Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:15 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantz65 View Post
First, he tried the "Several other people are really interested in this car" (2012 Chrysler Town and Country) spiel. .
How is him saying this a "scam"?

#1 He could easily be telling the truth. Someone could have been shown the car yesterday and told the salesman they'll think about it. It happens all the time. Do you think they sell a car at that exact moment every time someone looks at it or test drives it?

I'm sorry, but even if he lied, he's a salesman and it's his job to create urgency for you to buy. That's his JOB. There are PLENTY of scams in car dealerships and dishonest management. That's not one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 09:38 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
After the third trip back to talk over my "deal" with the sales manager, I left a note on the salesman's desk that I went home to consult with my "Sales Manager" and I'd see what she said. When he called to ask where I went, I told him that I was just playing the same game he was and how did he like it?
When they ask what I want to pay, I ask , how much profit do you want to make? Works much better!
I actually said something similar one time when I went with a roommate to buy a car. Of course the very first thing they asked her was if she had a trade in. I'd already informed her not to say she did until AFTER they quoted a price, because I had read that they'll just tack on the price of the trade in to the new car.

My roommate wanted a very specific car, and I did a little homework before we went. I knew what the car was worth, and the dealer was trying to add another $5,000 on top of the price of the car. She also continued to ask about a trade in. I would jump in and ask random questions about the car because, at the time, my roommate was very young and unsure of what to say. Not all questions were something the dealer would know, but I wanted to give my roommate time to come up with something to say instead of blurting out things when being put on the spot.

Dealer: "Do you have a trade in?"
Me: "So, how many owners has the car had?"

Dealer: "Do you have a trade in?"
Me: "Those tires didn't look very good, would you be willing to toss in four new tires if we buy, today?"

On and on it went.

Anyway, after I said that, about the profit, she got all fired up. She went on a screaming rampage right there in the dealership, literally screaming that we were idiots, we would never find a lower price on the car anywhere, she was the best dealer in the city (Seattle), etc. I grabbed my roommate's hand and said, "We're leaving. She can try to get another sucker but it's not going to be you, today". The dealer made such a scene that two other couples who were sitting down to discuss buying a car, got up and left with us.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Reduced the price of the car by the last 200 dollars I'd requested during round 8 or so of haggling.

Added the 200 back into the sales price by "accidentally" signing me up for a free oil change and tire rotation service deal I'd declined.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Never had a problem with a dealer. I already know the finance manager's job is to upsell on the back end, and all you have to do is say no. It's their job and they won't take it personally, so I don't. I get what I want and it's not stressful or difficult.
This is my attitude as well. An educated consumer doesn't get taken, and won't have to play the games. The company (all companies that sell) try to make the most money. The consumer wants the best deal. It has been this way since the first thing was traded for another thing.

I was in line at the DMV a couple weeks ago and (re)made an observation. The people that seemed to be having the hardest time, who are most likely the ones who complain about how much the DMV sucks, were the least prepared when they got there, and communicated the most poorly. I had several things to handle, but I came with everything I needed, and communicated well. I waited 25 minutes like everyone else, but the actual work part of my trip was done in a few minutes, and went smoothly.

When I was in sales I saw this as well. People who open themselves to the worst experience, through ignorance or attitude, get the worst experience, and then want to blame it all on the seller. It doesn't have to be like that, but for some people, their whole lives are.

I know car dealers use some questionable tactics. I also know people are out to screw the dealer as often as possible.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:16 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This isn't totally a scam. Thanks to the wonderful PATRIOT act an cash transaction over a certain amount($3000?) must be reported. So they would need your SSN. That does not mean you need your credit run, but that could have just been the idiot sales person babbling.

It's $10,000 and they're suppose to file Form 8300 but running your credit is not required. They're only doing it to get you to finance with them.

FAQs Regarding Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Form 8300)

Old 05-03-2014, 11:29 AM

1,522 posts, read 3,001,033 times
I'm surprised every one of you hasn't mentioned the "document fee" scam that is padded onto every car sale ever.

For whatever reason dealers usually haven't given me much hassle.

One minor one I did get screwed on is throughout the whole process I never thought to ask how many keys it had. Signed for everything, bought the car, and the salesguy says "Ohbythewaythere'sonlyonekeyhereyougothanksbye !"

Not a huge deal, but considering the keys are like $80 kind of annoying.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:42 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I'm surprised every one of you hasn't mentioned the "document fee" scam that is padded onto every car sale ever.

For whatever reason dealers usually haven't given me much hassle.

One minor one I did get screwed on is throughout the whole process I never thought to ask how many keys it had. Signed for everything, bought the car, and the salesguy says "Ohbythewaythere'sonlyonekeyhereyougothanksbye !"

Not a huge deal, but considering the keys are like $80 kind of annoying.

Not a big deal for buyers in California cause doc fees are capped at $80 by law. But I've heard buyers in other states paying $300-$1000, which is crazy and I would definitely have a problem with that.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:46 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There was a CD poster who had the car keys trick pulled on him. IIRC he was told that the sales manager had his car keys, and they were waiting for him to get back from lunch. The poster pulled out his spare keys, said well ok, you've got my address; when he gets back from lunch, have them delivered to my home. Whaddayaknow, right that moment they discovered that the sales manager had in fact returned from lunch, gave him back his keys, and he was on his way.
Isn't that the Clark Griswold maneuver?

Old 05-03-2014, 03:52 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,711,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkobe View Post
It's $10,000 and they're suppose to file Form 8300 but running your credit is not required. They're only doing it to get you to finance with them.

FAQs Regarding Reporting Cash Payments of Over $10,000 (Form 8300)
The $10k is an old requirement that had been in place since the 80s. The PATRIOT act added additional requirements and the amount is way lower. As I said, there is no need for them to run your credit, but I can see them requiring a SSN. Also, some dealers will refuse to give you a deal if you pay in cash, as they get a big kick back for the financing. That amount often is higher than the profit on the car itself.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are so many vehicle buying programs that you can use you never even need to go talk to a sakes guy. I plan on using the Costco or go to a few of them to get some competitive rates
So what websites are best to assist a buyer in getting the best deal?
I haven't bought a car from a dealer in 25 years and tho i am pretty computer savvy i'm not sure what the MO is.
I think i will open a new thread for this subject so as not to hijack this one..sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive