Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 05:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
When a dealer wouldn't return my keys my wife and I went to their candy machine and bough the kids ages 6 and 3 chocolate bars, and sent them to see the pretty cars on the showroom floor. That got the salesman running with our keys. Another time a Chrysler/Jeep salesman and I had been dealing for an hour, when another salesman came in and asked for the keys to the vehicle I was looking at to show someone else. That one didn't work, I handed them to him. My salesman jumped up and grabbed them back. Our last two vehicles, a 2007 Ranger and a 2014 Escape both came from the same dealer. Both times they quickly agreed to my terms, didn't play any games, and so I have stuck with them.

LOL @ chocolate bars. That was brilliant. Where did you buy your Ranger and Escape? I bought my last vehicle at Bowen Scarf in Kent. I think I could have haggled a slightly better deal elsewhere, but they were such a pleasure to deal with that I considered it well worth it.

A friend once explained to me that while everybody hates the lying, browbeating, double-dealing salesman, the fact is that those are the guys who make the sale, and that's why there are so many of them at car dealerships. Probably true, and an interesting commentary on human nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:06 PM

497 posts, read 696,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Some dealers will ask for the keys to your trade-in vehicle so their mechanics can look over it to access it's trade-in value. You change your mind about the deal or decide to go home and talk it over with the spouse before making a final decision but you can't leave because they won't give you your keys and vehicle as they continue to pressure you into buying on the spot..
Just got back from trying to buy a new car and this happened to me. I had to ask the salesman twice to return my key. He said he had to go and get it - all along his boss was trying to get me to buy the car. I finally told the supervisor that the deal was dead when they presented me a quote that included $5000 in options I never asked for. I also told him that I did not appreciate them holding my car key hostage.

I got up from the table to walk outside and wait for my key. I saw my original sales guy playing with his phone. He saw me and turned over my car key. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealership to buy a car.

It has been 10 years since I bought a car, and this has been a very unpleasant experience. A previous Honda dealer was just as bad - listed the MSRP as $3K more than what is shown on Honda's website. Ugh! I don't see why this process has to be so difficult.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:11 PM

861 posts, read 1,336,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirlatl View Post
Just got back from trying to buy a new car and this happened to me. I had to ask the salesman twice to return my key. He said he had to go and get it - all along his boss was trying to get me to buy the car. I finally told the supervisor that the deal was dead when they presented me a quote that included $5000 in options I never asked for. I also told him that I did not appreciate them holding my car key hostage.

I got up from the table to walk outside and wait for my key. I saw my original sales guy playing with his phone. He saw me and turned over my car key. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that dealership to buy a car.

It has been 10 years since I bought a car, and this has been a very unpleasant experience. A previous Honda dealer was just as bad - listed the MSRP as $3K more than what is shown on Honda's website. Ugh! I don't see why this process has to be so difficult.

Use this free service to buy your next car: https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main.html .... it will save you a lot of headache and money.

'

Old 05-03-2014, 08:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
LOL @ chocolate bars. That was brilliant. Where did you buy your Ranger and Escape? I bought my last vehicle at Bowen Scarf in Kent. I think I could have haggled a slightly better deal elsewhere, but they were such a pleasure to deal with that I considered it well worth it.

A friend once explained to me that while everybody hates the lying, browbeating, double-dealing salesman, the fact is that those are the guys who make the sale, and that's why there are so many of them at car dealerships. Probably true, and an interesting commentary on human nature.
Bickford in Snohomish. Well worth the drive. The Ranger was stickered at $26k, I got it for $22k, the Escape (SE 4x4) stickered at $28,100 and got it for $23,689. No back and forth, just made my offer and it was accepted both times, though different sales people. Also got what I wanted for both trades.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:50 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Most recently when I looked at a '14 Nissan Altima SV... sticker was $27,500, acted like they were giving me a deal at $23,500 - I get home and look at the same car on their website and it is priced at $21,500!

I wasn't happy.

Also, not sure about your area, but what is this crap I am seeing in addition to the window sticker that the dealer has added that says "AMV", adjusted market value and it is about $2,000 higher than the MSRP???

Old 05-03-2014, 08:51 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
In 1995, a Pittsburgh area dealer reported that they "lost" my keys.

I immediately asked what kind of loaner they were going to give me while they had new ones ordered.

They "found" my keys within 20 seconds.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:55 PM

794 posts, read 818,919 times
Interesting to learn about the "lost" key thing.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
How is him saying this a "scam"?

#1 He could easily be telling the truth. Someone could have been shown the car yesterday and told the salesman they'll think about it. It happens all the time. Do you think they sell a car at that exact moment every time someone looks at it or test drives it?

I'm sorry, but even if he lied, he's a salesman and it's his job to create urgency for you to buy. That's his JOB. There are PLENTY of scams in car dealerships and dishonest management. That's not one of them.
For the most part a dealer knows once a person leaves without a purchase they will not be back

72% of customers tell their salesperson they are “just looking” at the initial greeting.
71% of customers say they bought their vehicle because they like, trusted and respected their salesperson.
85% of consumers say their salesperson DID NOT control the sales process, build any rapport
88% of customers said they received a lousy presentation and demonstration.
50% of customers said they bought on the spot when they got what they felt was a good presentation and demonstration.
93% of customers did not get a service walk as part of the sales process.
94% of salespeople are not confident of the price in the close.
90% of sales people DO NOT do any follow-up whether the customer purchases or not.
82% of customers cannot remember the sales persons name 1 year after their purchase.
78% of customers who visit your showroom buy a vehicle somewhere
85% of customers made up their mind to purchase a vehicle before they left their house.
38% of customers purchase within 4 hours of visiting their first dealership.
57% of consumers purchase within 3 days of visiting their first dealership.
90% of customers purchase within 1 week of visiting their first dealership.
30% of customers have a family member who will purchase a vehicle in the next 90 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
So what websites are best to assist a buyer in getting the best deal?
I haven't bought a car from a dealer in 25 years and tho i am pretty computer savvy i'm not sure what the MO is.
I think i will open a new thread for this subject so as not to hijack this one..sorry.
I looked for a new work truck and Costco had the best price quote from a local Ford dealer who specializes in commercial trucks. But Truecar and plenty of others, get them all to give you quotes. Shop around and read up on what dealerships do and how they work so you're not gonna get scammed.

IMO the only people who get scammed are the ones who let themselves be scammed. Last I checked nobody can force you to buy something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
Interesting to learn about the "lost" key thing.
Yeah they used to use that one back when I was a kid looking for a car. I just never trade in. I can make more if I sell myself.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:57 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
The $10k is an old requirement that had been in place since the 80s. The PATRIOT act added additional requirements and the amount is way lower. As I said, there is no need for them to run your credit, but I can see them requiring a SSN. Also, some dealers will refuse to give you a deal if you pay in cash, as they get a big kick back for the financing. That amount often is higher than the profit on the car itself.
So how expensive of a car can one buy if paying in cash. We no longer have banks in our area and most no longer have bank accounts, most transactions larger than $50 are handled either by cash or blank US Postal money orders. I am looking at a $9K auto and plan to show up with 10-11, $1000 US money orders, my SSN is very personal to me and have no intention of giving it out.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:30 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,271 times
I have several actually, but here is one that sticks out in my mind from a years back.

Purchased a Dodge Ram in Anchorage, Ak. Price was right as the truck had 160 miles on it. I asked about the miles and they said they used it to run a few errands around town for the dealership. I thought no big deal, 160 easy miles, price is good. The deal was made just before closing at about 10pm or late, I was actually still there after they closed up finishing up the paperwork.

As you know this is Alaska we are talking about, so the back bed was full of snow. Got the truck home, pulled into my garage, went to bed. Got up the next morning, snow was all melted and noticed the entire bed of the truck was filled with deep scratches down to the bare metal, up the side walls. It looked like three Siberian tigers had a knock down brawl back there. Called up the dealership pretty pissed off and they acted dumb and gave me the run around. finally the manager called and said, "sorry, once you drive it off the lot, it's your tuck, we have no idea what you're talking about, you must have done it, bye, bye. Yea, you bet buddy, I stopped in the local gravel pit at 11pm and hauled some gravel home last night. LOL. I was pissed, this was a brand new $36,000 truck we're talking about...

So I did some foot work and research and found out the dealership had used this truck at several local rodeos events for advertising etc.. and put huge barrels, hay bails and God knows what else back in there. This is how it got all scratched up.

I hired an attorney and he sent them a pretty nasty letter. Manager called me back up apologized and offered a free spray in bed liner. I agreed to it, but told everyone in town about my experience there.

Why can't dealers just be honest? Some are and they get great repeat customers when they play it straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive