Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,404,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Creating bottlenecks in the interstate highway system will negatively effect the economy. This will result in a reduction in tourism as well as a reduction in delivery time for products. Such delays can add cost to building homes and businesses.
Right now, a lot of truckers change their Interstate routes a bit to avoid tolls. E.g. Take I-86 or I-80 which are wedged between the 2 toll roads of I-90 and I-76.

If all the interstates are tolled, many have said they'll switch to secondary roads (the primary routes that were there before the Interstates).

If even 10% of trucks got off the Interstates and onto the secondaries, that would be a huge mess for the small towns and local drivers (who would now be in an uproar). That's not to mention the damage since these roads "can" handle trucks but aren't made to take the volume the Interstates can.

There's a whole bunch of consequences...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 07:44 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,292,316 times
Whoa, we've lost focus here. the OP's intent was to blame the president for these toll roads, and present an argument that he is pushing for more toll roads in his grand quest to tax everyone more. Rather than speculation (lack of fawking real journalism) can we show some real proof that in fact he's lobbying to add more, and or increase tolls on our roads?

Or, is this just another thread by the OP pulled out of a political play book to gain an agenda?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Whoa, we've lost focus here. the OP's intent was to blame the president for these toll roads, and present an argument that he is pushing for more toll roads in his grand quest to tax everyone more. Rather than speculation (lack of fawking real journalism) can we show some real proof that in fact he's lobbying to add more, and or increase tolls on our roads?

Or, is this just another thread by the OP pulled out of a political play book to gain an agenda?
Damn it.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to MrWillys again."

Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
In general I like the idea that people who use a government "thing/road/service/park" PAY FOR IT, whereas those who do not use it, do not pay for it.

This is not possible in all cases of course, but many times it is.

I have no problem paying for the roads, highways, parks, camp grounds, and bridges I use.

Same with rivers and locks - the ships using those pay for their construction upkeep. (Like the Panama Canal.)

Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
On the "only pay for what you use" front, I would like a refund for all my taxes that have been used for our Forever War and subsidies for Big Agriculture. As far as toll roads are concerned I don't mind paying a toll for using the highway as the alternate would likely cost more in time and fuel. I have on an "Ez-Pass" box on my cars and motorcycle so I am not inconvenienced by the toll booths.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:17 AM

966 posts, read 1,345,706 times
easy way to solve this, they put up toll booths, no one pays a toll, everyone drives thru, how are they going to catch millions of drivers.
We all ready paid for those roads, and pay for the up keep in fuel taxes, if they can't figure out how to do their job with the funds at hand, they need to go. The govt seems to think the tax payer is a bottomless pit, well, I am taxed more than enough.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:29 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
On the "only pay for what you use" front, I would like a refund for all my taxes that have been used for our Forever War and subsidies for Big Agriculture. As far as toll roads are concerned I don't mind paying a toll for using the highway as the alternate would likely cost more in time and fuel. I have on an "Ez-Pass" box on my cars and motorcycle so I am not inconvenienced by the toll booths.
I agree with your first remark 100%. Also on the only pay for what you use front, I want a refund on all of my gas tax money that is used to fund mass transit which I don't use here locally- a good amount of our state gas tax money is diverted to transit while they now want to raise our state gas taxes because there is not enough money to maintain our roads.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:00 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,738,188 times
One problem with the gas tax is that because of the fact that cars are becoming more fuel efficient, there is less revenue from the gas tax to pay for and maintain existing roads. That is why more governments are looking to build more toll roads in the first place.

Old 05-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
One problem with the gas tax is that because of the fact that cars are becoming more fuel efficient, there is less revenue from the gas tax to pay for and maintain existing roads. That is why more governments are looking to build more toll roads in the first place.
So, the same *******s that dictated better mileage are now demanding more money due to their legislation.
They can't milk us much more before we refuse to comply...

Old 05-01-2014, 03:40 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
You have a magnetic reader in your car that charges you. If it doesn't detect your reader it takes picture and you get a love note in the mail.
My point is discrimination against out of state drivers. I live in a state that attracts a lot of people from outside the state, and only three or four (maybe five) spots where the Interstate comes into Vermont. If they wanted to make sure that those tolls are mostly paid by outsiders and not by Vermonters they could set the toll gates, whether physical or E-Z Pass, at the entrances to the state, with no other locations. Bingo! Vermonters don't pay during their daily drives, only when they leave the state and come back; meanwhile, out-of-staters are hit every time they drive in. This would probably violate the Commerce Clause, but it would need to be policed to make sure it doesn't happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive