Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 06:11 PM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post

What if I told you I "Love" the sound of fog horns and decided to mount one on the back of my pickup truck?
Go ahead, I double dog dare you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:45 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,480,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4539 View Post
That's right, and right now I am having to hear loud exhaust noises every 5 minutes or less.
Ill sum it up for you...

Not everybody feels the same way you do. This is what makes our country so friggin awesome. Believe it or not, but if you are not happy with your general location, you are free to pack up and move to a more desirable area. There are plenty of things I dont like, but I dont push people to try to make laws to forbid it because you dont like it.

Im sure we can find things you like that may be annoying to us. It really goes both ways.

I happen to be a fan of a sweet sounding V8 exhaust or a good sounding intake. My truck has a pretty good sounding x-pipe and no muffler. I dont like the fart can tuner cars, but I don't try to get them banned. They like that. They have a passion for something.

There are far larger problems to worry about in this county. Policing loud cars is NOT one of them. Let it go.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:00 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
YOU "love" various vehicle sounds. You are an A-hole because you inflict those sounds on everyone else. End of story.
Wow...so without knowing anything else about a person, you've already judged them based on the volume of their vehicle exhaust.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:04 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhemi View Post
There are plenty of things I dont like, but I dont push people to try to make laws to forbid it because you dont like it.
If only more people listened to this. It's a simple concept that goes a long way.

Plenty of things I don't like that I see in my daily travels...but I don't go on a "ban this, ban that" tirade.

Plenty of other things to worry about these days

Old 05-06-2014, 08:24 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
YOU "love" various vehicle sounds. You are an A-hole because you inflict those sounds on everyone else. End of story. Why should people sitting in their living room be subjected the the noise you "love" when you drive by their homes?

What if I told you I "Love" the sound of fog horns and decided to mount one on the back of my pickup truck?

so he shouldnt get to enjoy what he wants just because it would possibly annoy you for the 10 seconds it would take for him to drive by your house? I bet you're an absolute hoot at parties!

Old 05-06-2014, 08:42 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,995,615 times
WHAT???? I can't hear you over the sound of all the obnoxious Harleys riding by!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:35 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,294,323 times
Quote:
YOU "love" various vehicle sounds. You are an A-hole because you inflict those sounds on everyone else. End of story. Why should people sitting in their living room be subjected the the noise you "love" when you drive by their homes?

Hey, youre an Ahole because I have to listen to your opinion. Why should you be allowed ot inflict your insulting opinion on everyone else when it's so damn annoying to read?

In fact, I'll bet you're damn ugly too, and inflict your ugliness on everyone around you when you walk in a crowd. Why should they have to look at your ugliness when it's so damn annoying?

You want to ban things that annoy you? Let's start with your closed minded, ugly, annoying personality.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:34 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
The price of gas will silence those car noises. When the gas price approached $5/gal I rarely hear people revving and most of these inefficient cars stay in the driveway.

We may hit $5 again if speculators have their ways again.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:49 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,319,577 times
I am not necessarily advocating for laws on this (although they do exist to a certain extent), but I myself can't stand loud mufflers on vehicles. It's simply noise for the sake of noise, and to me it's ignorant.

I live in eastern TX but for the most part don't have to deal with it. I did when I lived in Tucson AZ, in that case it wasn't so much the 4x4s but typically it was a "sporty exhaust pipe" aftermarket mounted on a small car. Those are very annoying too.

To me, and I'm not a blowhard I don't think anyway, but it is most assuredly NOT a "cool" sound at ALL. It is noise for the sake of noise, which is silly (beyond things like, say, firecrackers on the 4th of July etc). Someone mentioned about it being ridiculous to get upset over a 10 second occurrence--well if that was the only amount of exposure one had to endure, I'd agree, but the problem is that typically there will be more than 1, so it's numerous times.

Someone else mentioned barking dogs--I agree, and in fact that is probably my #1 complaint with regards to noise pollution. People who REFUSE to make their dogs shut the heck up are people who ought to be thrown in jail, and in fact in Italy I'm told that is a very real possibility. It should be that way EVERYWHERE. No one wants to hear your yorkie yap and yap and yap and yap and yap at everything from A to Zinc. When I read stories about neighbors killing another neighbor's dog, I don't feel sorry for the dog owner in the least and to a certain extent I even CHEER this sort of thing. I say this because typically when you ask the dog owner, even nicely, to PLEASE try and curtail the noise their dog makes, you are basically told "go f`u-c`k yourself" or the like. Moreover, the laws, when there are any, do little to protect property owners' rights to peacefully and quietly enjoy their property free from such distressing noise pollution. That someone poisons or "kidnaps" a neighbor's dog is not a reflection on how sick such people are, it's a reflection on what jerks many dog owners are.

And hey, no one is saying we have to walk around on eggshells whispering all the time, life does involve a certain amount of inevitable noise, yes. However, you are being a nuisance when you deliberately design your car to be noisy and rattle people's windows over it and when your dog yaps all the live long day and you do nothing to make them stop. As for the dog barking and the owners saying "I can't make it stop"--like heck you can't. That durn dog would sure enough stop barking if you'd put your foot up its a`s-s and show it who's boss. Either that, or get a shock collar, or have it trained. And don't tell me how those things are "abuse," that's no different than someone having a noisy brat of a child in a nice restaurant and refusing to do anything to make them stop because giving them a pop on their rear-end is "abuse." You're being a wuss of a dog owner or parent letting your dog/child run the show, and it's not cool. The REAL "abuse" going on is the abuse you're heaping onto the people around you who have to hear your yorkie yap all day or have their romantic dinner spoiled by your obnoxious brat.

Last edited by shyguylh; 05-06-2014 at 11:58 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 11:58 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,175,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Moreover, the laws, when there are any, do little to protect property owners' rights to peacefully and quietly enjoy their property free from such distressing noise pollution.
Must've missed the day in Civics class when they discussed that 'right'.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive