Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 08:53 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
Mine costs $40 to fill-up.

Yours?
About $1000. But it wasn't my money.
Then I got paid $560 to run her dry.
You?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 10:08 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,278,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
What car doesn't need a fill-up after 600 miles?

V8 would need 2 fill-ups in the same span. I spend just $40 each fill-up.
Why do you assume everybody has to drive 600 miles a day? If I drive a 10mpg car and drive 5 miles a day I am way ahead of you.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:32 AM

820 posts, read 1,209,487 times
I'm purchasing a car soon and it makes more sense to get the v-6 Nissan Altima, as opposed to the 4 cylinder. Its a 5 mpg difference. The v-6 rides a lot smoother, and is quiet.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:29 AM

45,408 posts, read 60,592,880 times
As just a side note (and because I've wanted to throw in for a couple days) most trucks now are being built with V-6 instead of V-8 engines.

The V8 Pickup Truck Is On Life Support

Both of mine (F-150s) have 6s, mostly because I really don't need an 8 with what I do with the trucks. My oldest son's Frontier is a 4, it should have been a 6.

Old 05-03-2014, 06:15 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I bought a V-4 Colorado to save gas money.

The engine works so hard to do anything, it is just not viable. Now they just make a V5.

Six cylinders working easy will beat 4 cylinders working hard, anyday.

The other problem we have experienced with V4 deals with interstate on ramps. Those little engines really eliminate almost all merge options and literally put your life at risk.

Sometimes you need to power to accelerate and a 4 cylinder rarely has that power.

Finally, if you live in mountains, well..... Forget it.

What we used to call in the Pentagon, "Strategy - Force mismatch."

Old 05-03-2014, 06:33 AM

1,528 posts, read 4,233,631 times
Why do people pay for iPhones when the cheap $29 phone can text, call, email and even surf the net??

Old 05-03-2014, 07:20 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

The engine works so hard to do anything, it is just not viable. Now they just make a V5.

Six cylinders working easy will beat 4 cylinders working hard, anyday.

The other problem we have experienced with V4 deals with interstate on ramps. Those little engines really eliminate almost all merge options and literally put your life at risk.

Sometimes you need to power to accelerate and a 4 cylinder rarely has that power.

Finally, if you live in mountains, well..... Forget it.

What we used to call in the Pentagon, "Strategy - Force mismatch."
There is no such thing as a "V4" or "V5". Inline 4 and inline 5, yes. As noted, trucks are one area where a bigger gas engine may make more sense. What really belongs in 1/2 ton and compact pickups, though, are diesel engines. Finally, the US is getting a diesel option in the Ram 1/2 ton pickup and one is coming in the upcoming Chevy Colorado. In those types of pickup applications, an I4 or V6 turbodiesel engine has power to spare and can get 1 1/2 times or more the fuel economy of a gas engine.

Last edited by jazzlover; 05-03-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 07:33 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Why do you assume everybody has to drive 600 miles a day? If I drive a 10mpg car and drive 5 miles a day I am way ahead of you.
This is the elephant in the room:
Elephant in the room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MPG is far less important than the amount of gasoline consumed in a given period of time, say Gallons Per Week.

I just did some calculations on my 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. 4 Cylinder, by the way. It is 30 weeks old. My overall gas mileage is 18.2. This does not sound impressive, although we just went through a horrible winter of unrelenting bitter cold and snow. However, I am averaging 6 Gallons Per Week, which is much more impressive.

If my Tacoma had an hour meter, then I would be able to tell you how many Hours Per Week I spend on the road. This is another valuable figure, because the fewer hours spent on the road, the lower the contribution to traffic congestion.

A 10 mpg vehicle driven 5 miles a day would use 3.5 Gallons Per Week, so they would be ahead of me both in fuel consumption and Hours Per Week road time. This is where the claims that higher vehicle mileage standards would save people money fall apart. It is more likely that a person going from a 10 mpg vehicle to a more fuel efficient vehicle would just drive more; saving no fuel and increasing traffic congestion.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Uh......there is no such thing. Not a V4. Maybe an I4.

The OP is just a troll. Regardless of what his trip computer says, no one can get 50 MPG on a Civic unless it is a hybrid or he is somehow hypermiling it. It would be nice if he would stop trying to project his 50 MPG over 135 miles as a general experience a 4 cylinder car can deliver. But that is probably just too much to ask.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,476,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
This is the elephant in the room:
Elephant in the room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MPG is far less important than the amount of gasoline consumed in a given period of time, say Gallons Per Week.

I just did some calculations on my 2014 Toyota Tacoma 4WD. 4 Cylinder, by the way. It is 30 weeks old. My overall gas mileage is 18.2. This does not sound impressive, although we just went through a horrible winter of unrelenting bitter cold and snow. However, I am averaging 6 Gallons Per Week, which is much more impressive.

If my Tacoma had an hour meter, then I would be able to tell you how many Hours Per Week I spend on the road. This is another valuable figure, because the fewer hours spent on the road, the lower the contribution to traffic congestion.

A 10 mpg vehicle driven 5 miles a day would use 3.5 Gallons Per Week, so they would be ahead of me both in fuel consumption and Hours Per Week road time. This is where the claims that higher vehicle mileage standards would save people money fall apart. It is more likely that a person going from a 10 mpg vehicle to a more fuel efficient vehicle would just drive more; saving no fuel and increasing traffic congestion.
That is mostly quite true. In my case, I only live 2 miles from my work, so my commuting is minimal. Unfortunately, my work, by necessity, requires me to cover quite a lot of miles on a regular basis. Unlike the "suburban blob" commuters who tie themselves down with long daily commutes under the worst driving conditions for good fuel economy, nearly all of my driving is on rural roads and highways, where one can usually achieve the best fuel economy. I still drive a fuel-efficient car (a Prius) for my work purposes whenever it is practical. I also drive a 4WD truck for my work when that is necessary--but it is a diesel that is as fuel-efficient as a vehicle of that size and capability can be.

I know a lot of people, though, who buy more fuel efficient vehicles and don't drive any more than they did with their previous vehicle--they just use less fuel. I made a rule for myself back in 1979 that I would not buy any vehicle that didn't get better fuel economy than the one that it replaced. I've always managed to do that, usually buying one that got substantially better fuel economy. And, no, I don't trade vehicles just to get better fuel economy--I usually keep a vehicle at least 10-15 years, sometimes longer, before replacing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive