Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:20 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,439,088 times

Advertisements

Despite how I've gotten several warnings and speeding tickets over my 20 year or so driving history, I don't think I'd want to do away with speed limits. Although I hate getting speeding tickets, it does make it worth it knowing those who really do drive much more recklessly than I am are on watch and also getting cited. As with most laws, the purpose is really against those minority that are breaking the rules. Most people don't need to know that homicide and driving recklessly is bad for society. It's always those fewer stragglers that the laws are for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM

13,534 posts, read 9,936,895 times
There would be no need for race tracks.

Cannonball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnp...yer_detailpage

Old 05-04-2014, 07:12 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
Despite how I've gotten several warnings and speeding tickets over my 20 year or so driving history, I don't think I'd want to do away with speed limits. Although I hate getting speeding tickets, it does make it worth it knowing those who really do drive much more recklessly than I am are on watch and also getting cited. As with most laws, the purpose is really against those minority that are breaking the rules. Most people don't need to know that homicide and driving recklessly is bad for society. It's always those fewer stragglers that the laws are for.
I agree. I've gotten several tickets for speeding, but I still support speed limits.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:20 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
People already drive like maniacs so why not?
As long as people are taught, and required to to drive correctly, I'd have no problem with it.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:33 PM

54,470 posts, read 33,753,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
People already drive like maniacs so why not?
Not all people who drive fast are maniacs, the maniacs are those who do not know their OWN limits and the limits of their vehicles.

I drive about 10-20 MPH on average above the limit, ONLY when road conditions allow it.

As for a No Speed Limit On Highways, I'd say Yes and No.. - Not in all lanes, but maybe have a lane designated for drivers who want to drive faster than the posted speed limits. You have to keep in mind also that not all freeways/highways were built for no speed limits and nowadays, with the conditions of the roads, they would have to do a lot of repairs on many highways before turning them into no speed limit highways.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:51 PM

29,751 posts, read 18,615,199 times
Speed is an arbitrary measure of safety. More important than how fast you're going is decision making ability with weather and traffic conditions, shape you're car's in to go the speed you go etc. I think more often than not, cops pulling people over for speeding are creating a greater hazard than what they are preventing....usually pull people over in perfect weather while reckless driving in bad weather finds them in the coffee shops.

Therefore, I would like no speed limits.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 PM

2,163 posts, read 3,098,591 times
I would be in favor of a 100 MPH speed limit in certain cases.

Limited access highway.
6 lanes minimum. (3 each way)
Highway must not pass within 20 miles of a population density of more than 25,000.
A study would have to be done to limit the maximum grade and curve of the road. Can't have a 100MPH limit with a dangerous curve.
Minimum stretch of road must be at least 50 miles. (That prevents having wildly flucating speed limits around cities.)

Old 05-05-2014, 01:14 PM

54,470 posts, read 33,753,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Slow poke laws are starting to target left lane plodders.

'Slowpoke' Laws Target Left-Lane Plodders | Fox Business
I know this is off topic somewhat, but I've also seen instances where "Slow Pokes", slow down anytime they see flashing lights of either highway patrol cars or emergency vehicles that are on the side of the road, and not blocking the flow of traffic, or when there are minor collisions, with the vehicles involved were moved over into the emergency lanes. Rubber-Neckers - They just have to slow down just to look.. In many cases such drivers create hazardous conditions, and I have seen instances where such drivers have caused accidents as a result.

Law enforcement officers in some states can issue citations for Hindering traffic under such circumstances.

Old 05-05-2014, 01:24 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I know this is off topic somewhat, but I've also seen instances where "Slow Pokes", slow down anytime they see flashing lights of either highway patrol cars or emergency vehicles that are on the side of the road, and not blocking the flow of traffic, or when there are minor collisions, with the vehicles involved were moved over into the emergency lanes. Rubber-Neckers - They just have to slow down just to look.. In many cases such drivers create hazardous conditions, and I have seen instances where such drivers have caused accidents as a result.

Law enforcement officers in some states can issue citations for Hindering traffic under such circumstances.
They're just obeying a Texas law that WILL be enforced (only took a couple/three police officers being hit by nimnulls who didn't slow down when passing such for the law to get passed and stringently enforced):

§ 545.157. PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE. (a) On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall: (1) vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the emergency vehicle; or (2) slow to a speed not to exceed: (A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or (B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour. (b) A violation of this section is: (1) a misdemeanor punishable under Section 542.401; (2) a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of $500 if the violation results in property damage; or (3) a Class B misdemeanor if the violation results in bodily injury. (c) If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an offense under another section of this code or the Penal Code, the actor may be prosecuted under either section or under both sections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive