Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which car scenario scares you the most?
Drunk person driving a car, or texting while driving, etc. 16 66.67%
Car driving ITSELF with a person sitting behind the wheel. 0 0%
Car driving itself with NO person in the car at all. 8 33.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:58 PM

746 posts, read 866,506 times

Advertisements

Take the poll.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Those are weird options.

I find the notion of self-driving cars both sad and alarming, but I don't know enough about them to be "scared."
I drive a lot and am a competent, defensive driver....when I see someone texting or otherwise driving like a clueless jerk, I am not scared, I'm just annoyed. So I couldn't answer your poll.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Those are weird options.

I find the notion of self-driving cars both sad and alarming, but I don't know enough about them to be "scared."
I drive a lot and am a competent, defensive driver....when I see someone texting or otherwise driving like a clueless jerk, I am not scared, I'm just annoyed. So I couldn't answer your poll.
How are self driving cars sad? What would be sad is if innovation stopped and technology never advanced. Cars have been powered by pushing a pedal and turning a steering wheel for a long time now, time to start changing the method of how a car works. If a machine does something, it should be able to do it self don't you think? Humans have brains. Robots can have AI and work in a similar manner to humans to help us. Only problem is it could end up robbing jobs from humans.

Anyways, I think a self driving car would be MUCH more reliable than a human driving. People can stop b***hing and moaning about helping others, we're making robots to help us. Robots don't get mad cause that's what they are robots. Some people can't drive at all cause their legs are broken or they're blind. What are they supposed to do? Sit at home their whole lives? Relying on people makes people hate you, robots CSS actually save friendships and relationships, and literally save lives (their main purpose).

Old 04-28-2014, 09:15 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,248,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MynameisnotPeter View Post
How are self driving cars sad? What would be sad is if innovation stopped and technology never advanced. Cars have been powered by pushing a pedal and turning a steering wheel for a long time now, time to start changing the method of how a car works. If a machine does something, it should be able to do it self don't you think? Humans have brains. Robots can have AI and work in a similar manner to humans to help us. Only problem is it could end up robbing jobs from humans.

Anyways, I think a self driving car would be MUCH more reliable than a human driving. People can stop b***hing and moaning about helping others, we're making robots to help us. Robots don't get mad cause that's what they are robots. Some people can't drive at all cause their legs are broken or they're blind. What are they supposed to do? Sit at home their whole lives? Relying on people makes people hate you, robots CSS actually save friendships and relationships, and literally save lives (their main purpose).
As it's been mentioned before, machines break. What happens when your robot stops working and a blind person is sitting behind the wheel, with no way to drive?

How many times have you created this exact thread?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
As it's been mentioned before, machines break. What happens when your robot stops working and a blind person is sitting behind the wheel, with no way to drive?

How many times have you created this exact thread?
I have never made this poll. And accidects can happen no matter what! At least blind people will have a chance of getting to places on their own.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:

You have a history of posting about your inability to drive because of anxiety and fear, while wishing that self-driving cars were more prevalent. Your poll reflects your bias (or desire, I'm not sure which.) Also you are 18 and have never driven a car by your own admission and your poll reflects your inexperience and fear.

I think that love for self-driving cars is sad because its just one more way that people desire technology to replace a human skill they don't have, or are unwilling to have. People with "broken legs" or without lower-body function can drive just fine, with hand controls. Blind people should not drive, period. I'm not denying that innovation and robotics can be a useful thing.

Basically the only fear I ever have IRT driving is mechanical failure leading to expensive repair bills. I will and do drive in all sorts of vile weather conditions, or while traveling overseas on the "wrong" side of the road or whatever, without any problems. I enjoy the act of driving, always have.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
You have a history of posting about your inability to drive because of anxiety and fear, while wishing that self-driving cars were more prevalent. Your poll reflects your bias (or desire, I'm not sure which.) Also you are 18 and have never driven a car by your own admission and your poll reflects your inexperience and fear.

I think that love for self-driving cars is sad because its just one more way that people desire technology to replace a human skill they don't have, or are unwilling to have. People with "broken legs" or without lower-body function can drive just fine, with hand controls. Blind people should not drive, period. I'm not denying that innovation and robotics can be a useful thing.

Basically the only fear I ever have IRT driving is mechanical failure leading to expensive repair bills. I will and do drive in all sorts of vile weather conditions, or while traveling overseas on the "wrong" side of the road or whatever, without any problems. I enjoy the act of driving, always have.
Blind people want to have lives too.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Blind people want to have lives too.
M'OK.

You are not blind. You are scared and anxious. What's your point, again?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
"Christine" was such a scary movie!!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:45 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
"Christine" was such a scary movie!!
But everyone love KITT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive