lol. I have an older car, '98 Acura, which doesn't have any of these advanced features and my repair costs over the years have been remarkably low considering I'm 30 miles away from 300,000 miles. I worry about how much those costs will go up with my next car which has all this advanced technology, console computrized screens, etc, etc.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:34 PM

558 posts, read 1,120,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wonder how much it costs to get it fixed when it breaks, lol. I have an older car, '98 Acura, which doesn't have any of these advanced features and my repair costs over the years have been remarkably low considering I'm 30 miles away from 300,000 miles. I worry about how much those costs will go up with my next car which has all this advanced technology, console computrized screens, etc, etc.
Yeah I wonder these things too. Seems like people today don't even think about that stuff, but I do. I too drive an old car (97 Suzuki) and I do my own oil changes and pretty much I know the car inside and out, it's very simple. The newer cars you can barely change a battery without removing heaps of other things.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:43 PM

6,535 posts, read 7,115,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yep, as compared to my 82 fairmont where i can buy a copy for like $6 or less depending on where i go.
Your Fairmont is probably worth about $200, so your $6 key is 3% of your cars value

Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,861,510 times
I can't stand the push button start feature - I got stranded because the battery in my fob died and there is no other way to start the car. There is a "key" in the fob to open the door, but there isn't a way to start the car with the key. Totally useless technology and just another way to get stranded.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:12 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,135,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Many people don't hold onto cars forever anymore. Manufactures know this and are making cheaper products at higher prices. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can't stand the push button start feature - I got stranded because the battery in my fob died and there is no other way to start the car. There is a "key" in the fob to open the door, but there isn't a way to start the car with the key. Totally useless technology and just another way to get stranded.
I have an actual key inside my fob. You have to take the back off to get to it. I think it's the emergency backup.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:24 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,995,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
This kind of malfunction generally should not happen. After the battery gets weak enough to impare the fob's ability to transmit, it should set off a warning in the car to alert you to a weak fob battery giving time to replace it.

Even when extremely weak, holding the fob near the start button should be enough for the car to start and operate in a pinch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive